A Television from USA

jagdish_p

Hi all,
I came across an advertisement for sale of a 12 month old US model of Sony KDL-52W4100 negotiated to 1.25 lacs .
It needs a separate external Voltage converter and a PAL to NTSC converter.

Is it a good buy?

My Concerns.
1) A voltage converter will still supply 50 Hz against the TVs requirement of 60 Hz? Will this effect the image?
2) I plan to view cable a lot which is a weak signal. Will the routing through the PAL to NTSC converter degrade it further?
Thanks

Most of my gadgets are 120v and I use step down transformer along with power conditioner. Please see my signature section for the details. I have hooked up Samsung TV that I bought here through this power conditioner and I face no issue.

PAL to NTSC converter is tricky unless you watch the actual source material and make sure it is fine by you.

Your source should at least give output through component video to see decent image in HD TV. Otherwise it looks bad IMHO. I had Airtel with just video out and it looks totally washed out. When I switched to tata sky + that have comp video, the picture quality of many channels is very good.

Pal to NTSC conversion will be a problem. with a 52" TV, the picture quality will look absolutely washed out and you will see a lot of artifacts. You may regret the purchase.

voltage should not be a problem as all sony tvs are 110-240V. My suggestion is to see normal cable on the TV and decide for yourself.

Regards
Manumani

Most of my gadgets are 120v and I use step down transformer along with power conditioner. Please see my signature section for the details. I have hooked up Samsung TV that I bought here through this power conditioner and I face no issue.

You do not need to connect the ps3 through the step down transformer. I have a 60GB US version, and it works fine when connected directly to the mains. Even though it is not written at the back of the ps3, all ps3s are 110-240V. They do not list it at the back to discourage people from buying it in one region, where it is cheaper and bringing it to another country.

I have one question. Have you bought and used a ps3 game in India (PAL version), on your ps3 ? I suspect that if you have a hdtv, it should not matter, but I haven't tried it yet.

Regards
Manumani

I have one question. Have you bought and used a ps3 game in India (PAL version), on your ps3 ? I suspect that if you have a hdtv, it should not matter, but I haven't tried it yet.

Regards
Manumani

Yes, that should work as games at the moment are region-free.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back