Denafrips vs. Chord Qutest

X man

Am considering purchasing a DAC and am confused between Denafrip Ares and Chord Qutest. Have read and seen video reviews on comparisons but still confused. Most reviews suggest Ares is more organic (analog like) some suggest it compromises on detail. Chord seems to offer better imaging/ detail but not sure if it it can be more fatiguing to ears.

Was looking for views/ recommendations from forum members between the two or either based on their own experience?

Also a very basic Qs will either of these make a big difference to sound vs Marantz CD600X or Bluesound node 2i DAC?

Thanks

Both are good dacs, and sound different. And they will be huge improvement over bluesound dac for sure, even marantz.

What are you looking for? What is your chain?

I have a bluesound node / cd6004 source, roksan K3 amp and monitor audio Rx6 (silver series) speakers. After I got my bluesound node 2i , i was initially under the impression that it's dac was supposed to be good but later realised that marantz cd sounds better..bluesound dac sounded leaner and less richer for same tracks

..so am looking to add a dac to the chain ..looking for more fuller and richer sound ( good texture of vocals) , good soundstage.

Am open to any suggestions for a good dac...

Am considering purchasing a DAC and am confused between Denafrip Ares and Chord Qutest. Have read and seen video reviews on comparisons but still confused. Most reviews suggest Ares is more organic (analog like) some suggest it compromises on detail. Chord seems to offer better imaging/ detail but not sure if it it can be more fatiguing to ears.

Was looking for views/ recommendations from forum members between the two or either based on their own experience?

Also a very basic Qs will either of these make a big difference to sound vs Marantz CD600X or Bluesound node 2i DAC?

Thanks
I have the Qutest. It can be anything but fatiguing. I mean to say it is a very good dac. The first 2-4 months will be a roller coaster ride due to burn in.

Ares i dont have. But few who have had, had sold it soon, to get a higher and more expensive version i.e pontus.

In Qutest what i like most is the midrange and the tonal balance.

but later realised that marantz cd sounds better..bluesound dac sounded leaner and less richer for same tracks

..so am looking to add a dac to the chain ..looking for more fuller and richer sound ( good texture of vocals) , good soundstage.

To be honest, bluesound has a very crappy dac. That is the main reason why marantz sounds better. Use bluesound only with a external dac.

Ares is a beautiful DAC, I have owned quite some dacs in past. It's only when I decided to let go the ares and after selling it , I realised what I was missing.

You won't go wrong with ares, it will suit the things you pointed out. I don't know how different it sounds after the new firmware but it is really good DAC.

I own a gustard R26 now, and it made me fall in love again with the music.

I have a bluesound node / cd6004 source, roksan K3 amp and monitor audio Rx6 (silver series) speakers. After I got my bluesound node 2i , i was initially under the impression that it's dac was supposed to be good but later realised that marantz cd sounds better..bluesound dac sounded leaner and less richer for same tracks

Some might say Iam wrong, but in my own experience it is really difficult to beat CD playback. I have a lumin U1X feeding a esoteric K-01 CD player cum dac. And spinning CD's beats streaming from the Lumin everytime. And I tried streaming local CD rips from my Nas vs playing the actual CD. And surprisingly CD still sounds better. So my inference would be to not compare the Dac in the bluesound with the Dac inside your marantz CD player.

To be honest, bluesound has a very crappy dac. That is the main reason why marantz sounds better. Use bluesound only with a external dac.

Ares is a beautiful DAC, I have owned quite some dacs in past. It's only when I decided to let go the ares and after selling it , I realised what I was missing.

You won't go wrong with ares, it will suit the things you pointed out. I don't know how different it sounds after the new firmware but it is really good DAC.

I own a gustard R26 now, and it made me fall in love again with the music.
I also heard gustard r26 and liked it a lot... It's costlier though

I also heard gustard r26 and liked it a lot... It's costlier though
yes costlier but HPZ is having blackfriday sales, slightly cheaper now.

Also the features and options you get with this are superb, one can live with this Dac which can also be used as a streamer.

Had the Ares for quite a while and have heard the Qutest for a few hours. Both are good. They have different presentation. Chord has that sense of occasion whereas the Ares will happily work in the background without calling attention to itself. Not saying that the Qutest is fatiguing.

The CD transport has a big part to play in the CD sounding better with the Marantz CD6004. The DAC is in the Bluesound is lets say 'serviceable', nothing more. Either of the DACs that you mentioned will elevate your streaming listening experience but the Ares and Qutest are not equivalent comparisons in my opinion. I have the Qutest and so colour me biased to some extent but Pontus or higher is more of a right comparison with the Qutest I think.
As others have mentioned, they sound very different from one another, try and listen to at least one of them before you take the plunge. Having said that, one can very rarely go wrong with the Qutest, for me it is a keeper and I have tried a good many DACs before this, in the same price point, lower and even a little higher. Tonally Qutest is the best I have heard in this range and that says a lot.

Another cheaper alternative I would say is the Chord's very own Mojo 2. This is an amazing piece of digital wizardry that I can not praise enough. It has replaced all my other headphone DAC/Amps, it also puts in a champion performance as a DAC in the main system. Very similar to the Qutest but slightly more energetic I will say, it will make you groove. Till I reach the point where I can afford something like a DCS Bartok (which is never....in this life), I will stay with Chord and buy the Qutest 2 when that is out.

I happened to own Denafrips Ares2 and Terminator after using Chord Qutest. Qutest is good DAC and one of the best from DS side at that price point. Much better than most of the Topping and SMSL.
But with R2R DAC the emphasis is more on Tonality, than details. Its more Analogish in general with meaty tonality. I'd skew towards Qutest if details are important for you, Ares2 is otherwise good.
Bifrost 2 and still better is Gustard R26 which are way Superior to Ares2 in my humble opinion. I'd suggest to get Qutest or Gustard R26 if budget permits.

I had the opportunity to hear to Chord Qutest and Mojo2 and the difference between the two was very slight, which in my perception was mainly the soundstage width (Qutest seemed to do a bit more). But for the price of Mojo2, it is very very difficult to beat it. I choose Mojo2 as the main DAC of my system and living happily. It is a groovy dac and brings a big smile and foot tapping "go" to the music.
If you want a r2r flavour, see if you can get a 1862 dac from anywhere.
I have both the 1862 and Mojo2 and prefer Mojo2 slightly.

Is Mojo2 a good DAC for HI fi system and comparing with existing bluesound dac. Is charging the dac an issue when u listen to music for a few hours ..?

Is Mojo2 a good DAC for HI fi system and comparing with existing bluesound dac. Is charging the dac an issue when u listen to music for a few hours ..?
Mojo is better than bluesound internal dac. In general mojo would be better than most of the streamers internal dac.

Charging can be done while listening to music.
The only thing, as there is battery inside it will need replacement and it will not hold charge for long. ...may be after many months. Though this is not a deal breaker.

For a stereo system a desktop dac is better. I would prefer the qutest. But yes it is more expensive.

Mojo is better than bluesound internal dac. In general mojo would be better than most of the streamers internal dac.

Charging can be done while listening to music.
The only thing, as there is battery inside it will need replacement and it will not hold charge for long. ...may be after many months. Though this is not a deal breaker.

For a stereo system a desktop dac is better. I would prefer the qutest. But yes it is more expensive.
Thanks

Some might say Iam wrong, but in my own experience it is really difficult to beat CD playback. I have a lumin U1X feeding a esoteric K-01 CD player cum dac. And spinning CD's beats streaming from the Lumin everytime. And I tried streaming local CD rips from my Nas vs playing the actual CD. And surprisingly CD still sounds better. So my inference would be to not compare the Dac in the bluesound with the Dac inside your marantz CD player.
+1

Thanks
These two are on the opposite ends of the sound spectrum in terms of tuning. Ares is definitely more organic sounding but also a bit too rounded, can compromise detail. Not the best option if you listen to old bollywood songs. Qutest is way bright on the other hand. Thin sounding especially vocals. The DACs in Marantz or similar gear would be more neutral and I would say the best option out of these.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back