A good dth with full hd picture and 5.1 sound

dibunoel

i like to buy a dth system mainly for movies. i am really crazy about full hd picture and 5.1 sound in moves.. so which dth platform best for me. ...

i like to buy a dth system mainly for movies. i am really crazy about full hd picture and 5.1 sound in moves.. so which dth platform best for me. ...

No DTH has full hd (1080p). All use 1080i. Some of the hd cahnnels have 5.1 audio in Dolby Digital. I'm using Videocon D2H which is the cheapest HD option at present using South Silver base pack with HD addon pack.

Tata Sky is known to have the BEST picture quality while videocon has the best channel package. All others fall in between. Decide what is more important to your requirement.

Tata Sky is known to have the BEST picture quality while videocon has the best channel package. All others fall in between. Decide what is more important to your requirement.

I disagree, PQ of TS HD and d2h HD is same. Its a perception that PQ of TS HD is better. i have posted this many times in the forum as i have both. It would be good if we get this misconception out as its being going on for years. I had it for many years and it changed this year post moving to D2h .

No DTH has full hd (1080p). All use 1080i. Some of the hd cahnnels have 5.1 audio in Dolby Digital. I'm using Videocon D2H which is the cheapest HD option at present using South Silver base pack with HD addon pack.

Not necessarily, here is comparison for my needs:
tatasky.jpg

I have factored videocon long term 1 year recharge, which gives 1 months free. Tata Sky gives 15 Rs credit every 300+ recharge per month. So that gives a 180 rs credit annually. Even after that Videocon is 900 rs costlier than Tata Sky.

When it comes to Channel package, they dont have HOB Defined HD pack which is sad for a movie buff, because I really love that channel. Somehow I feel the PQ is much better in HBO HD channels. Not sure if its just me

I still prefer Tata Sky HD.

Last edited:
madbullram

U r right my frnd hbo hd channels r gud , movies come these two channels r great earlier videocon d2h was frist to employ 22 hd channels but it missed hbo two hd channels.

tatasky.jpg

I have factored videocon long term 1 year recharge, which gives 1 months free. Tata Sky gives 15 Rs credit every 300+ recharge per month. So that gives a 180 rs credit annually. Even after that Videocon is 900 rs costlier than Tata Sky.

When it comes to Channel package, they dont have HOB Defined HD pack which is sad for a movie buff, because I really love that channel. Somehow I feel the PQ is much better in HBO HD channels. Not sure if its just me

Ram, few corrections, d2h is cheaper in monthly recharge than TS, as you get 3% extra when you recharge online and recharge before 7 days gets additional Rs 15. In all for a Rs 350 recharge i end up getting Rs 25 extra.

I don't know for which package you are calculating the annual cost, But in South Gold HD pack Rs 399 pack in d2h you get all HD channels apart from premium and most of the other channels. Same thing in Tatasky would cost over Rs 475 and still you will not get all 21 HD channels still. The HD access fees is a killer here. Also if you go for the yearly package straight up, it is costing Rs 5350. You end up paying hardly Rs 550 for the HD STB then.

Without going into this endless "which-DTH-is-best?" debate choose as per what you need. Decide what's best for you, and enjoy. There is no significant quality difference in any of the 3 big players - airtel/TS/D2H. I have D2H HD, I am paying around 455 rs per month for South Silver Sports + HD Globe pack, this is just 155 Rs more than my previous 300 p.m. Hathway SD Cable box. I have no complaints.

Yes TSHD has better service overall, and the D2H guys are not very professional. But that does not impact my day-2-day TV watching.

tatasky.jpg

Here are my two cents, comparing standard channel offerings, w/o premium channels.

Scenario one : Top of the line Mega/Platinum/whatever-you-call-it pack
- TSHD : South Mega HD Pack - 7500 per year, i.e. 625 rs p.m
- D2HHD : South Platinum HD Pack 541 p.m. + 1 month free, so 541*12/13 = 500 rs p.m.
- That's a 125 rs p.m. savings

Scenario Two : All sports base pack + All HD channels
- TSHD : No such direct packs : closest is "grand sports + Combo Ten + HD Access Fee" = 450 + 105 + 125 = 680 rs p.m.
- D2H HD : "South Gold Sports + HD Globe" = 300 + 169 = 469 rs p.m.
- That's a 211 rs p.m. savings.

So, as you see, cost-wise TSHD is never cheaper than D2HHD.

And there is NO tangible, if at all, difference in PQ between TSHD to D2H-HD. I absolutely agree with Dushie, that this misconception has been spread for quite long.

Here are my two cents, comparing standard channel offerings, w/o premium channels.

- D2HHD : South Platinum HD Pack 541 p.m. + 1 month free, so 541*12/13 = 500 rs p.m.

- TSHD : No such direct packs : closest is "grand sports + Combo Ten + HD Access Fee" = 450 + 105 + 125 = 680 rs p.m.

So, as you see, cost-wise TSHD is never cheaper than D2HHD.

And there is NO tangible, if at all, difference in PQ between TSHD to D2H-HD. I absolutely agree with Dushie, that this misconception has been spread for quite long.

First of all @Madhubalram where u got this quote for 500 multi tv concept.

for south platinum base 541 , 2nd 3rd connection only 250 p.m.

why one should for south gold sports already in hd globe all the main sports channels are there.

d2h: south silver base pack(176)+hd globe (169)=345 p.m only how much you are saving now .

Cost wise no tom ,dick and harry can come near to videocon d2h.It is the best in india currently.HD video ,audio quality on par with others.Yes it has some disadv of signal issues during rainy days,remote and stb issues.But it is common to all others also.

Ram, few corrections, d2h is cheaper in monthly recharge than TS, as you get 3% extra when you recharge online and recharge before 7 days gets additional Rs 15. In all for a Rs 350 recharge i end up getting Rs 25 extra.

I don't know for which package you are calculating the annual cost, But in South Gold HD pack Rs 399 pack in d2h you get all HD channels apart from premium and most of the other channels. Same thing in Tatasky would cost over Rs 475 and still you will not get all 21 HD channels still. The HD access fees is a killer here. Also if you go for the yearly package straight up, it is costing Rs 5350. You end up paying hardly Rs 550 for the HD STB then.

I did not know that will update 25rs credit for Videocon and recalculate. For Tata, I am using Grand Sports. If I go with South Gold, i will have to add Fox crime add-on, AXN add-on, Sun HD which increases by around 200+ right?

My need all English movies, entertainment, tamil, and sports channels. It includes Fox , AXN, Travel etc. I dont need Ten sports, as I hardly watch that.

First of all @Madhubalram where u got this quote for 500 multi tv concept.

for south platinum base 541 , 2nd 3rd connection only 250 p.m.

why one should for south gold sports already in hd globe all the main sports channels are there.

d2h: south silver base pack(176)+hd globe (169)=345 p.m only how much you are saving now .

Check my reply for channels. This is specific for my needs and wants. One question I have is, are you saying for 2 multi-room connection the cost is only 250rs and not 500rs? The Videocon CC told me for every 2nd and 3nd its 250 + 250 = 500. Thats why I added 500 rs.

Last edited:
I did not know that will update 25rs credit for Videocon and recalculate. For Tata, I am using Grand Sports. If I go with South Gold, i will have to add Fox crime add-on, AXN add-on, Sun HD which increases by around 200+ right?

My need all English movies, entertainment, tamil, and sports channels. It includes Fox , AXN, Travel etc. I dont need Ten sports, as I hardly watch that.

Check my reply for channels. This is specific for my needs and wants. One question I have is, are you saying for 2 multi-room connection the cost is only 250rs and not 500rs? The Videocon CC told me for every 2nd and 3nd its 250 + 250 = 500. Thats why I added 500 rs.

My 2 cents, i think for each and every person based on the needs and scenario the cost calculation would change, so would be the provider. For me TS was turning out to be expensive as i had to go for Metro pack for Rs 340 and HD access fee for Rs 125. Total Rs 465 and still i was not getting all the HD channels, i was not interested in the premium content.

In D2h HD i am getting all the 21 HD channels plus the basic package for Rs 345 only. Straigt away saving of over Rs 100 per month and i get all the 21 + HD channels i want to see. In TS getting these 21 HD channels would turn out to be expensive and i would need to move to higher packs.

So in the end, calculate what works cheaper for you and go for the same.

That's exactly my point, it's not correct to say tata sky is costliest or videocon cheapest. It's completely based on needs and combination. One needs to analyse and see which works best for their needs.

Dushie: can clarify in videocon do they charge 250 flat irrespective of number of multiroom connection? If they do its really a huge cost saver for me, can u clarify?

That's exactly my point, it's not correct to say tata sky is costliest or videocon cheapest. It's completely based on needs and combination. One needs to analyse and see which works best for their needs.

Dushie: can clarify in videocon do they charge 250 flat irrespective of number of multiroom connection? If they do its really a huge cost saver for me, can u clarify?

Nope,it's not flat Ram. Multiroom starts from Rs 150 for South silver pack which is the lowest and goes up to Rs 250 for new south platinum HD. It's per connection and not a flat fee.

We are telling about the common people viewing demands ,if you like and feel tatasky is cheap per you it is upto you.But not the majority of indians feel that way that's why no of FMs shifting from tatasky and airtel to videocond2h.Videocond2h is the best available cheap and best option now, whether u accept or deny.

We are telling about the common people viewing demands ,if you like and feel tatasky is cheap per you it is upto you.But not the majority of indians feel that way that's why no of FMs shifting from tatasky and airtel to videocond2h.Videocond2h is the best available cheap and best option now, whether u accept or deny.

You either misread or misunderstood what i meant. The point I was saying is, lets not label something as cheapest. Label it as cheap with a clear advice compare for one need before finalizing.

Videocond2h is the best available cheap and best option now, whether u accept or deny.

Its not just for me, for my uncle who views only tamil channel, Tata worked cheaper.

Videocon could be cheaper most of the time but not necessarily always cheaper. That my friend is the only advice I would to anyone.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I have subscribed both Videocon D2h & ADTV..
Here is my comparison of both on personal experience only on latest Samsung 50 inch 3D LED & 5.1 Home Theatre basis. I am not in favour or against anyone but comparison.

1) Picture Quality
Videocon D2h
8/10 for HD & 7/10 for SD 23 HD channels for Rest of India
Airtel Digital TV
9.5/10 for HD & 8/10 for SD HD channels are much sharper, more contrast & looks like actual FULL HD than d2h if you observe thoroughly. Otherwise not noticeable for normal viewer.
19 HD channels for Rest of India

2) Audio Quality
D2H
5.1 Through HDMI true 5.1 on HT for few 10 HD channels, otherwise normal. 5.1 audio is loud while normal audio is very low compare to 5.1. Through optical SPDIF on HT.
ADTV
5.1 for few HD channels while normal audio but all channel audio is on same level no up & down like d2h.

3)User Interface
D2H
Slow & sluggish UI. Time to switch channel is more compare to ADTV.
ADTV
Very smooth, easy & fast UI. Time to switch channel is less compare to D2H.

4)Hardware
D2H
Cheap hardware feel, STB hangs & restarts automatically sometimes after replacing new also.
ADTV
Good hardware No issue.

5)Remote
D2H
RF remote no need to point like IR but feels sometime have to press hard to change the channels & sometimes channels skipped if press hard. Have to deal with 2 Remotes.
ADTV
Universal Remote for STB & TV so have the convenience of only 1 remote operation which is important if you are having multiple A/V devices.

6)Package Cost
D2H
Rs 481 for ALL HD SD channels. Premium package. Truly best value for money package in market
ADTV
Rs 525 Mega Pack little costlier than D2H.

7)Customer Care
D2h
Very good as per my experience quick field engineer support & understandable,
ADTV
Very good as per my experience quick field engineer support & understandable,

8)
D2H
3D content One 3D demo like NGC Channel but not impressive.
ADTV
No 3D content yet.

9)Conclusion
D2H
BEST VFM in market if you are not so concerned of best PQ.
ADTV
Overall Very good Package in terms of hardware, software & channels & definitely noticeable superior Picture quality than d2h.

I have similar setups and i totally agree with your points..only addition is if you want regional channels in HD then only d2h has it..any idea when will airtel add new HD channels like HBO DEFINED, PIX etc.???

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back