A miracle called Akai TT

madbullram

Rewind: 20+ years back
I was a kid then and all we had was a turntable (upgrade from a gramo). Dad was so addicted to a song named "Jambulingam" from the classic evergreen comedy "Kase than Kadavulada (money is god!"). Everyday he used to play it in the morning and I was sick and tired of it. Offcourse I grew up listening to the vinyl. I remember once dad giving me a royal dress down for using the TT arm as a playing toy. One day the TT stopped playing and it was sent to a service center. One week of no music and I started to miss the Jambu song. The week was so silent with no MS or SPB to accompany me when studying...

Next week he came back home with a Radio (Philips) and we were WOWed. It had non stop music and you dont have to change record etc. Dad told us he had sold the TT as the pin went kaput and he didnt have money to buy it, so he exchanged it for this radio at the service center. Though I loved the radio, I always missed the TT, I used to be amazed hearing the mild music that used to come when I put my ear next to the player and the way the strobe light used to light up. I always missed the TT and Vinyls...

Cut back to Dec 30th 2010 - Chatting with a friend:
He is talking about how his dad cares for his Philips TT and loves hearing it. I tell him how my dad sold his TT without thinking of me and how I miss that TT. I tell him, "I hate my dad for selling it!!!!! I really hate him".

Dec 31st - Mohan Musicals
Sasi of Mohan musicals gives me a call asking me to come and check some HT package which he recently got as I was checking out used HT package for a close friend. I drop into his place and check out the package, and it aint worth the money. I tell him to get something better and I move. While getting out of his small shop, something scratches my hand. Obviously irritated, I turn back and see an Akai TT in okay condition.

Instinctively, I ask him how much and he gives me a good price. Infact, he had told me about this TT sometime back and I had asked Rajiv about this model and he didnt have much info nor an excellent opinion. So I thought ditch it and let me get a better TT. Sasi asks me to hear and I dont know what happened to me, I hear it and instantly I reach out to my wallet and pay him 2k that I had as advance and I pick it.

I keep it in my car and drive towards home. I keep thinking what the hell did I just do, buying an old TT that too of Akai not known brand or anything and that too paying and buying without doing any proper research (usually it takes me a min 1 to 2 weeks to finalize a purchase). I tell myself, its Sasi so will return it to him after 2-3 days. I console myself and reach home.

I open the door and I lift the TT and I dont know what happened as if someone knocked my hands slips and the TT falls upside down and I am in a state of shock, suddenly the world became silent, the horror dawns on me and now I know there is no return and I have to keep the TT. Suddenly I see at the bottom of the TT something written...forgetting my shock, I try to see whats written, I realize its a signature...

I am in further shock and I start to believe that this is a dream or I am hallucinating. The sign looks like my dad's sign. But I am not dreaming, so I tell myself to calm down and I tell myself I am missing my dad so its all in my head. I slowly take the TT home and without talking to anyone I go to my room and examine it very closely. It looks really like my dad's signature and I am even more stunned. Emotionally shocked now, I goto my mom carrying the TT and she instantly says "Hey, your dad had a similar one!!!", I calmy put the TT upside down and I show her what I saw, she sees it closely with her breathing becoming heavy, and I see drops of tears rolling down her cheek and she turns back to me and says, dont tell me you are playing a joke on me, dont tell me this belongs to your dad now!!!

I am at loss for words, I tell her that it aint a joke and its real and I wasn't sure so wanted her to check it. She instantly calls my uncle and asks about the TT. My uncle whom we call mr.memory says " Ya your dad when he gave to service center, signed at the bottom to ensure that he gets his TT back and the service guys dont give him a different one. He always has this habit of signing his stuff. Thats why you have the habit of signing your books with date of purchase, you picked it from your dad". He comes home quickly and confirms that it is indeed DAD's signature.

We hook the TT and play Kenny Rogers love is around. Emotionally overcome, none of us have any words, we all connected emotionally. They say a Vinyl connects to a music lover emotionally, this Akai TT has connected us truly in a emotional spectrum. A true new year's gift from my dad (may he rest always in peace). I simply cant tell you all how much my entire family is sweetly shocked by this. I have relatives coming back home just to see the TT. It made me think:

1. What made me buy the TT instinctively when I have never bought anything instinctively ever
2. Why buy this TT a day after cursing my dad for selling his TT
3. Why drop the TT in such a way that I could see the sign? If I had not dropped for all that I know I might have returned it back 2 days later

There are many answers to them but I will never know the real answer. Thanks to my dad I am back into the vinyl world with his own TT :)

Sorry for the long post :) just wanted to share this miracle with you all.

Pics:

Full view:

Close-ups:

My dad's signature :)

Last edited:
Madbullram,

Very surreal experience. I have many similar experiences with my dad and his Philips turntable. I used to be his caretaker of the TT and his records. It just got into my DNA. When I had a chance to earn and spend money, many years later, the first thing I did was buy a turnable. Ofcourse now the collection grew into a museum.

Very happy for you. It is just one in a million probability I guess. Enjoy yourself for many years.

Cheers.

"There are many answers to them but I will never know the real answer."

Madbullram,

The real answer is the one your heart is telling you. This was a wonderful post, and a magical experience to read.

I am really happy for your gain. Hope you get many wonderful listening moments, and memories, that you can one day pass on to your own children, with this turntable.

Nice to hear how a piece of audiophile gear helped you make a real connection to your past. Its not just the music that sounds "real" in this case ...:)

Alas for me, the gear I spent so much money in the last few years is very impersonal and I have no fondness or affection for it. I still yearn for the TT we had in childhood. There is something about electronics gear from the 70s that had magic.

Happy listening. :)

Cheers

Fantastic read MBR. I am very happy for you on your surreal experience!!

Enjoy your special family TT and ensure you pass it on to future generations:).

Hi Ram

Your incident proves mircales happen in our world as well :)

Hi Ram,

When you cursed your dad for selling the TT he should have smiled from up there somewhere and decided to guide you back to the same equipment.:)
For a moment i went thro how all of you should have felt when you played it in your home.Awesome!

Very happy for you and your mom, mate.God bless you.

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
There arent many answers ram, only one-
"maqatoob":jo hone wala hai wo likha ja chuka hai.
Do u know, we in india believe in "jeev padna"? The phenomena that if you own and cherish something,anything... Object, machine, toy, ornament whatever, "to us cheez me jeev pad jata hai. "Like it gets a soul, comes alive.
Now you know, where j k rowling got the idea of horcrux from?
Everyone has often experienced that the next number on radio was the one you were just playing in your mind. Or that the unexpected call was from some close pal whose thought just crossed your mind. Coincidence?? No man, west has to delve deeper before they reach the core.
I am not surprised that your akai recognised you and came with you willingly.
Whats more , recognizing you after all those years is one hell of feat too. you must ve changed from a boy to a dad.:)
Great write up.!!

MBR ..... read it just now. Brought tears to my eyes after a long time .. thanks.

I have the same sentiments for the HMV TT which was refurbished after I joined this forum. I have'nt added any more LPs to my Dad's collection ... which dates back to the early 60s and 70s, and I too had grown up hearing those.

Just keeping them ... as it is ... and giving them a 'hear' once a while. Luckily, they play the same way as I had heard them during childhood when they were new.

Also, have a Jap spool tape deck of the early 70s ... with possibly my Dad's voice in there. That too would require servicing. Am currently searching for a guy who can look into it ... 'want' to hear him after 15 long years.

A dad's love prevails over the concept of time. Cherish that Turntable, you are one lucky guy. :)

MB,

I came here after a long time and what a warm story I get to read.

I felt so happy for you. Its no miracle that the TT survived the fall..

Vj

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back