A sign of things to come

Raj - the US is multicultural? Not a chance!

You can at best say that the US has people who hail from multiple cultures. That is oh-so-different from what we have as in a pot-pourri of cultures which are indigenous.

And yes - those people who switch allegiances for greener pastures, when do they know to stop? What shade of green would make them stop? Who knows? By the way, your bringing in US companies in this context does not make sense. They operate on an entirely different, capitalistic principle as they should. We are talking about individuals here.

There is no similarity between US and India, Raj. The US speaks one language. Has one official (even if unspoken) religion. Eats the same kind of food - coast to coast. Any parallels here in India to that?

I have to politely disagree with you on all of the above. There is no need for the cultures to be indigenous to form a multicultural society. US speaks one language? Dude, get real. The linguistic diversity may not be as much as India but a diversity nonetheless.
The point about US companies I thought was obvious. You made a point that Americans care so much about their country and that is why it is prosperous. So, I pointed out obvious capitalistic behavior. One does not have hunker down inside the country to make it prosperous. If you think that there is no similarity between US and India, I can only surmise that you have not spent enough time in the US. But, I can be wrong.

jingoism - and

the need to belong to.....

the need to conform-

the need to have an identity-

the need to justify one's existence -

all these arise from the fear of the unknown -

and from laying too much importance in our mortal existence-

history is unimportant - except, of course, insofar as it comforts us - and gives one purpose and identity.

the living ones (with broad shoulders) are those who make history - for the weak to lean on.

the past does not matter at all -

THAT IS (THE ULTIMATE) DEMOCRACY!

Raj - the US is multicultural? Not a chance!

You can at best say that the US has people who hail from multiple cultures. That is oh-so-different from what we have as in a pot-pourri of cultures which are indigenous.

And yes - those people who switch allegiances for greener pastures, when do they know to stop? What shade of green would make them stop? Who knows? By the way, your bringing in US companies in this context does not make sense. They operate on an entirely different, capitalistic principle as they should. We are talking about individuals here.

There is no similarity between US and India, Raj. The US speaks one language. Has one official (even if unspoken) religion. Eats the same kind of food - coast to coast. Any parallels here in India to that?

Dude, this post is as far from the truth as is possible...

I have to politely disagree with you on all of the above. There is no need for the cultures to be indigenous to form a multicultural society. US speaks one language? Dude, get real. The linguistic diversity may not be as much as India but a diversity nonetheless.
The point about US companies I thought was obvious. You made a point that Americans care so much about their country and that is why it is prosperous. So, I pointed out obvious capitalistic behavior. One does not have hunker down inside the country to make it prosperous. If you think that there is no similarity between US and India, I can only surmise that you have not spent enough time in the US. But, I can be wrong.

Well you are wrong. :). And are you welcome to disagree.

But there is no gainsaying the fact that religious, linguistic and cultural variations in India leave the US far behind in terms of number and complexity. This is just fact. Also I did not say that cultures have to be indigenous to form a multicultural society.

Like I said, numerous settlers from various places - as far off as Ireland and various parts of Europe - may have come and settled down in the US. But dont forget, once they are part of that land, they become American. They speak English. Etc, Etc.

It does not work the same way in India - in case you have observed.

Oh yes - the Americans care about their country. Indeed. And yes, this is a discussion about individuals so by definition bringing in corporates is going to be irrelevant. Every corporate has to be capitalistic. Not so with individuals.

And I did not say that mere staying back in India is going to help make the country prosperous. Please do not assume so. There is a lot that one can do even when staying abroad. Arguably that can be done from within the country as well. But the intentions matter - whether we really want to come down and settle here? Or are we doing it out of a wistful, romantic notion of doing-good that has settled upon our mind, whilst wanting to stay wherever we are settled in the world?

No matter - India can use all the help it can get. :)

Dude, this post is as far from the truth as is possible...

Well then please enlighten us with the truth then!

Are you denying that you can hardly exist in the US without knowing English at least in rudimentary fashion? Is that not the language of liaison and in general the common language?

Are you denying that Christianity looms large on the US?

Are you denying that generally speaking the same sort of food is consumed all over the US? Now, on this point keep in mind the diversity of food associated with a country like China or India. Then compare...

The diversity aspect of India is what I wanted to highlight. You drive a 100 kms in one direction through India and you end up in a place where people dress differently, talk a different language, worship a different God and in general have different practices.

Consider if that is true of the US.

The diversity aspect of India is what I wanted to highlight. You drive a 100 kms in one direction through India and you end up in a place where people dress differently, talk a different language, worship a different God and in general have different practices.

Hi,

Thought of giving a realtime example for linguistic diversity - Due to linguistic diversity, Indian judiciary is having a tough time. People, lawyers from different states insist that regional language of the states be used as an official language in corresponding HCs.

If we do so, it would not only add technical difficulties like translation, redundancy, etc., but also further delay the delayed justice that often people complain about.

This exemplifies the difficulty we are facing here, which does not exist at all, or if it does, then not as much as it is in here, in other countries.

One more thing, I dont understand the logic of abandoning something rather than to find a solution. Dont we solve differences that exist in our families, or do we just abandon and join one that is better?

My 2 rupees!

Cheers!

And I did not say that mere staying back in India is going to help make the country prosperous. Please do not assume so.
I did not say you said this. But that is the general point in this thread.
And that is what I was referring to.
There is a lot that one can do even when staying abroad. Arguably that can be done from within the country as well. But the intentions matter - whether we really want to come down and settle here? Or are we doing it out of a wistful, romantic notion of doing-good that has settled upon our mind, whilst wanting to stay wherever we are settled in the world?

No matter - India can use all the help it can get. :)

Are you being serious? In many of parts the US, you can drive for 100 miles and not even see another human being.
However, there are many places in the US where you can interact with people from many corners of the world and far off cultures in a restaurant or an office. It is definitely not as common in India. Does it mean that India is less diverse?

However, there are many places in the US where you can interact with people from many corners of the world and far off cultures in a restaurant or an office.

Yes you can. But just trying to force feed you diversity into everyday working and see how quickly you get Americanised in terms of food habits, speaking habits, and even what you watch on TV. This may not be done by force. It is just that you cannot survive otherwise. That is the reason a Samrat becomes Sam. Schwarzenegger may originally have been from Czechoslovakia, but there is no representation of someone who is more Americanised.

Compare this to what Venkatesmart said.

Cheers

Schwarzenegger may originally have been from Czechoslovakia, but there is no representation of someone who is more Americanised.

Cheers

ShivajiNagar when spoken in American Twang becomes "Schwarzenegger" .

in college we used to call all local body builders Mr. ShivajiNagar!! :lol:

Cheers

In a funny way, our country may baffle us in its complexity, contradiction, and in the fact that good and evil co-exists so effortlessly. However, nothing comes close to this in terms of sheer entertainment value and in the way it constantly challenges our notions :)

no wonder in a survey done by Reader's Digest Indians were much happier people than Americans.

ShivajiNagar when spoken in American Twang becomes "Schwarzenegger" .

in college we used to call all local body builders Mr. ShivajiNagar!! :lol:

Cheers

We used to call them "Arnold Shivashankar":)

Last edited:
Are you being serious? In many of parts the US, you can drive for 100 miles and not even see another human being.
However, there are many places in the US where you can interact with people from many corners of the world and far off cultures in a restaurant or an office. It is definitely not as common in India. Does it mean that India is less diverse?

Raj - I am not sure you are even understanding my point. And if I am being anything less than serious, I am sure you would know.

Of course the US is a larger land mass. So what do you expect? You can indeed drive for a long distance without meeting another living being. Is that supposed to be vouching for diversity?

The point - I repeat - is not about how many people from various cultures are to be found in the US today! It is about whether they still practice those cultures there and more....

The conversation was never about visiting people. The concept was about the American people (leaving alone the natives who got the rawest deal). They have by and large one culture. And this was what I was pointing out - repeatedly.

Hi,

Thought of giving a realtime example for linguistic diversity - Due to linguistic diversity, Indian judiciary is having a tough time. People, lawyers from different states insist that regional language of the states be used as an official language in corresponding HCs.

If we do so, it would not only add technical difficulties like translation, redundancy, etc., but also further delay the delayed justice that often people complain about.

This exemplifies the difficulty we are facing here, which does not exist at all, or if it does, then not as much as it is in here, in other countries.

One more thing, I dont understand the logic of abandoning something rather than to find a solution. Dont we solve differences that exist in our families, or do we just abandon and join one that is better?

My 2 rupees!

Cheers!

Absolutely, Venkatesh. And this is but one of the examples that can be given to highlight the diversity to be found in our people.

gobble, nirrej,

Vivek, a Tamil movie comedian used to call him as Arnold "Switch-a-nakkinar". Nakkinar in Tamil means he licked it - Arnold Switch-a-nakkinar means Arnold who licked the switch;)

A phenomenon that intrigues me is the choices people make that seem circumstantial, but are in fact, a consequence of such intricate set of 'inadequacies' or guilt they carry around. Other alien forces are merely incidental.

A phenomenon that intrigues me is the choices people make that seem circumstantial, but are in fact, a consequence of such intricate set of 'inadequacies' or guilt they carry around. Other alien forces are merely incidental.

A profound statement, square wave. I completely agree.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back