a noob to speaker game, please be gentle, thanks!

notsiddharth

hello i may come off as very ignorant but i don’t know where or to whom to ask this question. For the past month i have been searching for a speaker to listen to when i am in my bed but i have been thoroughly confused with all the terminology and types of speakers - 2.0, 2.1, 5.0, 5.1, near filed, studio monitor, tower speaker, home theater system, multimedia speakers etc etc. finally i brought an Edifier r1700db bookshelf speakers but they were near-flied and in using them i understood that they can’t be used tin the way i wanted to, so i finally returned them. this has brought me here. hope some you can find the time to help me out.

though i have been and audio enthusiast for many years, but it has been mainly in in-ear, on-ear IEMs and headphones. Here is what i want from my speakers. please let me know if its possible in my budget range.

1. room filling sound/ unboxy sound - as i want to listen o them when i am in bed mostly.

2. good vocals - i mostly listen to songs with vocal emphasis

3. bluetooth connective

4. no hissing sound at rest - the speakers should not produce hissing or high frequency sound when on idle mode. One of my cheap f&d speaker does it, just can’t stand it.

5. budget 10k to 20k - i'm a student, so have limited budget. thanks!

You can check for Soundbars which would suit your budget and room filling sound.

Check this
Polk Audio Signa S2 Ultra-Slim Sound Bar

Check the for sale section, you may find some good deals or i found a listing in OLX for Marantz PM4001 for around 13K and PM5005 for around 20K.
Paring these with a good book shelf should complete your requirement. Try it out if that helps..

You can check for Soundbars which would suit your budget and room filling sound.

Check this
Polk Audio Signa S2 Ultra-Slim Sound Bar
is it any good? i was looking at it but the top reviews on amazon said that while playing music the bass just disappeared in like most of the songs and he said that in movies u can hear/feel the rumble but when it came to songs the bass was not lacking but absent! i am no bass head, infact i returned the edifier r1700bt just because of their boomy upper bass but i want the sound to be some what balanced. plus reading over the internet would suggest u need at least 2 channel separation to have that full sound?

How about something like these?

Add a BT device and you're good to go.

(No affiliation with the seller)
thanks for the reply. isn't there a simpler solution?

Do consider the Edifier luna e25 or marshall kilburn
luna's r supposed to be better than r1700bt by the same brand; also they r presently unavailable. with kilburn i imagined i would not get that ambient sound.

Of the above 3 I'd pick Allo+Daytons
Why?
Soundbars don't do music well. They fill the room maybe, but no separation.
Powered speakers in this budget is gonna come with their own limitations.
A bigger driver on the Daytons will fill the room better than smaller drivers at higher volume.

Have not heard any of these, products but sometimes bigger is better :)

Cheers,
Raghu

is it any good? i was looking at it but the top reviews on amazon said that while playing music the bass just disappeared in like most of the songs and he said that in movies u can hear/feel the rumble but when it came to songs the bass was not lacking but absent! i am no bass head, infact i returned the edifier r1700bt just because of their boomy upper bass but i want the sound to be some what balanced. plus reading over the internet would suggest u need at least 2 channel separation to have that full sound?

It was sounding good when i heard , but not sure about the issues above. I am not owning this.
Considering your budget thought it will suit you.

How about Bose Soundlink Revolve Bluetooh Speaker Black . It will not sound so big , but i liked it for music. You may check.

You can also look for powered stereo speakers something like this
JBL NANO Powered Monitor Pair
Yamaha HS5 Powered Studio Monitor

hello i may come off as very ignorant but i don’t know where or to whom to ask this question. For the past month i have been searching for a speaker to listen to when i am in my bed but i have been thoroughly confused with all the terminology and types of speakers - 2.0, 2.1, 5.0, 5.1, near filed, studio monitor, tower speaker, home theater system, multimedia speakers etc etc. finally i brought an Edifier r1700db bookshelf speakers but they were near-flied and in using them i understood that they can’t be used tin the way i wanted to, so i finally returned them. this has brought me here. hope some you can find the time to help me out.

though i have been and audio enthusiast for many years, but it has been mainly in in-ear, on-ear IEMs and headphones. Here is what i want from my speakers. please let me know if its possible in my budget range.

1. room filling sound/ unboxy sound - as i want to listen o them when i am in bed mostly.

3. bluetooth connective

4. no hissing sound at rest - the speakers should not produce hissing or high frequency sound when on idle mode. One of my cheap f&d speaker does it, just can’t stand it.

Hi,
Are you sure you wish to lie down in bed to listen to your music?

Lower frequencies tend to “fill” the room, but higher frequencies are closely associated with imaging, projecting a sound stage. My understanding is that tweeters and woofers need to be somewhat aligned (directional) to our ears to do this well.

if you are listening while lying down and wish to enjoy good quality audio you may need to mount speakers on the ceiling.
while this can be an interesting innovation, you may wish to consider a portable solution to your needs.

If listen to my music in bed I do it using my headphones (IEMs) (turning to sides is a challenge even with these). The sound stage with IEMs is somewhat limited, but a good BT receiver like FiiO BTR3 is tiny and can be lsurprisingly good.

3. bluetooth connective

Have a look at the Xtreme and Solo 5.

3. bluetooth connective

The IKEA Eneby is a strong contender for your requirements and well within your budget. Don’t go by it’s hypermart branding. Myself and Kartick (who has one) wrote about in in this thread: have a look. Also you’d find many YouTube videos reviewing it.

Swans m100mkIIs are the solution to your problems. It has Bluetooth very good mids smooth vocals, excellent stereo imaging... Go for it you won't be disappointed.Perfectly fits your budget too.

And if you want more fuller room filling sound then go for the bigger m200mkii. But they have no Bluetooth connectivity, you may have to add a Bluetooth receiver. I have one (Bluetooth receiver cum transmitter) for sale if you are interested

This is a rather simple solution though the exposed interiors through the exposed casework with a convoluted name may detract from it. I’m still not entirely sure what an allo digione/signature does! But this particular allo seems to be a simple class D amp, simple plug n play operation, and would provide you with the best hifi solution which will convincingly outperform most soundbars or standalone bt speakers. If you haven’t experienced stereo separation and imaging yet, this is an excellent place to start.

fyi, im rocking a somewhat similar config as my second setup i.e. a Bostons Acoustics A26 (14k) paired with a crown xls 1502 (21k) and connected by rca 3.5 mm cable to BT adapters (logitech - 1k, sa phoenix - 2.5k. You can also connect a phone/tablet or laptop/pc directly via 3.5mm jack). Simply put, the sound is fantastic for the price and beats any BT speaker or soundbar, not for loudness but for detail retrieval, stereo imaging and soundstage (but they can bet plenty loud too). Upon adding a dac (i use a chord mojo), the sound becomes simply phenomenal. Looking back at my journey so far, i’d probably not have upgraded as much if i’d gotten this formula right in the first instance (then again, perhaps not). So perhaps try this out? The upgrade path, if you think you’re gonna be inclined, is also going to be easier.

Though the crown may be out of reach, the allo seems to be promising for the price. Perhaps an FM with hands on experience can help with the pros and cons?

there seem to be other cheap class d options from fx audio on Hifimart for approx 7k also.

Add a decent DAC sometime down the line and you have a winning combination that is going to have you spellbound.

Surely there are simpler options. But, IMHO these will sound better than most.
+2 for class d amp + dayton audio speakers.
Or taga perhaps? No idea about how good taga is. Maybe @avtar2008 can chip in?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a rather simple solution though the exposed interiors through the exposed casework with a convoluted name may detract from it. I’m still not entirely sure what an allo digione/signature does! But this particular allo seems to be a simple class D amp, simple plug n play operation, and would provide you with the best hifi solution which will convincingly outperform most soundbars or standalone bt speakers.
<snip>
Digione is a network streamer/player with SPDIF output on COAX; needs an outboard DAC
Allo also has Boss (or mini-Boss) which is a network streamer/player + DAC
Add Volt+ D and one has a 2 "box" solution; needs a pair of speakers
Cheers,
Raghu

Digione is a network streamer/player with SPDIF output on COAX; needs an outboard DAC
Allo also has Boss (or mini-Boss) which is a network streamer/player + DAC
Add Volt+ D and one has a 2 "box" solution; needs a pair of speakers
Cheers,
Raghu
Still confused. So if i already use a pc/laptop with an outboard DAC, are there any benefits to adding a digione?

3. bluetooth connective

Hi, you can consider Swans M50W 2.1 active system within your budget. Link It has sweet vocals and thumping bass. Good VFM speakers.

Still confused. So if i already use a pc/laptop with an outboard DAC, are there any benefits to adding a digione?
Functionality wise no. SQ wise, it depends on DAC, etc.
In my expts laptop/USB vs Digione/COAX, Digione sounds definitely better.
I may just have a lousy USB cable; USB sometimes sounds dull on my Parasound chain.
COAX (via Digione) sounds much more balanced and lively.
An update on my Parasound thread is long due :)

Digione is a standalone network player/streamer (SPDIF/COAX)
The advantage for me was, it frees up my laptop and I had coax input free on DAC.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Functionality wise no. SQ wise, it depends on DAC, etc.
In my expts laptop/USB vs Digione/COAX, Digione sounds definitely better.
I may just have a lousy USB cable; USB sometimes sounds dull on my Parasound chain.

Digione is a standalone network player/streamer (SPDIF/COAX)
The advantage for me was, it frees up my laptop and I had coax input free on DAC.

Cheers,
Raghu
That sort of clears things up. So its a network steamer without an onboard dac.

On the issue with the laptop, it could be a problem with the usb cable if Paul from PS Audio is to be believed.

I remember this one video where he said that they were using a cheap ass generic usb cable during an audio show because they forgot to get along their own and the system sounded terrible. apparently, after somebody lent them a better cable shortly thereafter, the problem was resolved.

Also, there was this other video by them where they alleged that they test all their equipment with a Laptop as thr source as they find it to be the cleanest.

+2 for class d amp + dayton audio speakers.
Or taga perhaps? No idea about how good taga is. Maybe @avtar2008 can chip in?
I didn't hear dayton audio speaker, but I can say that taga harmony 606 se are good for casual music listening but don't expect deep bass from them, but it sufficient for normal listening.

Moreover, you can have a look at Jamo 360 series. They lack bass but fill every corner of your room with same sound. I have jamo s35 5.0 hcs and installed them as height channel, They gives the same experience as malls/theatre waiting areas. But keep in mind that you definitely need to pair them a sub to have good experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back