A slacker extraordinaire's new home theatre

So looks like Amit may be right to suggest I get a sub too. Especially since I have a strong preference for deep bass lol.

The speakers bass response is good while playing at mid-high volumes but at mid-low level, like while I play music all night when I sleep, I think a dedicated sub would sweeten things.

Any suggestions for a sub?

I saw Mission MS 450 which goes as low as 25hz while many others rated down to 35hz only.
The Mission MS450 is a good sub. Not the king of articulation or punch but it's got a soft and pleasant room filling bass response that doesn't sound muddy. It's a sweet deal if you can get it sub 50K.

In my room, it digs down to 22hz and has no problem pressuring a 450 sq.ft. area.

Do remember to let it break in if you go for it - at least 15-20 hours.
I don't plan to set the sub level more than halfway, just want to hear deep clean bass, not necessarily room and bone shaking response.
Sub level depends on how sensitive your speakers are - with my 92 db speakers, the sub level remains at approx 50-60%. With lesser sensitive speakers of 84-86db, i have to dial back the sub to approx 25%. This applies to all my subwoofers.

To sum it up, you have to set the subs gain and crossover to match your speakers bass extension and loudness. Any predetermined number may not give a pleasing result.

How about the Polk HTS 12 sub? That also seems to have good specs on paper and not as power hungry as the ms450.
No idea about the polk. Im sure its a fantastic sub as well. :)

Btw, im not quite sure by what you mean when you say Power hungry. These are active subs so the power specs of your amplifier/AVR are a non-issue.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back