A note on my system update

murali

Now that I am nearing the end of my professional career and gearing up for a retired life in the near future, I just completed (hopefully) a final upgrade of my HT components. I had already finished my stereo setup with a Ayre C-5 source, ARC Ref-3 preamp, Aesthetix Atlas power amp, Vandersteen Quatro wood speakers and accessories. The HT system being integrated to the music system, I retain my Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray player but now added a Marantz AV-7701 processor and a Anthem MCA-50 multichannel amp to drive the center and surround speakers. Wireworld Silver Starlight HDMI cables connect these components and all my ICs are now balanced. Am I satisfied? Yes, indeed.

That has freed my workhorse Rotel processor (RSP-1068) and multichannel amp (RMB-1075) and now I am contemplating whether to put them for sale or use them in a second system. The Rotels no doubt do justice to both music and movies with only the HDMI connectivities missing. For the last few years since getting the Oppo, I have been using the Oppo's decoding facilities but running several analogue ICs from it to the Rotel processor. I would not say the replacement with Marantz gives a day and night difference but is still noticeable. I needed a bigger multichannel amp like Anthem to drive my behemoth center speaker (Vandersteen VCC-5) and the Rotel fell a little short there.

Needless to say, I already sold off my older Vandersteen 2Ce Signature speakers, VTL 5.5 preamp and recently the Ayre V-5. They were all wonderful to listen to but I did not want them to sit there idle.

When I get an opportunity, I will post some pictures of my systems, not bad to look at sitting on Solid Tech and Taoc stands.

Thank you and cheers.
murali

good stuff there Murali! have a great time listening to good stuff without any more cares sir!

Its inspiring... I too am working hard to retire and listen to my music on a great system!

Hi Malvai,

VERY interesting stuff ..... :)

I am VERY interested to know yr thoughts and comparision between the VTL 5.5 and ARC Ref-3 Pre amps that you have owned.

Do share. Thanks

Hi Malvai,

VERY interesting stuff ..... :)

I am VERY interested to know yr thoughts and comparision between the VTL 5.5 and ARC Ref-3 Pre amps that you have owned.

Do share. Thanks

I presume this question is for me.

Basically, the VTL comes with single-ended inputs (only) and balanced outputs whereas the ARC is balanced throughout, the main reason I went for the change. The VTL uses a little global negative feedback whereas the Reference-3 from ARC is their first without any global negative feedback. The VTL produces very enjoyable music, I won't say the most accurate and precise imaging, but quite fast-paced with a clean sound and great soundstage. There is absolutely no listening fatigue and the more you hear, the more you enjoy. The mid-range excels and the bass is good enough.
The ARC is a different animal. What stands out immediately is the dynamics and its quick response to low and high notes. The soundstage is spectacular and I feel more space and separation among various instruments, especially front-to-back. If you listen to a church choir type of music, in a huge cathedral or hall where you expect the microphone to hang down from the ceiling, the soundstage just keep on extending, sidewise and front-to-back. The bass is great and the mid-range extremely pleasant. Even at low listening volumes, you don't miss anything.
All these comparisons are based on CD and SACD music from my Ayre C-5 player and my older system of Ayre V-5 and Vandy 2Ce. After changing to Aesthetix Atlas and Vandy Quatro wood, I did not get a chance to test the VTL but the ARC is even more listenable. I believe the Reference-5 which came immediately after I bought the 3 is even greater and I have not listened to it yet.
When I moved from VTL, my shortlisted substitutes were the ARC Ref-3, VTL 7.5 and BAT VK-51SE but since I got a reasonable deal for the ARC from their Dubai dealer, I went for it.
I would still recommend the VTL 5.5 to anyone wanting to own a decent hifi system with a good source, power amp and speakers. It is great value for money and produces spectacular music. I still have some 12AX7 and 12AT7 NOS tubes I bought for it (Telefunken, Mullard etc). In fact, I gave the VTL to one local guy near my home at cheap price who also bought my Vandys and recently the Ayre at more sane prices.
Finally, all my cables and accessories are unchanged - Audioquest Sky between source and preamp and Cheetah to power amp, all 72V DBS, double biwire Auidoquest Volcano speaker cables, VH Audio Flavor-4 power cords, Solid Tech Rack of Silence for the CDP and preamp, and Taoc amplifier stand.

I think I have now reached the point of diminishing returns and do not wish to add or subtract anything (unless something goes wrong) though I still keeping looking at some great equipment I would dream of owning, like a BAT Rex preamp, KX-R preamp, MX-R monoblocks, ARC Ref-220 monoblocks etc. I never feel like listening to another speaker after the Vandy Quatro though their 5A is even greater. But I know I won't take more extreme steps, especially the money involved and the greatest difficulty of reselling things in India at reasonable prices.

Thank you and cheers.
murali

I think I have now reached the point of diminishing returns and do not wish to add or subtract anything....

murali

Haha Murali...you have now arrived at the most interesting point in being an audiophile! This is where one does not look for value but for absolute improvements. I assure it is an expensive journey sadly (one reason I never bought a car) and a route where one is bound to make and accept some mistakes along the way...but the rewards..wow..they cannot be bought anymore so they are many times sweeter :)
I too now feel I have reached a point where I can stop looking and enjoy the music. It is quite interesting that so many systems can now be "upgraded" remotely, which at least gives some opportunity to keep up with developments without worrying about hardware changes.

BTW I did have a BAt rig once and absolutely loved it. It is not the most neutral of amps I found out in time. But once bitten by the BAT...

Last edited:
You are partly right. As far as I look at it, I now have a very good combination in terms of source, preamp, power amp and speakers. At the back of my mind, the only longing is for a pair of monoblocks. Before buying the Atlas, I tried hard to narrow down to monoblocks but could not find anything, especially 2nd hand units, for less than $5-digit. There are, of course, some available at lower prices, like Quicksilver, but I could not make up my mind. Ayre MX-R was my quest but they don't sell in my range. I do not want full-tube ones for power with tube replacement a nuisance once I move back to India. So the choice fell to hybrid. More specifically the Aesthetix Atlas after rejecting the Ayre V-1.
Of course, I have hardly used it for almost an year now but hope it stays with me for a long time unless there is someone looking for it and willing to spend a few lakhs. That might motivate me to go after the MX-R!

cheers.
murali

I must say Murali the Aesthetix has got very good reviews, and I don't see why it should not be easy to move on, even in India. I too brought my system in last year and although I do like tubes, decided I was better off with solid state for reliability and robustness. I do remember my Audio Rogue amp requiring a lot of love and care, and it was a big tough old beast.
However, I am surprised at how much support and knowledge there is around in India for tube amps and I am seriously considering using one for a second system in my bedroom (as long as I can deal with the heat)! Don't let that put you off. So saying I am sure the Ayre monoblocks will be a wonderful choice....

Hi murali,

My apologies to you on 2 counts :

1. Yes, my query was addressed to you,.

2. Sorry for this Tardy reply. This is a busy Forum with a large number of postings. As a result, I find it difficult to track threads that interest me or where I have posted. Any suggestions, guys on how I can better tract specific posts ?

Thanks murali for your very nice feedback on the VTL and ARC Pre amp comparison. Much appreciated. I am an ARC user and have also held VTL in High esteem. ( I have heard the VTL 7.5 Series 1 many years ago at a Hi Fi Show in Taiwan.) Yes, I too operate my system fully balanced.

Regarding the ARC Ref-3 do you have a 'problem' that with a CD player input, the volume control has to be operated WAY LOW ? Almost no scope to turn it up to the 60 mark or above ?

The Ref 5 has incorporated a Lo, Med & Hi Sensitivity Switch, which the Ref-3 lacks.

Thanks again.

Hi murali,

My apologies to you on 2 counts :

1. Yes, my query was addressed to you,.

2. Sorry for this Tardy reply. This is a busy Forum with a large number of postings. As a result, I find it difficult to track threads that interest me or where I have posted. Any suggestions, guys on how I can better tract specific posts ?

Thanks murali for your very nice feedback on the VTL and ARC Pre amp comparison. Much appreciated. I am an ARC user and have also held VTL in High esteem. ( I have heard the VTL 7.5 Series 1 many years ago at a Hi Fi Show in Taiwan.) Yes, I too operate my system fully balanced.

Regarding the ARC Ref-3 do you have a 'problem' that with a CD player input, the volume control has to be operated WAY LOW ? Almost no scope to turn it up to the 60 mark or above ?

The Ref 5 has incorporated a Lo, Med & Hi Sensitivity Switch, which the Ref-3 lacks.

Thanks again.

With CD, I usually operate the volume knob at around 30 - 40. That is good enough to listen in my room which is about 20 X 10 ft with a L-extension. Even if I jack it up to 50 - 60, there is no problem. With SACD, I operate a little higher, 40 - 50 usually.

I have never gone beyond 60.

I also use its Processor bypass when playing my HT whose fronts are integrated to it. It then assumes a unity gain position and exercises no control over the volume.

The only hitch - it produces a hum through the front speakers whenever I switch off the mute and even when the volume position is just 1. I have yet to identify the cause of it. It happens with both the Ayre and Aesthetix power amps.

The only nuisance - it comes with a 20A IEC instead of the usual 15A you even see in your power amps!

But it produces glorious music.

murali

IndianEars,

(I guess ears are all the same, irrespective of race, cast or creed...)

Just one thing I forgot to mention to add a little more clarity on volume control. The Vandy speakers follow bass equalisation with a built-in amplifier for the woofer. So it is imperative that there is a high-pass filter inserted between the pre and power amps, Richard Vandersteen's philosophy appreciated and respected by several people in the field. Though the Aesthetix has that provision built-in, I bought the speakers before that and hence use Richard's supplied balanced high-pass filters with the inside switches adjusted for the power amp's input impedance. They greatly relieve the main power amp from the strain of producing all those low frequencies and so the mid-range really stands out.

Unfortunately, I have not optimised the equalisation part. First, he does not supply the CD with test tones (though he recently wrote to me that it is now available in his website) and lets the dealer do it. Unfortunately, there is no dealer in India to help that. Plus, being almost approaching 60, I am unable to strain too much with moving these 70 kg behemoths around and my eyesight is also not that good for too many experiments in settings and switches. Hope one day someone will help me do it.

I am sorry I have written too much. Thanks and bye.

murali

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back