A review - Yamaha RX V371 paired with Yamaha NS 8390

Given your taste of music and room size floor stands is the way to go. Your music preference is 70% so preferably get good FS and a so so centre. Keep surround for bare minimum requirement of movies.

I guess there is a NS8900 (7.5k) on sale in the forum check out if its still available. Last November, the mrp was 16k not sure if it actually increased to 19k or its a high quote to you. Even the quote for amp is on higher side. Visit Vector Systems and you should get 471 for 24k max ('m not a representative of Vector, but I'm fan of the stock they keep and the service they provide).

For that room size YST 215 will be less than ideal. Even polk 100 would not suffice. You will need a really powerful sub to create ambience in that room. Keep aside min 25K for that.

NS C444 (Rs 8.5k) is only center channel. They come with bookshelves (@ additional cost) as surround which are way overpriced.

Audition
Wharefedale - Vector Systems, Brigade Road after Sonido
Tannoy - htstore
Polk - Pro fx, MG Road,
Morduant Short - Audio plannet, Koramangala, behind BDA Complex, I'm yet to find this place :-(

Its always economical to go for package deals however they also have few not so good components. In this case Yamaha center surround. I like NS C444 center. but surrounds are crap. There is a package in Hypercity, Meenakshi mall, Banerghatta Road. Yamaha NS8390 + Yamaha NS 55 (center surround package, these are comparatively better and powerful than others but they are all old models, meaning not with the recent league of products) + Yamaha sub (not sure of the model) + HTR 3064 AVR (specification same as RX 371) for 44k. I think its a deal if you are stuck to all Yamaha package.

I have seen them stocking these. There can be other brands which I'm not aware of.
AVR Stock in Vector - Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon.
Stereo Amp - Yamaha, Denon, Norge
Speakers - Wharfedale, B&W, Yamaha.

True.. I just mentioned... it's upto him whether he wants to go this way or not..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen them stocking these. There can be other brands which I'm not aware of.
AVR Stock in Vector - Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon.
Stereo Amp - Yamaha, Denon, Norge
Speakers - Wharfedale, B&W, Yamaha.
------------------------------------------

I plan to visit Vector systems tomorrow at Brigade road.
However, it seems they don't have personnels at the showroom to explain the details... I would need to take an appointment to visit them. :)

On the phone, they said....471 is 29.5 with 10% discount.

I'll keep all posted of my visit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the phone, they said....471 is 29.5 with 10% discount.
I'll keep all posted of my visit.

I am given a quote of 24500 by Uniquesys, please check with them and I hope its not too late

Hello,

Thanks for all these suggestions. I have bought HTR-3064 with NS8390.

Just one query for experts, NS8390 is quite old model does it still matches in performance with its latest competitors.

I 'm eagerly waiting for the system to be deliverd tomorrow :)

Just one query for experts, NS8390 is quite old model does it still matches in performance with its latest competitors.

You need to first freeze on how you define competitor who are its competitors and that should answer part of your question ;)

BTW how much did you pay? how do you find the combination?

I made a DIY stand for the towers and moved it 12" up. That cleaned the bass response a lot, although the intention was to increase the listening hight.
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/24148-increase-hight-floor-stands.html

Last edited:
hi to all the dear music lover brothers and sisters. looking for an experienced opinion for speaker system with RX-V671 and RX-V471

@ pupupuchi28, thanks & kudos for the insightful and well-written review. I own almost identical setup (v471 instead of v371), and my shipment of center & surround speakers of Yamaha P60 has just arrived today (look forward to listening to it). IMHO, surround speakers are not as important as the front and the center speakers for home theater. What do you think?

I am on the lookout for an AVR, with limited budget. Primary concern is music, but do not wish to lose out on the option of upgrading to an HT setup later on, so opting for an AVR.
I do not need advanced networking features, my choice therefore is RX 371.
How is the 371 in terms of musical quality, also will it be able to drive floorstanders like Wharfedale 10.5 or Sonodyne 2605 V3?
Will it have enough juice, so to speak to bring them to life?

Thanks, looking forward to responses and learn some more.

Hi Eveybody, I find this thread really informative and hence would request experts like pupupuchi28 and others round here for a suggestion on my shortlisted speakers. I am usually interested in listening to very loud music with undistorted low bass and high frequency.I am upgrading my front speakers (Old Sonodyne Speakers Studio 50) with my AV Receiver RX-V671.I have shorlisted Yamaha NS 8390 (Price-Rs.13K) and Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 (Price-Rs.21500).

If you are having 671 (which is a very good AVR), but if you have a restricted budget for speakers, I would recommend to go for Pioneer SP-FS51LR. Its better than other models mentioned by you, IMHO.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

@Surajit - Considering you are using avr can I safely assume that this is for movie use? Then Sonodyne 2605 is very good for that. Great frequency response and on brighter side. The bass from speakers ensure that you can do well without a sub in a moderate size room(~200 sq ft). Consider Pioneer as well. Although I haven't heard the Pioneer but read good reviews.

Thanks Koushik & Santy for your quick response.Just to have more clarity and keeping in mind that RXV 671 can deliver continuos power of 90Watt @ 8 Ohms as per spec. where as Sonus 2605 V3 has a continuous power rating of 130 Watt.This will unnecessary heat up the amp for over stretching to drive the same.On the other side,Yamaha NS8390 states 70 Watt nominal power and 220 peak power @ 8 Ohms should perform better than the Sonus logically.Pioneer model as metioned by Santy is not available in Kolkata.
I have auditioned both with the same track but with different AVR's typically in a acoustically designed showroom and both sounded well but I am still confused on there performance on high volumes with RXV 671 in 350Sqft hall.
Please share your knowledge and suggestions.

I bought the Yamaha 8390 speakers after comparing the same with Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 keeping in mind the nominal/continuous power rating of Yamaha RXV 671 and the speakers selected.As my ratio, music to movies is 75:25 and is generally a loud listener. It is performing quite well paired with a 10" JBL subwoofer.The only problem I found that my receiver warms up excessively after playing at a volume of -5 for only 30 minutes in 2.1 channel mode and I am forced to turn down the volume in fear of a burn/failure.Has anyone here faced such issues? I have been using Sonodyne for the last 25 years without any such hitch and I have already started to loose confidence on this brand/product.

If its like luke warn iron pressing machine, than thats fine. BTW -5 dbl ref on AVR is quite high. Keep the AVR in a open space while playing (if it is inside a closed cabinet). There is a protection circuit in these AVRs, so dont worry, it will cut off before it fries :)

Enjoy the music!

hello friends,,,
yamaha 8390 floor standers + yamaha ns-p60 package( for center and surround) and av receiver denon x500 or pioneer 523 and for sub. polk 110.
is this a good combination..
please suggest ...maybe few changes in this system ??
my budget is 60k

The surrounds are fine for money, I have the same, check out Pioneer sp-fs52. These are awesome, during auditioning we found it better than the yamaha FS however everyone's taste in music differs.
Polk sub is good vfm.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back