A sign of things to come

Server3249,

Your lack of faith in the Indian medium is misplaced. Or shall I say your faith in the supremacy of everything western is misplaced?

I will now redefine everything I said in a single phrase "Epistemic Fascism"

What does this phrase mean? Wiki tells you -

So what I have been arguing against all the time is against a form of intellectual "fascism" that insists on applying only one world view and forcing it upon us. Almost always a Euro-Centric one. Your kind of view-points are the result of being subject to this form of fascism - every time single time you watch TV, visit a Crossword bookstore or see something on the Internet. The self-delusion is however such that one believes one is very modern and progressive, because one has so much access to information!! Earlier I chose and mentioned in metaphorical cynical and satirical terms a slang for a victim of this kind delusion - The English Speaking Idiot! I will approach this Idiot once again after I introduce a new question. So far I have made an attempt to be original in describing the problem in my own words, in order to develop my very own mode of arguments (I owe it to myself, do I not? :)) Now let us look at a small but crucial work of others.

There are some very good essays that deal with the following topics -

Is there an Indian way of doing science?

Is there an Indian way of thinking?

Here is an extract from one such good essay, please read it (the whole essay linked) to the last word:

From http://www.compasnet.org/afbeeldingen/Books/Traditional Knowledge India/balasubramanian.pdf

Now you see how absurd the claim as made by that "respectable" looking scholar is? That India lacked an unambiguous representation of knowledge? How is it that a postgraduate in Indian History can be so ignorant of India's linguistic heritage to be able to make such patently false claims?!! Or is there a vested interest in portraying a particular picture of India to gullible Indians themselves?

Now in order to treat disease, the doctor needs to understand the medical history of the patient. A closer examination of any history will expose patterns and trends that help define the problem statement. In fact it can also help identify a problem where one believes that none exists. Or it can alter the problem statement made in the current context taking into account what we know historically.

I mentioned the stone by stone destruction of Vijayanagara - you called it whining about the past. Perhaps in my earlier original post as well you may be able to pick out a few statements that appear to be accusatory.

Now consider the situation that in many schools across India, Sanskrit is being edged out to be replaced by Urdu, or the original problem we started with - of English being the primary medium of education in India - almost by compulsion, if you want to succeed. Are you now able to rephrase the problem as one of continuation of the Cultural Imperialism and examine the depth and scope of the problem in better light? Can you relate the stone-by-stone destruction of Vijayangara with the imposition of Urdu in many schools in India? One might argue that the Urdu community in India has been here long enough to warrant their inclusion. But at the expense of Sanskrit without which the original Indian Civilization loses everything it has?!! The word Impose is very crucial here, because it is not a matter choice - a student is not free to choose in many a school, either of Sanskrit or Urdu as a second language. He is compelled to learn it regardless of if he wants it or not.

Now why is it being imposed and why is there no freedom of choice? Because the vested interests want to impose it of course!! Why do they want to impose it and not provide choice? Because they "hate" the other. Why do they "hate" the other? Because they have been taught to "hate" the other. Who has taught them to "hate" the other? Todays history books and Media of course!! See - when the more than 1001 instances throughout our history where the primary culture of this land has provided land grants and facilities for the secondary cultures to establish their place of worship and practice their foreign faith - when all these instances are suppressed and buried, the people of secondary cultures forget any gratitude they might have for the primary mother culture that gave them space in the first place (in their own good faith). Instead if all that you hear repeatedly is that the primary culture is a threat to all it secondary sub-cultures, an intellectual hostility is created. Instead of praising and remembering the accommodating pluralism of Mother India, all you hear is how ugly it really is, repeated again and again. Over time this results in an attitude where one wants to dominate and impose rather than share the same space. That same intellectual hostility also translates into an emotional response on the ground with civil unrest, one that makes our society an unsafe one for all our children and for the growth and welfare of our Nation!!

Can you see how this epistemic fascism in all the English literature and books leads to a socially disruptive situation on the ground? Or how some amount of "Glory Singing" where the deeds of the past are good can be useful towards spreading social harmony and building a better future? You may well believe you are reading a progressive modern book and enlightening yourself, but in reality the views in the book are meant to reinforce certain negative stereotypes and split the loyalties of the nation that reads it, into multiple hostile camps.

I truly believe - The reason teaching is uninspiring in modern India today is because a crucial motivation has been robbed from the majority of them - an inability to relate to a form of knowledge that is alien to them, to which they have no cultural roots in the sub-conscious and unconscious. Robbed as they are of their cultural moorings in learning - they have been compelled to mug up and spit out a body of knowledge foreign in origin and approach, hence unable to inspire and motivate their students. The trend continues down the generations. Hence you and me suffered and our children will.

Indeed and I believe, the reason for lack of national spirit in modern India is rooted in this alienation. Once this connection is made,the motivation will come back, the civic sense will slowly emerge, the apathy will fade ... slowly over generations. Please understand the argument and perspective of Balasubramanium about indigenous folk knowledge - the depth of enculturation that a Sanskritic culture has endowed over 6000 years cannot be wished away overnight!! It will only sap the nation for centuries (while poor Indian civilization gets the blame), and while its vast population struggles to cope with an alien mode of thinking, forever looking to an imperfect west (with all its warts and sores hidden out of view :D) as its role-model.

Very good point Venkat.

Actually I neglected to mention one crucial reason why we need to understand our history better. Because we need to know exactly what to pick up from the past and build upon it, and what weaknesses to leave behind. A perusal of the linked document for example will teach us that we need not abandon our traditional indigenous modes of thinking and pursuit of knowledge, and our hope and strength may actually lie in reviving it in all village communities and building a bridge to modern science wherever feasible.

My dear Everybody - But I only speak English!! :D

My knowledge of my mother tongue is Sh!t maybe 10%, and I can speak good but limited Hindi for some time ... sooner than later I run out words... :)

I too was an English Speaking Idiot :D (Read "Confessions of an English Speaking Boy" - its raunchy ;)). However early on in my twenties, I grew immensely suspicious and alarmed of everything I was reading. "Daal mein kuch kaala legaa ..." Everywhere I turned, every bookshop, news item etc, I saw inferior western mentality of triumphant proof brandishing, and un-holistic viewpoints being bandied by so called learned experts in the field!! And almost always in a moralistic sermonizing tone :D !! The refined intellectual discernment was always reserved to cover up for the perceived weakness of western society. But I could not challenge them in my own mind because I never found out books that gave an alternative POV to structure my thoughts and build my intellectual foundations. Because of, as I as I mentioned earlier - the existence of syndicated scholarship.(Mind you from an early age, I was capable of reading medical texts without breaking into a sweat, or engineering books, my only limitation being lack of rigor in mathematics and absent mindedness :)) The result was I quit reading for a whole decade and reminded myself every day to avoid the trash until my vision of what it was became more clear.

Why do I call myself an ex-Idiot? Because I did not have the intellectual capacity to create myself the necessary mental constructs to classify the (what I know now as ) propaganda I was reading and give it structure, I could only swallow the knowledge from a book - exactly what our educational system is making us into - well qualified Duds, capable of taking orders and doing somewhat complex intellectual work that robots cannot do or above the level of menial labor (Another tool of cultural Imperialism BTW).

Today after many years of struggle I have enough evidence (from the works of others) to argue that the western academia you all so much admire for its "unconditional spirit of inquiry into the Truth" is actually one where a form of intellectual "Incestuous Inbreeding" is rampant - where a closed circle of academics review and qualify each others works, gain a false pseudo-respectability in the process, acquire that important chair and funding grant and pass off as world renounced experts in the field. An academia where critical reviews of their works that point out the flaws and shoddy scholarship are never cataloged for the review of future generations of scholars, a world in which people who try and reason are attacked vociferously and have their careers sidelined.

This is particularly true in the study of History, Anthropology and "other" Religions. Not your typical view of the respectable western academic institution is it? ;) And not very far from the description of that decrypt and run down institution in India where nepotism is rampant... :) !!

The core ideas from the substandard works of these western scholars then filters down into the paperbacks you buy and read from a CrossWord book store, or the documentary in History Channel or your favorite news channel. It is for this reason I do not watch TV since a decade and I almost never will in India!! However I do speed-read and survey the media almost every day, quickly ticking-off the falsehoods on the fly. Mind you till date I have not read a single book on propaganda theory even today!! :)

Anyways my intent was not to insult anybody just to point out a possibility so you can take a second look at your perceptions. :)

Cheers

After a casual perusal of all this, I have a question for you.
Why dont you do something about it ? Rather than adorning this role of an arm chair philosopher ! Write a book. Pave way for revolution. Make a new India !

I am sure if you are successful, the world will follow your ways !

Right now what you are doing is spewing poison and hatred on every achievement that has been achieved by non-Indians. All the revolutions ! All the advancement ! All the transformations ! Use the west for making money and for myriad things that makes life easier for us. But spew hatred on them with vainglorious proclamations of spiritual and philosophical superiority ! All the while staying in a morbid state of impotency! Awesome !

Sir, the west is not bothered by what you say. They have a life ! They have their own way of looking at things. They are happy in their own world. Their advancements and their way of life are meaningful to them. The find meaning from their own culture or subcultures. This the case of any nation or subculture in this world ! Neither they nor their grandchildren are bothered by what you or anyone else thinks about them.

The west is not imposing anything on us. It is the Indians who go after it. Have you ever asked the question why ? It is called attraction ! Make something more attractive and they will come after you !

For starters, try making a driver which will rival that driver which beautifies that speaker which you listen to. Succeed and we will START a dialogue of your intellectual superiority over an English speaking man. For example, Shakespeare.

With most sensible people, there exists a state of balance. Folks may speak in English for myriad practical reasons. Such individuals do not really mirror your twisted vision!

Last edited:
your twisted vision!

Square_wave, I am really surprised by your outbursts. I have been the one debating the most with Gobble, and frankly I do not see anything offensive in what he has written. He has been very vehement in what he had said, but what he has said is all true. The west has progressed by always looting other civilization, subjugating others, and claiming other's intellectual properties as their own. Many places in the world are yet under subjugation for various reasons - Africa for diamonds, Middle East for oil, and places such as Qatar and others for simple military presence. Even today the US tries to patent Basmati and Mahendi !!

I have also be subjected to the 'attraction' you talk about. Live with it for some time and see how hollow it is. I would rather live in a street in India, where I know the local customs, the local celebrations, understand what is happening, and more important, be a part of it. When you live abroad, how much ever you read about it and, even if you are a Christian, you will never understand Halloween, or even Christmas. More important, you will never feel you are a part of the system. The episodes will sound strange and alien, simple because you forefathers were not a part of what happened. The culture of a society can only be transferred through blood.

How much ever I may praise Silicon Valley, one thing is very clear. You can never be part of the decision making, irrespective of how many generations you have been there. My nephew, who spent his own money to start a company, HAD to hire a white skin to get entry into many organisations for business. An Indian, irrespective of his name and religion, will always be secondary. How much ever you try to adopt their culture, you will never form part of it. Even the Africans who have been in the US for donkey's years are forced to create their own culture and form sub groups to survive.

And I am talking about some of the countries with least restrictions. Go to places like Ireland, Germany, many places in the Middle East, Malaysia - and you will understand what I am talking about. Singapore which is dependent upon India for it very tourist livelihood, creates so much hassle to issue visas.

I have seen and interacted with many Indians living abroad. A large part of my family has moved to the west. The delineation, the being lost, being nowhere is always present. You can see it in their eyes, you can see it in the way they behave. They talk about cleanliness, they talk about clean water - but what I see is a hollowness and an emptiness.

You have name which is Sam Sharma. You speak English with an American accent but you are not an American. You cannot speak or converse properly in your own mother tongue. What the hell are you? A modern day nomad with no place to stay or live in?

I am showing below an Iyer Poem which shows this state of restlessness very clearly. I am sure this is relevant for people from all parts of India. People from the north put on a show of liking being westernised, but I believe that again is hollow.

IYER POEM..A time line of Iyer life

All these mamas and maamis have come here...
For a grand welcome of their new born fellow Iyer...
And my parents will feed food to me with a ring...
And give me a name long enough for you to sing...
(Krishnamoorthy Venkataraghava Krishna Doraiswamy,
But will simply call me Dorai!)

Topping my class is an inborn talent I possess
(We are an exception)
Teachers & relatives, whom I never fail to impress
Daily dosage of idli, dosai, sambar, rice and curd
Who on earth do you think will not turn into a nerd(hehe)

(Just after graduation.. . Preferably Electronics Engineering)
Yipeee Yipeee Yipeee... I completed my BE in IIT...
Also got a call from Infy...Ya right...Narayana Murthy...
( Proud fellow...Southie ! )
Up & Away to Bangalore by the next morning flight...
And then someday to USA...Yay Yay Yay...Onsite. ..
(You are right... Rhyming no?!)

(Single status in USA)
It has been four long years since I have come here...
And not a single girl who is ready to come near...
Here in United States I thought I'd get laid...
Down came crashing, the dreams that I'd made...

(8 yrs Onsite, somewhere in USA)
I miss my sambhar rice and the tasty thair saadam(curd rice)
Will speak to amma to find me a homely madam...
Will leave for Thirunelveli on a 30 day leave...
And come back with a maami right up my sleeve...

(Still onsite, we think)
I have two kids, but there is a gripping fear...
Both of them have no signs of being an Iyer...
Krishnaswamy & Sreemahalakshmi I named them fondly...
But Chris & Sally I call them if I want them to even reply...

(retire hogaya baap)
I am back to Thirunelveli with my ever faithful wife...
But my kids stayed there and think I don't have a life...
Tirupati, Guruvayoor, Shabarimala all we've been to...
Sun TV is our faithful friend which we always turn to...

(Now everything seems impossible)
Ayyayyo, what happened to all my dreams?
They have all simply turned into screams.
Children have already married and divorced thrice,
Playing with our grandchildren would've been nice.
Left with us are only aches and pains,
Life is full of only losses, with no gains.
Are we going to be the last of the brilliant Iyer generation?
To our children, tradition and culture are only a botheration!

Cheers

Square_wave, I am really surprised by your outbursts. I have been the one debating the most with Gobble, and frankly I do not see anything offensive in what he has written. He has been very vehement in what he had said, but what he has said is all true. The west has progressed by always looting other civilization, subjugating others, and claiming other's intellectual properties as their own. Many places in the world are yet under subjugation for various reasons - Africa for diamonds, Middle East for oil, and places such as Qatar and others for simple military presence. Even today the US tries to patent Basmati and Mahendi !!

I have also be subjected to the 'attraction' you talk about. Live with it for some time and see how hollow it is. I would rather live in a street in India, where I know the local customs, the local celebrations, understand what is happening, and more important, be a part of it. When you live abroad, how much ever you read about it and, even if you are a Christian, you will never understand Halloween, or even Christmas. More important, you will never feel you are a part of the system. The episodes will sound strange and alien, simple because you forefathers were not a part of what happened. The culture of a society can only be transferred through blood.

How much ever I may praise Silicon Valley, one thing is very clear. You can never be part of the decision making, irrespective of how many generations you have been there. My nephew, who spent his own money to start a company, HAD to hire a white skin to get entry into many organisations for business. An Indian, irrespective of his name and religion, will always be secondary. How much ever you try to adopt their culture, you will never form part of it. Even the Africans who have been in the US for donkey's years are forced to create their own culture and form sub groups to survive.

And I am talking about some of the countries with least restrictions. Go to places like Ireland, Germany, many places in the Middle East, Malaysia - and you will understand what I am talking about. Singapore which is dependent upon India for it very tourist livelihood, creates so much hassle to issue visas.

I have seen and interacted with many Indians living abroad. A large part of my family has moved to the west. The delineation, the being lost, being nowhere is always present. You can see it in their eyes, you can see it in the way they behave. They talk about cleanliness, they talk about clean water - but what I see is a hollowness and an emptiness.

You have name which is Sam Sharma. You speak English with an American accent but you are not an American. You cannot speak or converse properly in your own mother tongue. What the hell are you? A modern day nomad with no place to stay or live in?

I am showing below an Iyer Poem which shows this state of restlessness very clearly. I am sure this is relevant for people from all parts of India. People from the north put on a show of liking being westernised, but I believe that again is hollow.

What you've stated is true and known to most people who decide to immigrate. These people are not stupid, because otherwise they wouldn't get a job in a country like that. Immigrating to a first world country is one of the hardest things to do. They are chosen for their competence and as a resource only, and the countries that take them don't hide that. (e.g. unless you're of STEM background, the US has no interest in you).

The thing is, these people choose the lesser of the evils. If India were a developed country, very few would have reason to think about moving. These are highly educated people who know the quality of life they can lead as well as the trade-offs. You live only once and these people chose their path based on what they wanted out of life. Oh and having 2267 languages doesn't make you great, knowing what to do with it does.

The thing is, these people choose the lesser of the evils. If India were a developed country, very few would have reason to think about moving. These are highly educated people who know the quality of life they can lead as well as the trade-offs. You live only once and these people chose their path based on what they wanted out of life. Oh and having 2267 languages doesn't make you great, knowing what to do with it does.

No wonder they are called Not Required Indians. 'Choose the lesser of the evils' makes me wonder what their priorities are and what they wanted in their lives. Would you rather live packed 20+ into a room in Dubai, or live a comfortable and maybe not such a prosperous life in Kerala? I am sure you will immediately say that is not an example.

Let me give you both kinds of examples. On the one side is my 'ironman' who is a king in about 6 roads near where I live. We all know him since our childhood. With just a job as simple as charging Rs.2.5 per clothe for ironing, he has sent his child to the US for studies and, sadly, a job.

Compare this with taxi drivers I met from India and Pakistan in Dubai. They drive for some 14 hours a day, seven days a week, with just one week unpaid holiday a year. They earn 700 to 1000 Dhs a month that equates to roughly Rs.13,000. They send bulk of this amount to their families. They have never seen their children grow, they do not know what their families are doing and how they are living. The bulk of their lives have been spent behind the wheel. You cannot celebrate any festivals of have a get together, as they just do not have the money.

Fly 10,000 miles and go to the US. You have a lot of immigrants who earn in 6 figures. Compare this to hordes of successful employees as well as business men who earn nearly the same amount here. I won't even give you a guess as to who lives a better life. The immigrants are completely cutting off all their links both ways. I have seen a huge number of people not even bothering when their parents and near ones were ill and needed solace. I know of a gated community in Coimbatore that is full of parents in the late sixties and early seventies. You should hear the cry for companionship they scream everyday.

My uncle also lives in Coimbatore. He has built a small house for himself slightly outside the city. In the beginning I wan wondering how he was going to live as both he and his wife are really old. What happened? His neighbours, irrespective of caste and creed, have all adopted them. They troop to his house everyday and they keep themselves busy with story telling and exchanging notes.

Trade off? If you are an immigrant in the US, when you turn 60, your children abandon you as they get into their busy lives. Even if you decide to come back to India, you live a lonely life as you cannot adjust to the local 'unclean' culture.

I think you are confusing the culture of a society with development. Neither Gobble nor I ever argued or discussed India's development or it's needs. We were discussing something else altogether.

Cheers

so many broad generalisations!! can't we not understand that everything is not black or white , and neither all of the west, nor all of the east (or all of any aspect of the west or east) should be tarred with the same brush?

IYER POEM..A time line of Iyer life

All these mamas and maamis have come here...
For a grand welcome of their new born fellow Iyer...
And my parents will feed food to me with a ring...
And give me a name long enough for you to sing...
(Krishnamoorthy Venkataraghava Krishna Doraiswamy,
But will simply call me Dorai!)

Topping my class is an inborn talent I possess
(We are an exception)
Teachers & relatives, whom I never fail to impress
Daily dosage of idli, dosai, sambar, rice and curd
Who on earth do you think will not turn into a nerd(hehe)

(Just after graduation.. . Preferably Electronics Engineering)
Yipeee Yipeee Yipeee... I completed my BE in IIT...
Also got a call from Infy...Ya right...Narayana Murthy...
( Proud fellow...Southie ! )
Up & Away to Bangalore by the next morning flight...
And then someday to USA...Yay Yay Yay...Onsite. ..
(You are right... Rhyming no?!)

(Single status in USA)
It has been four long years since I have come here...
And not a single girl who is ready to come near...
Here in United States I thought I'd get laid...
Down came crashing, the dreams that I'd made...

(8 yrs Onsite, somewhere in USA)
I miss my sambhar rice and the tasty thair saadam(curd rice)
Will speak to amma to find me a homely madam...
Will leave for Thirunelveli on a 30 day leave...
And come back with a maami right up my sleeve...

(Still onsite, we think)
I have two kids, but there is a gripping fear...
Both of them have no signs of being an Iyer...
Krishnaswamy & Sreemahalakshmi I named them fondly...
But Chris & Sally I call them if I want them to even reply...

(retire hogaya baap)
I am back to Thirunelveli with my ever faithful wife...
But my kids stayed there and think I don't have a life...
Tirupati, Guruvayoor, Shabarimala all we've been to...
Sun TV is our faithful friend which we always turn to...

(Now everything seems impossible)
Ayyayyo, what happened to all my dreams?
They have all simply turned into screams.
Children have already married and divorced thrice,
Playing with our grandchildren would've been nice.
Left with us are only aches and pains,
Life is full of only losses, with no gains.
Are we going to be the last of the brilliant Iyer generation?
To our children, tradition and culture are only a botheration!

Cheers

You have completely misunderstood me.:eek:

Twisted vision = his prejudiced and twisted view of the English speaking Indian. Not all such folks are similar. There exist a lot of folks with a balanced worldview of life. It depends on where you look !

There are nut cases everywhere ! Among Indians living abroad and among the Indians living in your native town street. The nuttiness is just a different version in different locations. But they are all NUTS !

I was not referring to his views about Indias glorious past and how they have been subjugated and all that. I have no arguments about that.

Last edited:
No wonder they are called Not Required Indians. 'Choose the lesser of the evils' makes me wonder what their priorities are and what they wanted in their lives. Would you rather live packed 20+ into a room in Dubai, or live a comfortable and maybe not such a prosperous life in Kerala? I am sure you will immediately say that is not an example.

Let me give you both kinds of examples. On the one side is my 'ironman' who is a king in about 6 roads near where I live. We all know him since our childhood. With just a job as simple as charging Rs.2.5 per clothe for ironing, he has sent his child to the US for studies and, sadly, a job.

Compare this with taxi drivers I met from India and Pakistan in Dubai. They drive for some 14 hours a day, seven days a week, with just one week unpaid holiday a year. They earn 700 to 1000 Dhs a month that equates to roughly Rs.13,000. They send bulk of this amount to their families. They have never seen their children grow, they do not know what their families are doing and how they are living. The bulk of their lives have been spent behind the wheel. You cannot celebrate any festivals of have a get together, as they just do not have the money.

Fly 10,000 miles and go to the US. You have a lot of immigrants who earn in 6 figures. Compare this to hordes of successful employees as well as business men who earn nearly the same amount here. I won't even give you a guess as to who lives a better life. The immigrants are completely cutting off all their links both ways. I have seen a huge number of people not even bothering when their parents and near ones were ill and needed solace. I know of a gated community in Coimbatore that is full of parents in the late sixties and early seventies. You should hear the cry for companionship they scream everyday.

My uncle also lives in Coimbatore. He has built a small house for himself slightly outside the city. In the beginning I wan wondering how he was going to live as both he and his wife are really old. What happened? His neighbours, irrespective of caste and creed, have all adopted them. They troop to his house everyday and they keep themselves busy with story telling and exchanging notes.

Trade off? If you are an immigrant in the US, when you turn 60, your children abandon you as they get into their busy lives. Even if you decide to come back to India, you live a lonely life as you cannot adjust to the local 'unclean' culture.

I think you are confusing the culture of a society with development. Neither Gobble nor I ever argued or discussed India's development or it's needs. We were discussing something else altogether.

Cheers

I think you are mixing up unnecessary topics here.

The point is that educated and sensible folks take decisions based on what their priorities are. They know the tradeoffs! Tradeoffs exist wherever you live in this world !

Nutcases make hopeless decisions wherever they are ! India or otherwise!

Trade off?

Again a broad generalization ! :mad:

I happen to know a few uncles who live abroad in their 60s. They are part of the society and well cared for. Not a problem at all. They know how to enjoy their life in that society !

And I happen to know a few uncles who live in India who are lonely and sad.

I am sure there are old uncles for whom this is vice versa !

What works for certain folks may not work for others ! They need to make the right choices when they have to depending on their priorities ;)

The uncle in your case knew what he wanted and took the right decision. Good for him. Sensible person.

Folks who go west with the sole aim of making money are generally not very happy there. If you are one with an adventurous spirit with a free mind, you can enjoy your life anywhere! Beauty and happiness is everywhere. If you are ready for it, it will come to you irrespective of the place you live in.

Last edited:
This thread has gone out of control and HFV is certainly not the place to discuss these things.

Cheers

:yahoo: Finalllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :yahoo:

time put an end to this hooooooplahhhhhhhhh and get back to some AV stuff eh seniors :rolleyes:

I agree. This thread has gone out of control and HFV is certainly not the place to discuss these things.

Cheers

@Venkat,

I would not allow a few Jack-Asses to muzzle censor or derail a thread that is an interesting debate and an opportunity for gaining new perspectives. :)

I will post when I find the time later this week.

Those who do not find it productive can keep away from this thread. Mere accusation of bias does not make anything a fact.

This debate is about why indigenous education deserves its own place in Indian society and how a subversive form of colonialism still exists in our society today (especially colonization of the mind :) ) - one that prevents this development of traditional knowledge in modern India.

And I would like it to reach a natural conclusion, rather than let a frenzied mob determine its outcome. :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Those who do not find it productive can keep away from this thread. Mere accusation of bias does not make anything a fact.

This debate is about why indigenous education deserves its own place in Indian society and how a subversive form of colonialism still exists in our society today (especially colonization of the mind :) ) - one that prevents this development of traditional knowledge in modern India.

And I would like it to reach a natural conclusion, rather than let a frenzied mob determine its outcome. :)

And I agree with this. So far, Gobble has not posted anything offensive, patently false, nor subversive, in my opinion. Reading Venkat's responses (and others as well) has made for interesting reading of viewpoints. This is a thread in the general section, so for those who don't want to read, there's always the 'Back' browser button ;-)

Accusing someone of jingoism, when all he has done is showcase facts about India's past (sometimes forgotten) is immature at best. I agree with square_wave and server that one should also look to the present and future regarding a country's development. At the same time, it is also true that most Indians do not have a sense of their own identity regarding their culture, because of centuries of foreign rule and oppression.

I see this evidence first hand, when we are unnecessarily meek (almost subservient) when we are interacting with other countries, specially in the technology field. I am not talking of humility, but a sense of no confidence, in our ideas, thinking and way of life. I see a lot of reflection in this from Gobble's posts about subversive educational policies. More on this later, once time permits.

I see this evidence first hand, when we are unnecessarily meek (almost subservient) when we are interacting with other countries, specially in the technology field. I am not talking of humility, but a sense of no confidence, in our ideas, thinking and way of life. I see a lot of reflection in this from Gobble's posts about subversive educational policies. More on this later, once time permits.

I see this day in and day out. Indeed, pathetic. Kind of, most of us Indians clam up and keep our trap shut the moment a white skin comes into the picture.

Being a communist (at heart), raise my voice against it .... but rightly said, the no-confidence in ones backyard keeps most of their traps shut ...:mad:

Gobble has been forthright, even brutally frank. I dont think thats a reason for this thread to be muzzled. On the other hand I think there has been a lot of provocation from the likes of server2349. I think putting down India and its culture is a graver offense than telling the truth about the West.

Yes there are a lot of positives that the West has which are not being spoken of here. But that is so only in a contextual perspective.

It is baffling and sad that while people come out in defense of the West; they do not find it fair to call somebody out when the homeland and its culture is being put down. Unfairly and without proper understanding, I might add.

But even then I think its all perspectives. We are all entitled to our own. And this thread is all the more richer for these variance in perspectives.

@

Cheers

It appears that Lord macaulay succeded:sad:

in British Parliament on Feb.2, 1835, he said

"I have travelled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen
one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in
this country, such high moral values, people of such calibre, that I do not
think we would ever conquer this country,

unless we break the very backbone of this nation,

which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and, therefore, I
propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her
culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good
and greater than their own, they will lose their self-esteem, their native
self-culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated
nation".

AN APPEAL TO ALL MEMBERS WHO PARTICIPATE IN THIS THREAD.

At the outset, though this thread may not be related to AV, I personally felt the discussions were of a highly intellectual nature.

If you want to participate in this thread, you are welcome. But please do not use any harsh words directly or indirectly addressing a member, or a group of members. If you had noticed, Gobble and I (and to some extent, TheVortex) had diagrammatically opposite views, but we never clashed. The is the nature and beauty of a healthy debate. if you want to participate, please do so, but with utmost civility. You can agree or disagree, that is your option. Do not address a member or group of members directly or indirectly in a foul or harsh language, and do NOT pass any judgement.

Cheers

Last edited:
It appears that Lord macaulay succeded:sad:

in British Parliament on Feb.2, 1835, he said

"I have travelled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen
one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in
this country, such high moral values, people of such calibre, that I do not
think we would ever conquer this country,

unless we break the very backbone of this nation,

which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and, therefore, I
propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her
culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good
and greater than their own, they will lose their self-esteem, their native
self-culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated
nation".

I've read the same somewhere else,
did he(macaulay) really say this, or is this a cooked up propaganda story by someone.

what he says is not entirely true, for we had thieves in our land:)
I've read about people whose profession was stealing.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back