A nice video to hold onto your speakers

Hi Newlash09,

This is a good video and I partly agree to what Steve says. I did notice a considerable difference in the way my Elac’s sounded when paired with the Denon 2600 than how it did with an entry level Denon 540 which ran these for a couple of years.

Better amps are equipped with better components and with advanced technology that’s built in to it & more current will definitely bring in life to most speakers but I feel some of these speakers have its own characteristics/Strength which does not change is what I felt.

So I think adding better electronics to our existing gear will further enhance their strength and make is sound more livelier than it used to, but may not change its tonal features.

That was my observation with the Elac’s I own. So let’s see what others gotta say.

Regards,
Som

Hi all...just wanted to share this video from steve Guttenberg, which I've found makes a lot of sense. And I was talking to @raghupb the other day, and even he seemed to agree.

This is one of the best audiophile tips (Some Call it a Best kept Secret) which I understood few years ago ; the best of the matched electronics (Amp, DAC and Cables) bring the best out of any Speakers for that matter. Since Speaker upgrade is very easily discernible to even non audiophile listeners, people usually prefer to go via the speaker upgrade route. With lots of Reviews on chifi class D, sounding as good as 90% of their expensive class AB cousins at fraction of cost, the emphasis on good quality amplification gets little praise. The balance of premium speakers and good quality amplification is a must, to get best SQ out of any system.

Bottom line : Best Matched Amplification brings best out of any speakers, period.

I am not sure if generalising this is so easy since if we look at the system approach, the weakest link is what you would upgrade. My order of priority would always be Source > Room+ Speaker > Speaker + Amplification in sound

IF the source itself is of lower sound quality then one would not even know where the problem is ! And very often its the speaker and amplification which gets the blame.The source will literally govern the sound quality since the smallest of deviations is amplified several times down the chain till the speaker, hence it has to be the best you can afford to own.

Speaker + Room ie the right speaker for the room and optimally placed in accordance to seating position is the next in priority most setups are not optimised for the room , and this could be due to various reasons , right from the constraints of aesthetics and space to lack of the knowledge.

This is followed by the right Amp for the speaker ie which has the right power and resolution for the speaker and matches with it both sonically as well as electronically.

Hence the key before one even thinks of an upgrade is figuring out the "weakest link" in the system and sometimes it very well could be the speaker. Although in most cases, even in this forum, its the speaker which is the most well researched hence may be the last in order of priority

I am not mentioning cables/power/vibration etc since those are for the last 5% after all of the above has been done.

So how does one know they have the best 'matched' amplification

If you have a source you can trust then you can do an A/B evaluation. but for most of us who cannot do the A/B it has to do with experiences of others whom we trust and also in case there is a recommended combination eg could be how they are exhibited during Hifi Shows ( not showrooms :) )

Yep. I agree with Steve Guttenberg and @newlash09
If you've got speakers that sound right ear-wise and room-wise, keep 'em and milk 'em.
Cheers,
Raghu

That’s one reason why I don’t move on with upgrading my speakers. Probably it’s about getting used to the sound signature, but one fears one might lose it after upgrading. There’s no point getting clearer/more refined sound if the basic signature is not to one’s liking. After all, there’s no end to refinement, is there? If one is reasonably happy with current sound, why upgrade?

IF the source itself is of lower sound quality then one would not even know where the problem is ! And very often its the speaker and amplification which gets the blame.The source will literally govern the sound quality since the smallest of deviations is amplified several times down the chain till the speaker, hence it has to be the best you can afford to own.

When you say ‘source’ do you also include the source material? Because that I think can have a bigger impact than even the source electronics. For example the vinyl rip from a first/second edition can sound far better than a CD reprint/Tidal etc using the same source electronics.

I also think the focus is on amplifier than the speaker because the speakers are in general lot more capable than what we extract from them. Most speakers (including old ones) will respond to better amplification. And most buyers pay better attention to speakers than amplifiers while buying. It could also be related to how dealers/showrooms focus more on the speaker and usually suggest an amp that has just about the minimum power needed to drive them satisfactorily instead of advising on the right amp (power as well as sound wise) to pair with the speakers that are being bought. This happens too often with first time/ less knowledgeable buyers. So usually their speakers have more in them if paired with better amplifier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back