A newbie discovers the audiophile left (tubes, single drivers etc.,)

psychotropic

These are just some random thoughts on the meet-up we had this morning at Bala's (thevortex) place, with Rajiv, iaudio and captrajesh.

For the very first time in my life I listened to a system well and truly in the audiophile 'left' (where analog, tubes and single drivers are 'left' and digital, solid state and multiple drivers are 'right'), and fully understood what people say when they talk about the 'tube sound' and so on. I mean I've heard tubes before in different setups, but never had a chance to do a comparison to a solid-state amplifier as well to clearly and precisely understand the essence of the two types of sound.

The Setup

Bala has a setup with a computer based transport feeding a gorgeous looking DAC built by Viren of Lyrita (more details of which I'll let Bala post) and a Lyrita SET amp powering Lyrita Harmony One (?) speakers with Fostex 167e drivers.

My Introduction to the Tube Sound

We listened to a lot of material from rock to jazz to tamil film music (and the sheffield drum test disc) and so on and it was a very interesting and new sound for me, the mid-rang was thicker and had more body and bloom, while the treble detail was slightly rolled off and the bass had less slam. Voices sounded more live and present, but kick drums and snares didn't 'bite' the way I like them to.

For a 'rightist' audiophile like me, this was an eye-opening experience and an educational one.

Comparisoin with the Tripath

Then for comparison we swapped out the SET amp with my Topping TP20 tripath amplifier, with everything else in the chain remaining the same. The difference was stark. The bass had much more slam. The treble detail was clearer, but the midrange was much leaner and didn't have the body of the tubes. I also felt that the SET did better on dynamic passages than the Topping. From my experience today I am quite convinced that tubes (at least SETs of the variety that Viren makes) are entirely a matter of taste. Both the amps had their strengths and weaknesses, and I think a dream sound for me would be something that had the slam and detail of the Topping, with a bit (but not all) of the mid-range body of the SET, and the dynamics of the SET.

In their pristine forms I guess for primarily a rock music listener like me solid-state still wins out, but for someone who listens to a lot of jazz and music with a lot of vocals, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least try out some tubes.

The Toppings

But I have to say (proud owner bias apart), the Topping really shone in the setup. It didn't do what the tube amp could do, but I think it did every bit as well as a really good solid-state amp costing 10 times its 4000 rupee sticker price, would have done, in a similar setup. Clean, detailed power. No lack of slam or muscle or any of those things that people accuse digital amplifiers of. And for all those with apprehensions about the switching supply...None of the people listening today could make out any noise or distortion from the PSU that comes with the Topping. It's a real giant killer for 4000 bucks. Guys, bear me out on this :D

The Speakers

The speakers need special mention. The sound was full and cohesive. It handled transients superbly and imaged and soundstaged really well, but within its very narrow sweet spot. While I may every so slightly prefer a multi-driver speaker all said and done, my dream scenario would be one where I had the choice of swapping between these two types depending on the music that I wanted to listen to.

Thanks for review,

Why did D2X not tested with analoge out?
secondly which set up can be ideal for even Bollywood music?
Other than midrange,was tube sounding really better than solidstate?

Pls.answer.

Last edited:
Hi Vinay,

Nice write up and accurately stated. BTW you missed the musical treat at Rajiv's place whose gear in your terminology could be called ultra-leftist.:D

Hi Vinay,

Nice write up and accurately stated. BTW you missed the musical treat at Rajiv's place whose gear in your terminology could be called ultra-leftist.:D

Vinay, :lol: Is that terminology left and right an audiophile term or are we drawing parallels from politics?

Nice roundup psychotropc...one thing I would like to mention about Lyrita Harmony Ones - they have an incredible soundstage...deep and wide...it's amazing...

I haven't heard a lot of single drivers, but the ones I have heard, stood out in this one aspect...

Somewhere I forgot to give a conclusion on thevortex's setup I think. It was just lovely. It's the kind of setup that you can sit and listen to for hours and hours and just immerse yourself in the music. It's musical, it's involving, it's completely non-fatiguing and draws you into the music. Whether you're a tubes guy or an SS guy, it's a setup I would recommend happily.

I really regret missing out on Rajiv's setup. I don't know why but I developed a lower back pain (which is still persisting), perhaps from sitting hunched over for a couple of hours! But he's in Chennai and I know where he lives now, so I will make it apoint to go over and listen to it. My mouth waters at the prospect.

like i said spiro, it's absolutely impossible to say that tubes sounded better than SS, or vice versa. It's like saying is the apple a better fruit than a banana? They're just different! they are different flavours of sound and what flavour works for you is an entirely personal thing.

We didn't get around to checking out the analog out of the D2X, but Rajiv and bala had compared it before and they are of the view that the Lyrita DAC completely outclasses the D2X's analog out.

Thanks for review,

Why did D2X not tested with analoge out?
secondly which set up can be ideal for even Bollywood music?
Other than midrange,was tube sounding really better than solidstate?

Pls.answer.

Hi Vinay,

They're just different! they are different flavours of sound and what flavour works for you is an entirely personal thing.
:clapping:

Well said.Agree 100%

Hope you get better soon.

Regards
Rajiv

What does this mean? :confused: I did not understand this aspect.

Well Thevortex has Xonar D2X card in PC if I m not wrong.
I wld have pleased to get a review of D2X analoge out directly fed to amps.
As I read that PC was connected to DAC,i.e. with digital out to ext DAC.
D2X capabilities too wld have been appreciated.

Last edited:
Spiro, thevortex has been using his setup with the D2X analog out till now. Since he and also Rajiv found a phenomenal difference once the Lyrita DAC was connected, we never went back to the D2X analog outs.

no spiro we didn't play with the D2X. But Rajiv and Bala have heard both and clearly prefer the Lyrita DAC. If I recall Bala's comments on the comparison, he said that the D2X sounded thinner and less lively compared to the Lyrita DAC. Perhaps they can post more details on the comparison.

very interesting, especially Arjen's because he talks about using it with the Tripath chips. But without a case I don't know what I'll do with it. I don't have the resources or the ability to procure a case. I don't know why he wouldn't put it in a case and sell it for a bit more.

Towards this, maybe you can try a tube buffer for your Topping. Something like this or this.

I don't know why he wouldn't put it in a case and sell it for a bit more.
I asked him exactly this question. He said that in order to make cases of the quality he would be happy with, and to keep costs low at the same time, he would have to buy a huge initial inventory of high quality extruded aluminium. Arjen does not have the means nor a feel of the demand to make such an investment at this time. This is what I gleaned from his reply.

hmmm, so i am thinking, could i put it in a cardboard box instead of a case? cut neat holes so that the cables can connect to the PCB inside the box. Does it come with RCA connectors do you know? (If it doesn't then of course that means I would need to do soldering and shit, which makes it impossible)

Perhaps even a hole for the volume knob. Cut some ventilation holes also, and keep the box open while in use. Feasible? or am i missing out some really obvious problem with this approach?

Back