A sign of things to come

gobble

Check this out guys!!

The new Indian currency symbol is guess what?

A Maoist Hammer and Sickle in disguise!! :lol:

15rupee1.jpg

Rupee has a symbol! IIT-ian's design selected : Rediff.com Business

The communist leaning left sympathisers in the UPA have won a major hidden victory in presenting its symbolism to the rest of the world :rolleyes: ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
What a pointless exercise in pomposity. And to add to that the symbol looks like crap. We Indians are really getting a bit full of ourselves.

Well I wouldn't say this is as pointless. With the Indian currency gaining importance globally it was felt that a symbol was needed for the currency. Further it would help distinguish INR from rupee of Pakistan or Rupiah of Indonesia.

But I agree with your 2nd point completely. I had seen the other designs also on some website and finally the 5 short listed on and I can say that there were much better designs available than this one.

to me it looks copy of euro and a great lack of any innovation. But the positive side is the simplicity R drawn this way works for both hindi and english.

Guess what: I'm probably the only Tamil-language chauvinist who doesn't speak Tamil!

I want a Tamil version! :)
to me it looks copy of euro and a great lack of any innovation
Given the government's obsession with USA, I'm surprised that it doesn't echo the $ sign! :lol:

Please ignore me while I say this is EXACTLY WHY IDIOT PEOPLE IN A UNINION F****** CABINET SHOULDNT BE ALLOWED TO MAKE DESIGN DECISIONS AFFECTING A WHOLE NATION WHEN IT COMES TO DESIGN. WTF....why isnt NID on this. nid would rip this to shreds.

holy hell, sad sad day for the indian design industry. The international design world must be loling their asses off. The neck..the size to body visibility ratio... arghhh *claws own face off*

I am now completely ashamed if the ruppee..apart from the name roopee even more ashamed as a designer now for its identity...

EVERYTHING DOSNT HAVE TO BE LITERAL........... when will people start thinking dynamically !!@#!$@#$

Last edited:
Well, having made the coinage unrecognizable in the dark (I have to put my glasses on in daylight, how on earth do the blind manage?) I guess they had to do something next. Next thing: make all the notes the same size and colour?

Everyone is going to carry in writing Rs. anyway...

Guess what: I'm probably the only Tamil-language chauvinist who doesn't speak Tamil!

I want a Tamil version! :)
Given the government's obsession with USA, I'm surprised that it doesn't echo the $ sign! :lol:

You are not the only one!! That makes two of us!! :lol:

Well, having made the coinage unrecognizable in the dark (I have to put my glasses on in daylight, how on earth do the blind manage?) I guess they had to do something next. Next thing: make all the notes the same size and colour?

Everyone is going to carry in writing Rs. anyway...

I once gave an rickshawallah a 500 note thinking it was a 100 note in the semi darkness. :mad::mad::mad:

It is slightly better than the other 4 entries. But it should have had 1 line less, for ease of use. Also, it does not look cool, which is a problem.

I once gave an rickshawallah a 500 note thinking it was a 100 note in the semi darkness. :mad::mad::mad:

Damn!!.... thats exactly what i did a week back......as it the rickshawala's in bangalore are the face of goondaism and often extract more money from their passengers than U.S from the Gulf......hate to give those rogues a ruppee more than they deserve and giving away 500 bucks to an autowala, definitely gave me nightmares!!!!

It is slightly better than the other 4 entries. But it should have had 1 line less, for ease of use. Also, it does not look cool, which is a problem.

Exactly what I thought! One less line of the middle line ...! You spoke my mind :) Now we have to live with it. Soon it will be on keyboards everywhere.... :rolleyes:

sanchit, how exactly is the importance of the rupee as a currency growing globally? i agree india is an important economy now, but the only contexts in which the rupee is used is in trade with India. It is not a benchmark currency. As far as I know, it is not used to denominate the price of oil or any other commodities.

And the biggest lie is that we're the 5th currency to have as symbol. Tons of currencies have symbols. See here - XE - World Currency Symbols . Just that no one really took these symbols seriously. Which is what is going to happen to this godawful symbol that they've come up with.

And yes Thad, my first reaction was why on earth does it have to Devnagri?

----

and OT, all people complaining about Bangalore rickshaw-wallahs, please come and spend some time in Chennai. You will go back with great affection for the rickshaw-wallahs in your city.

Its not cool...its very Indian. It represents the "Ra" in English and Hindi. Very simple and elegant. What do indians represent ? Simplicity and practical. We are uncool and unfashionable but get the work done. We simple indians are bringing the world to its knees. We are proud to be the fastest growing economies in the world. Prosperity to all in years to come.

The symbol perfectly represents what we are ! Just like our craftels and norges we are here to get the work done and looks don't matter !

Look at your face in the mirror, are you a good looking cool dude or a practical person ?

I object, it should contain elements of all the 326 Indian scripts.

No .. No .. since India invented Zero and its philosophy dwells at length on Nothingness .. the new currency symbol should be ... NOTHING!! :lol:

Edit: Why does my NOTHING have upper case? Should it be lower? Nothing has no case ... Halp! what a Dilemna!! ;)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back