A lack of common sense/civic basics

- nilekani and mohandas pai are at the top of the list of people who are to die a most exquisite death.
I once broke the queue as I was in a hurry, hope I am not in 'the' list, or will have to bribe my way out of the list. :lol:

No comments on the above suggestions please.

These are purely from a personal point of view. Yes, I too have gone through history in quite a bit of depth. In fact, always try understand a nation's history before starting seed-marketing a new product in an alien territory.

How many of us have actually tried going through 'Mein Kampf'? Suggest, read it once. Most people, who looked down upon Hitler would change tracks. It takes around 7 hours of one sitting to complete that epic, yes epic. A no nonsense, practical and relevant analysis of what goes on with the thought process of the working class and the frustrations that come with it. It also gives the prime reason as to why a non-German (Hitler was an Austrian) accumulated so much of hatred against one sect and pursued it to the last. I am definitely not siding with Hitler here.

Leadership has to have "Passion". Probably, that is what Hitler had. Can say the same for Netaji Subhas Bose.

Poor Incompetent Judiciary is responsible for rampant corruption in our country.

^^ Was only saving my ---. Suri is on killing spree. Who wants to die for jumping a queue ? Not me.
Suri, If I am on the list kindly forgive me. I swear in future I will not jump the queue.

"Actually there is a parallel economy running in this country."

Can we have name of one nation where this does not exists. Even if we have a parallel economy running, we managed to pass of Economic depression with minimum effects. Yes, indeed this depression has caused some vibrations in every budget. But, tell me one thing were these vibrations were more or less compared to Europe and N. America?

Add to this the fact that Indian economy is heavily dependent on US economy. Then how come economic depression was comparatively less? Did we ever thought this way?

There is no need to study the western world or a phoren country to understand what is broken and why.
100% agreed. There are lots of good small things which happen to us daily. Instead of celebrating about those good things we celebrate about the bad things which happen to us.

And the same Indian, when abroad is a totally different being all-together. Following all the rules, getting the civic basics right first time. Why is it so??? Has anybody tried to analyse this?
Civil sense and things which make you a good human being can't be taught to you in a day. Not atleast while you are travelling through an air plane from India. These things are taught in your child hood by our parents, grand parents. These are moral science which are passed through generations. And India's legacy is very huge.
The thing is we know what is correct way to behave but still we behave in a wrong manner. So who to blame? It should definitely not be India, India's legacy or India's civil sense. Problem lies in the person who behaves differently.

Poor Incompetent Judiciary is responsible for rampant corruption in our country.

Hi,

I respectfully disagree this! The judiciary system is well competent to handle things, but there are lot of external factors affecting the functioning of the system. Judiciary can only review issues and render its orders, but the executionary powers are vested in the executive and administrative wings. So, as long as the other systems are corrupt and ineffective, then judiciary is handicapped.

Cheers!

corruption in our country.
I whole heartedly disagree to this. I am attaching this document which will help in understanding why I am supporting corruption.

Attachments

• Black+Market-+Very+good+perspective.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 12
Leadership has to have "Passion". Probably, that is what Hitler had. Can say the same for Netaji Subhas Bose.

Everything should have passion that is what I believe. Passion is no ones slave. A person without passion for doing something will never be able to do it.
Examples:
1. Mahatma Gandhi's passion for India's Independence.
2. Nehru's passion for creating a successful nation.
3. Vikram Sarabhai's passion for creating launchers, research institute and IIMs.
4. Bhabha's passion for creating nuclear plant.
5. Manmohan Singh's passion for creating a liberal India.
6. Nitish Kumar's passion for creating a developing and vibrating Bihar.
7. Leander Paes's passion for playing tennis.
8. We HFV members passion for listening good music.

List does not ends hear.

Passion is the sole driver. Without passion one's heart is without soul. Whatever we do has to be done with passion.

Wow - Gobble you might end up bursting a blood vessel or two, man!

By the way, I am entirely with you.

can we have name of one nation where this does not exists. Even if we have a parallel economy running, we managed to pass of economic depression with minimum effects. Yes, indeed this depression has caused some vibrations in every budget. But, tell me one thing were these vibrations were more or less compared to europe and n. America?

Add to this the fact that indian economy is heavily dependent on us economy. Then how come economic depression was comparatively less? Did we ever thought this way?

long live democracy

Everything should have passion that is what I believe. Passion is no ones slave. A person without passion for doing something will never be able to do it.

Examples:
1. Mahatma Gandhi's passion for India's Independence....AN UTTER WASTE, OUR INDEPENDENCE HAS BEEN DELAYED BY OVER 20 YEARS BY HIS INTERFERENCE.

2. Nehru's passion for creating a successful nation... ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT, HE WAS A FRIVOLOUS ENTITY, A COMPULSIVE WOMANISER ... SO TO SAY SONIA GANDHI LEFT NO STONES UNTURNED TO DUMP THE MOVIE THAT WAS TO BE MADE ON HIM TO HIDE THE ACTUAL FACTS FROM 'INDIANS'.

3. Vikram Sarabhai's passion for creating launchers, research institute and IIMs. AGREE 100%

4. Bhabha's passion for creating nuclear plant. AGREE 100%

5. Manmohan Singh's passion for creating a liberal India. PARTLY TRUE.

6. Nitish Kumar's passion for creating a developing and vibrating Bihar. AGREE 100%

7. Leander Paes's passion for playing tennis. AGREED.

8. We HFV members passion for listening good music. AGREE 200%

Perhaps the solution to india's problems is to make up fictional heroes running around in chaddi banyans rescueing people from harm, following in suri's infallable spirit!

Please do not underestimate the common Indian.

He sits in Malegaon:
Malegaon,
and he is watching YOU!

If you want to see the true heart of India, or at least one dimension of it, please please see the documentary on how the movie was made. It will be an eye-opener or at least a reminder that optimism exists even in the face of debilitating poverty and corruption.

I will also take this opportunity to add my two ignorant cents: We can talk about India's corruption and inefficiencies till the cows literally and figuratively come home. While we are in this, for good or for bad, the way I see it is that India is like a force of nature. While a thunderstorm may ruin someone's party or even ruin someone's crop, it may also bring immense joy to someone else. Should I blame the storm for my joys and sorrows? Should I analyze this force of nature in its minutae, and deconstruct it and debate its cause and physiological and psyschological effects over and over again?

Or can I focus my efforts on how to co-exist with the storm with some semblance of peace and perhaps, happiness?

It's summertime anyway. Let us make some lemonade with the lemons we have got. Speaking of which, on a complete aside, I cajoled my better half to make aam panna yesterday. I highly recommend this sweet and sour drink, especially as raw mangoes are in season. It is also extremely simple to make.

[*start another rambling rant

Systemic corruption and megalomania among the powers-that-be (elected, appointed or self-declared) is a beast that could probably never be slain, just temporarily debilitated. Suri's Final Solution, alluring as it is, is not proof against its very executors being corrupted by their own power... unless Suri implants his ninja army with a "ethics monitor" chip that lets him remotely "terminate" individuals that go rogue :) And what if the generalissimo himself succumbs? :lol:

But on a personal level, I think most of us are, to differing degrees:
+ hospitable (motivated by religious belief, social conscience, desire to be liked or all of the above)
+ basically helpful (one on one, even to strangers. mobs not included)
- disinterested in anything that doesn't directly and immediately inconvenience us (someone else will do it)
- apathetic if the inconvenience is not easily remediable (the "kindly adjust" credo)
- uncaring of "personal space" (kinda understandable since precious few of us have ever had any)
- extremely competitive in everything (personal image, achievements, possessions, queues)
- insanely egotistical and class-obsessed (do you know who i am?)

But then, these attributes are shared - in various formulations - by humans everywhere, because geography doesn't breed ***holes, people do.

Perhaps we tend more towards the "**** you, me first" attitude because, not living in a welfare society, if we don't take care of ourselves first, no one else will.

That being said, many of us are woefully lacking in even basic manners, courtesy and consideration of others. I've seen people grovel shamelessly before their "betters", while treating people they consider "lower" worse than insects. I think that, along with the math and science in which we so proudly excel, primary education should include a mandatory course in personal comportment and etiquette. Not which fork to use for shrimp, but simple social interaction, how to treat other people graciously and respectfully.

Call me credulous and/or simplistic, but I think that a social conscience inculcated early in a child may help build a better, more principled adult.

end rant*]

Talking of etiquette education, I once had a male teacher who would be the very epitome of old-world graciousness in the presence of ladies, but would exhibit a disturbing misogyny in their absence. I remember him saying to a class of 14-year-old boys after a female teacher had left the room, "kya bada bada papaya, yaar" while grabbing his scrawny chest and licking his chops like Wile E. Coyote. He wasn't aware that the ensuing embarrassed laughter was largely at him, not with him. Creepy old coot, but a good Hindi teacher.

See whatever great or not so great people did. They did it. We are at our best capable of bringing some changes if we do it with passion. It is not worthy to be a hero if we do not bring a small change. An unsung hero is more credible and better as they bring changes. And India does have a lot of unsung heroes who are doing their bit to bring about change. Changes which are miniscule now but with time it might turn out to be gigantic.

There are many changes done buy the middle class, small workers, poor peoples of India and by riches of India. These changes were done with pride. No where they looked outside India. There thirst was simple to live in society which they dream of. A society is as powerful as their people are.
Everyone in this society has a role to play. If anyone feels something (even 1 percent) happening wrong in this society, (s)he should bring the change. At minimum (s)he should try to co-exist with the society. Even if one tries to co-exist with society (s)he will be happy and as it is said, "You have got to find what you love."

And following lines for those who even have slightest doubt on existence of India.
There is famous dialogue of Salman Rushdie on India. Once Salman Rushdie was asked an question by a journalist.
Journalist: Does India exists?
Rushdie's answer: If it does not then, "What is separating Pakistan and Bangladesh?"

Last edited:
Please do not underestimate the common Indian.

If you want to see the true heart of India, or at least one dimension of it, please please see the documentary on how the movie was made. It will be an eye-opener or at least a reminder that optimism exists even in the face of debilitating poverty and corruption.

I will also take this opportunity to add my two ignorant cents: We can talk about India's corruption and inefficiencies till the cows literally and figuratively come home. While we are in this, for good or for bad, the way I see it is that India is like a force of nature. While a thunderstorm may ruin someone's party or even ruin someone's crop, it may also bring immense joy to someone else. Should I blame the storm for my joys and sorrows? Should I analyze this force of nature in its minutae, and deconstruct it and debate its cause and physiological and psyschological effects over and over again?

Or can I focus my efforts on how to co-exist with the storm with some semblance of peace and perhaps, happiness?

It's summertime anyway. Let us make some lemonade with the lemons we have got. Speaking of which, on a complete aside, I cajoled my better half to make aam panna yesterday. I highly recommend this sweet and sour drink, especially as raw mangoes are in season. It is also extremely simple to make.

so correct asliarun - that is the way to live - see the positive side of everything - and go with the flow - instead of thrashing about wildly and going against the current and making everyone unhappy and tense!

after all, life is not about being happy - it is about NOT being unhappy-

and finally - "smile - and the world smiles with you - cry and be angry, and you"ll do that alone"

way to go asliarun!!!:yahoo:

asked my wife to make aam panna - she asked me to >>>> off!!:sad:

Wow - Gobble you might end up bursting a blood vessel or two, man!

By the way, I am entirely with you.

That wasn't a tirade against the OP. I like to evangelize distrust and suspicion ... :D ... against the rampant thought control and the brainwashing practiced in society of course. :eek:hyeah:

Cheers

Someone with the charisma of Adolf Hitler is needed now to bring about ....
Here's the foreigner poking his nose in again to say...

I'd go for someone with the chasma of ... Adbul Kalam.

I believe that he was one of the world's great statesmen. Even the other day, I noticed in one newspaper the good things he was doing, whilst the current president got just one mention.

Regrettably, the world barely noticed his great statesmanship. Even more regrettably, it was too good for the politicians and was brought to an end.

(now I should go back and read the many subsequent posts... :eek:)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back