A Hi-Fi Stereo setup

KiranB

Dear Audiophile Gurus ,

I had just commenced my audiophile journey and in the first few hits of my search for answers, I came across this awesome forum. I have been going through most of your posts (Dinyar, Venkat, Ram, Moserw, Magma, list goes on) for a couple of weeks now (5-6 hours a day) in the quest of building a vfm hi-fi system.

However, I have ended up more confused then I was before going through the various post.

So, my humble request to you would be to help this irresolute mind find a decent stereo system.

My budget is 50-60k. I am willing to stretch by another 20k if there is more vfm.

I am interested in FS only.

I only listen to rock (Metallica, Dire Straits, Ramones, Beatles, its a broad category) & Western Classical. Rarely old skool rap.

I would prefer connecting this to my computer rather than a cdp for convenience sake. Have coaxial and optical-out on my mobo.

So far, I have been for an audition to The Shop (Andheri) and really did not like their service or their setup. Though they seem to have a lot of good brands.

Seeking your advice.

SInce you have been reading a few of the poster's notes, why dont you audiotn a few of the floorstanders and get a feel for whats out there and then we could help you finalize the decision. I am assuming you are not planning for a TV in your setup.

Dear Audiophile Gurus ,

I had just commenced my audiophile journey and in the first few hits of my search for answers, I came across this awesome forum. I have been going through most of your posts (Dinyar, Venkat, Ram, Moserw, Magma, list goes on) for a couple of weeks now (5-6 hours a day) in the quest of building a vfm hi-fi system.

However, I have ended up more confused then I was before going through the various post.

So, my humble request to you would be to help this irresolute mind find a decent stereo system.

My budget is 50-60k. I am willing to stretch by another 20k if there is more vfm.

I am interested in FS only.

I only listen to rock (Metallica, Dire Straits, Ramones, Beatles, its a broad category) & Western Classical. Rarely old skool rap.

I would prefer connecting this to my computer rather than a cdp for convenience sake. Have coaxial and optical-out on my mobo.

So far, I have been for an audition to The Shop (Andheri) and really did not like their service or their setup. Though they seem to have a lot of good brands.

Seeking your advice.

SInce you have been reading a few of the poster's notes, why dont you audiotn a few of the floorstanders and get a feel for whats out there and then we could help you finalize the decision. I am assuming you are not planning for a TV in your setup.

So you are planning to take digital out from the pc? Pc/Laptop? If Pc you could opt for a good soundcard and use the analog out. Or you could go for a DAC which does optical in like the ibasso d10 and connect that to your integrated amp.
As for speakers, assuming you can spend 35k on your speakers, out of the 60k, 25k min would go for amp, and then around 10k for a dac and cables.
So shortlist a few speakers in that budget, and see what s to your liking and forum members would give you more suggestions in the same vein. Thats when you will start extending your budget:D

I started with a budget similiar to yours and a music taste quite different.

One of the recos i received was to look at a BS rather than an FS. KEF IQ5 was one of the FS i liked in a similiar price range (will stretch your budget).

You may want to hop into Boom a Rang in Juhu to listen to a few options. They probably have more brands than The Shop, but infinitely more customer friendly.

Hi,

Guys have written on the forum that Viola Audio in DN Nagar Andheri is giving Marantz PM7001 for 22k.The amp enjoys excellent reputation here in the forum and elsewhere.Check with them.For speakers you can look at Wharfedale 9.5 or 9.6. Axiom speakers are shipped with free shipping thrown in.Check their website.But you can't audition them and you have to pay customs.

http://violahometheater.com/stereo.aspx

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Thanks for your prompt responses

Thats my problem. I m a total noob at this and dont know what to look for when auditioning. I mean I tried my hand at it but just could not make up my mind. I am not planning for a tv yet.

So you are planning to take digital out from the pc? Pc/Laptop? If Pc you could opt for a good soundcard and use the analog out. Or you could go for a DAC which does optical in like the ibasso d10 and connect that to your integrated amp.
As for speakers, assuming you can spend 35k on your speakers, out of the 60k, 25k min would go for amp, and then around 10k for a dac and cables.
So shortlist a few speakers in that budget, and see what s to your liking and forum members would give you more suggestions in the same vein. Thats when you will start extending your budget:D

I have placed an online order for asus essence stx but the dealer does not have it in stock. Do you know where I can buy this from in Mumbai.

I started with a budget similiar to yours and a music taste quite different.

One of the recos i received was to look at a BS rather than an FS. KEF IQ5 was one of the FS i liked in a similiar price range (will stretch your budget).

You may want to hop into Boom a Rang in Juhu to listen to a few options. They probably have more brands than The Shop, but infinitely more customer friendly.

I am most def paying them a visit. Heard a lot about them on this forum.

Hi,

Guys have written on the forum that Viola Audio in DN Nagar Andheri is giving Marantz PM7001 for 22k.The amp enjoys excellent reputation here in the forum and elsewhere.Check with them.For speakers you can look at Wharfedale 9.5 or 9.6. Axiom speakers are shipped with free shipping thrown in.Check their website.But you can't audition them and you have to pay customs.

marantz stereo amplifier

cheers,
sri

That sounds like an excellent price for a $600 amp but is it good for the kind of music that I listen to.

There was a gathering of lot of enthusiasts yesterday at Viren's place. Everyone present there would certainly recommend you to at least audition lyrita's amity. We gathered to listen to the new Amity speakers with 12" bass driver. Listened to these speakers with SS amps like old vintage bryston and a rotel integrated. However, even the 3 watt SET valve amp drove the bass drivers crazy. You will find more critical details in another review from Kamal, but I have only one thing to say - amazing! If I had money (and permission from my wife), I would buy them right away.

The best part is - someone who was very resolute that he wanted thumping, chest hitting, deep bass from his speakers and that was the biggest criteria for selecting speakers got mighty impressed with Harmony single drivers + SET watt tube amp.

regards

Is there a reason you are averse to BS? Even I started only with FS, but it depends on the room size. For a smaller room, BS will sound much much better than FS, as you can afford a better BS for the price you will spend on a FS.

Also, you can invest the cash in a sub (BS + Sub) combo if you like bass in Rap :)

Whats your room size?

Is there a reason you are averse to BS? Even I started only with FS, but it depends on the room size. For a smaller room, BS will sound much much better than FS, as you can afford a better BS for the price you will spend on a FS.

Also, you can invest the cash in a sub (BS + Sub) combo if you like bass in Rap :)

Whats your room size?

Hi Ram, I am not totally aversed to the idea but felt FS sound better.

My room is rectangular in shape 10 ft wide*20 ft Long. Is it big enough for a FS?

I dont like the thump sound much. prefer my bass rather tight, even when listening to rap.

also check out boomarang at juhu and nova audio at cater road

regards
Legin

Thanks Legin . I went to Boomarang today. Vijay's a great guy. They were officially closed today but that didnt stop him from spending the whole afternoon with me auditioning some good FS and as a bonus he even auditioned an avalon isis paired with an accuphase amp & CDP ( way beyond my budget). He shared a lot of insight and all in all was a great help.

I liked the dali ikon 6 over the MA RS6. It suited my taste for rock music and western classical but i feel they were a little on the 'bright' side.

Am gonna visit a few more stores like boomarang. Mumbai audiophiles, please let me know where else can I go.

Hi Kiran,
Boomerang is a nice place for HIFI. Long list of brands under one roof, informal, friendly people and quality advice when solicited.
In the last two decades i would have interacted with almost all vendors in Bbay and Boomerang is one place i would recommend.
Also look at Preowned/ex demo stock they are trying to dispose. Last i spoke they had amps from Bryston,MF,Nad,Arcam, Cyrus at fairly discounted prices and a few speakers too.
Yes go for an FS by all means but which FS is musical @ 30/35K new? Much easier to get a good BS/amp combo that does most things well. Its good u heard the Accuphase/Avalon combo regardless of price/budget. Accuphase is good and some of the Avalons are very musical.
Try sticking to your budget (roughly at least) and am sure if u are patient u will get good HIFI new or preowned.
Go and audition more gear and post ur impressions.
Rgds

I have been auditioning some speakers for the last week. Heard Polk Rti6/7, Jamo 405, MA RS6, Dali Ikon 6, MA RX6/8 and AAD Reference 5. ( I have increased my budget to 1.5L fot speakers and amp)

I had heard great reviews about most of the above speakers on this forum but I kinda liked AAD the best.

I have not been able to get any info about them. Neither on this forum nor on the net.

Would appreciate if the gurus please share their views and opinions on this speaker. :)

Hi Kiran,
Boomerang is a nice place for HIFI. Long list of brands under one roof, informal, friendly people and quality advice when solicited.
In the last two decades i would have interacted with almost all vendors in Bbay and Boomerang is one place i would recommend.
Also look at Preowned/ex demo stock they are trying to dispose. Last i spoke they had amps from Bryston,MF,Nad,Arcam, Cyrus at fairly discounted prices and a few speakers too.
Yes go for an FS by all means but which FS is musical @ 30/35K new? Much easier to get a good BS/amp combo that does most things well. Its good u heard the Accuphase/Avalon combo regardless of price/budget. Accuphase is good and some of the Avalons are very musical.
Try sticking to your budget (roughly at least) and am sure if u are patient u will get good HIFI new or preowned.
Go and audition more gear and post ur impressions.
Rgds

I have been auditioning some speakers for the last week. Heard Polk Rti6/7, Jamo 405, MA RS6, Dali Ikon 6, MA RX6/8 and AAD Reference 5. ( I have increased my budget to 1.5L fot speakers and amp)

I had heard great reviews about most of the above speakers on this forum but I kinda liked AAD the best.

I have not been able to get any info about them. Neither on this forum nor on the net.

Would appreciate if the gurus please share their views and opinions on this speaker. :)

Kiran,
Not heard about the AAD. Can you tell us what it sounded like relative to the other speakers you have listed in your audition list? How much does it cost?

I will start with the easier part by comparing their build. The AAD Silver Reference 5 is taller then all of the speakers auditioned and as high as ikon6. Relly heavy and solid-Heavier than all of them. Glossy cherry finish with piano black top. 2 drivers.

Here is a pic of the speaker which i found with great diffculty.
GS Scandinavia

I found the Jamo and Polk somewhat harsh. May b they r good for a HT system but they did not sound so great to me.

At first I was impressed with Dali ikon 6, I liked it more than the MA RS6, it sounded more richer but after some time I realised that i had to stop playing them. They were too bright for me (more than I had thought earlier).

The MA RX are a little over a lac and I liked it, they are good speakers, until I heard the AADs. After listening to the AAD I found the MA RX a little ... due to lack of a better word in my limited vocabulary I will have to say 'artificial'. THe AAD are more neutral. You get the music as it sounds.

The AADs are gonna cost me 1.25L approx. My ears are not very matured and I dont trust them so much thats why asking for more views/opinions form anyone whose heard them.

Thanks,
Kiran

I will start with the easier part by comparing their build. The AAD Silver Reference 5 is taller then all of the speakers auditioned and as high as ikon6. Relly heavy and solid-Heavier than all of them. Glossy cherry finish with piano black top. 2 drivers.

Here is a pic of the speaker which i found with great diffculty.
GS Scandinavia

I found the Jamo and Polk somewhat harsh. May b they r good for a HT system but they did not sound so great to me.

At first I was impressed with Dali ikon 6, I liked it more than the MA RS6, it sounded more richer but after some time I realised that i had to stop playing them. They were too bright for me (more than I had thought earlier).

The MA RX are a little over a lac and I liked it, they are good speakers, until I heard the AADs. After listening to the AAD I found the MA RX a little ... due to lack of a better word in my limited vocabulary I will have to say 'artificial'. THe AAD are more neutral. You get the music as it sounds.

The AADs are gonna cost me 1.25L approx. My ears are not very matured and I dont trust them so much thats why asking for more views/opinions form anyone whose heard them.

Thanks,
Kiran
Posting the specs for all:
AAD silver Reference 5
Drive Units: 1 x Helical Conductive Transducer 2 x 5.25" Honeycomb Cone Woofe r. Frequency Response: 35Hz-40KHz +/-2dB. Sensitivity: 88 dB (1 Watt @ 1M). Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohm. Recommended Amplifier Power: 50~300 Watt. Dimensions (HxWxD): 987x193x360 (mm).

Thank you for putting your thoughts on the speakers over here. Appreciate it!
As for inputs on the same, I think Dinyaar, Venkat, Cranky etc would know about it.
The impedance is 4 ohms and sensitivity 88db. Would actually a 50-100w amp be able to drive it like they say?

AAD stands for American Acoustic Development, a company started by Phil Jones who was the chief designer at Acoustic Energy, Boston Acoustics, and Platinum Audio. He also makes high end subs through another company called Phil Jones Bass. His web site is Welcome to Phil Jones Pure Sound.

The AAD Silver Series are their reference speakers and have been reviewed by Stereophile. The review results are mixed. Please visit Stereophile: AAD Reference Silver-1 loudspeaker for details.

I have heard an less expensive version of AAD (I don't remember the model) a long time. The product did not leave any lasting impression in my mind, so I kind of forgot about it. I remember perusing their website, where the complete 5.1 including FS fronts were selling for less than 1000 US. It was then a company based in NY, if I remember right.

It looks as if Phil has dumped that line of speakers, closed the web site, and reinvented the speaker line completely.

AAD is distributed in Indian by Designer Audio India Pvt.Ltd.

Cheers.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back