A journey in the world of power cords...

cables will have to have American plugs as indian plugs are useless.

This is completely out of context, but I am afraid I must disagree with this statement.

Not all Indian plugs and sockets are useless. Over 15 years ago, when I rewired my house I used Finolex's 720 (4.0 sq.mm) cables through the house for electrical circuits, and Finolex's 1100 (6.0 sq.mm) for A/c circuits. At the same time, I looked around in the market and installed MK sockets and switches. MK also makes plugs that fit extremely well inside the sockets, and the plug poles are made of pure brass. I have opened the sockets and seen that the plugs and sockets fit very tight completely removing the chance for any mis-connection or sparks.

Similarly, to ensure good earthing, I dug a hole 30 feet deep, filled it with salt, coal, sand and other ingredients, and drew two pure thick brass bands that I terminated inside the main circuit board housing. This has given me nearly perfect earthing.

Over the last 30 days, we have had extremely heavy rains in Chennai. The rains were so heavy and continuous that the walls in my house were all wet, and they allowed the water to drip into my the main circuit board enclosure. In spite of this, we never had any power problems. This is 15 years after installation !!

Other than having a few fuses blown, I have not lost a single product to short circuit in all those 15 years.

Whenever I buy a product, I take the power cord, cut the plug end, and replace it with a MK plug. I have done this for all products I have bought from the US including audio/video products.

If you choose the right products carefully, you can get very good power products and systems in India also.

Many times when in the US, I have had sparks flying at me when I insert a US plug into the US sockets. Because of this, I am instinctively more uncomfortable with the US system than the one in my house.

Cheers

Last edited:
Guys,

you are going off a bit re: Bryston. To clarify, in my quote re: Bryston,

I didn't call them as high end? I have alluded to quality and realiability. Which other manufacturer provides a 20 yr warranty?

They are very widely used amongst serious listeners. Are there other brands that compete, yes but the numbers are not that many.

Richard E Green, the ex editor of TAS uses a Bryston amplification with his harbeth 40 and classe front end. he fels they are one of the most neutral amps around ;)

now he is not someone who is to be taken lightly..a musician and a mathematiciamn to boot. as long as we agree that tastes are different, makes sense not to put down another product. definition of 'Neutral" does in the endvary from person to person...and many people find neutral as very boring ! as we are used to pumped up music from childhood as well as in most of the amplified live shows we attend.

Not all Indian plugs and sockets are useless. Over 15 years ago, when I rewired my house I used Finolex's 720 (4.0 sq.mm) cables through the house for electrical circuits, and Finolex's 1100 (6.0 sq.mm) for A/c circuits. At the same time, I looked around in the market and installed MK sockets and switches. MK also makes plugs that fit extremely well inside the sockets, and the plug poles are made of pure brass. I have opened the sockets and seen that the plugs and sockets fit very tight completely removing the chance for any mis-connection or sparks.

Similarly, to ensure good earthing, I dug a hole 30 feet deep, filled it with salt, coal, sand and other ingredients, and drew two pure thick brass bands that I terminated inside the main circuit board housing. This has given me nearly perfect earthing.

Sir..that is really amazing :cool:

What i have learnt from many folks is that if you can
1. Ensure dedidicated eartheing and dedicated power line to your audio system
2. Choose somponents with well designed power supplies

the impact of powerchords/conditioners can be substatially reduced the biggest cause of "Dirty "power is other equipment sharing the power .

Richard E Green, the ex editor of TAS uses a Bryston amplification with his harbeth 40 and classe front end. he fels they are one of the most neutral amps around ;)

now he is not someone who is to be taken lightly..a musician and a mathematiciamn to boot. as long as we agree that tastes are different, makes sense not to put down another product. definition of 'Neutral" does in the endvary from person to person...and many people find neutral as very boring ! as we are used to pumped up music from childhood as well as in most of the amplified live shows we attend.

I know we are going off topic here but I know that they are awesome products with excellent customer service. I have read elsewhere that Sony, Dreamworks and Grammy nomimated studios are amongst proud owners of all-bryston products (they dont mix/match much in components). A good friend of mine writes music for Wu Tang Clan and he is a jazz addict though he listens to all music. He is also a big fan of Bryston.

The statement about neutral is the best compliment a component can get. Isn't that the purpose of all music systems to be able to produce the original sound as close as possible to the time it was rendered first! Personally I felt they were a tiny bit forward (fast) in the upper ranges.

The reason for my selling was that my speakers were not a good match to the time since they were very inefficient and would go down to 2 ohm impedence on some organ based music.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back