A good cheap Pre-Amp dac

chander

Looking for a good preamp+Dac to go between BS Node 2i & Genelec G3s. XLR output is a must :)

Budget - under 50K?

Looking for a good preamp+Dac to go between BS Node 2i & Genelec G3s. XLR output is a must :)

Budget - under 50K?
Would a soekris r2r interest you? It's got preamp built in, rca and XLR out, ir reader and a display.

MaSh

thanks for all who chimed in. So I am primarily considering the SMSL SU-9N, but the reports on the devices failing and general issues with after sales support is a bit scary. Any SMSL owners here - who can chime in with the reliability of the equipment?

thanks for all who chimed in. So I am primarily considering the SMSL SU-9N, but the reports on the devices failing and general issues with after sales support is a bit scary. Any SMSL owners here - who can chime in with the reliability of the equipment?
Have atleast had 3 smsl amps in the past and using one currently. Never faced any issues ever...also if it's bought from a source like hifi express who offer a 2 year warranty ,there's some sort of peace of mind. However maybe I've just been lucky while others have had issues with SMSL.
I've also had a good experience dealing with SMSL as a company & a polite request for help when things( amp/dac) go bad has always worked.
Can't say the same about Indian dealers though...as I've never had to approach them.

I have been using an SMSL SU6 - DAC for little over a Year. Gem of a product. No problems yet. I purchsed it from https://shenzhenaudio.com/ . I am looking at buying/upgrading to another SMSL product soon.

IMO Soekris would be a better option as a dac and preamp in one , never tried the SU9N but had the SU8. Soekris is leagues above the SU8 although I never used it as a preamp only. On the reliability aspect Smsl dacs are well made, a 2018 dac is still going strong.

Although if your requirement is for a preamp only you might be better served with Schiit Freya ( non tube version) / Schiit Freya + ( tube version). Freya will be near your budget and is a very good preamp, Saga too but it will not have XLR outs.

Although if your requirement is for a preamp only
Ideally want a DAC preamp. I was using the Node 2i with digital out to AL 6000a and the AL Dac was lot more neutral compared to the BS Node 2i, where you definitely hear bass bump. Want something as neutral or better than AL 6000a, hence was inclined towards the SMSL given the reviews about them being neutral or having no sound :)

Thanks for confirming that they are reliable enough to take a plunge.

Ideally want a DAC preamp. I was using the Node 2i with digital out to AL 6000a and the AL Dac was lot more neutral compared to the BS Node 2i, where you definitely hear bass bump. Want something as neutral or better than AL 6000a, hence was inclined towards the SMSL given the reviews about them being neutral or having no sound :)

Thanks for confirming that they are reliable enough to take a plunge.
if you are going with SMSL SU series, go with the pro version.

if you are going with SMSL SU series, go with the pro version.
What are the differences to be expected in SU 9 Pro vs SU 9N? This is what the company lists - I have no idea what is an XMOS or how much difference a "jitter elimination tech" adds (audibly). I do not need MQA.

Headphone-Zone-SMSL-SU9-Pro-06_1160x.jpg

Another one for your consideration and for little money. Complete review here

What are the differences to be expected in SU 9 Pro vs SU 9N? This is what the company lists - I have no idea what is an XMOS or how much difference a "jitter elimination tech" adds (audibly). I do not need MQA.

better architecture, better DAC and better OP amp for a price difference i think of around 5 or 6 k is worthwhile.

To me, the last difference in the list is the most significant: "Fully fitted color IPS display screen" vs. "Color IPS display screen". :p

Also - SU-9 PRO uses the new ES9039MPRO DAC Chip

Cambridge DAC Magic 100 is also a decent sounding dac. I know it is a quite old model but mid - range is good. I too have it.

PS: just read that you need XLR, which is not there

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back