BUYING DIRECT FROM USA Schiit.com Customs and Import Duties 2020

A very informative post.
i just ordered a spray gun from UK and is shipped through DHL. I too will try keep an update on the amount of customs duty that i will have to pay. ( though its a bit off topic)

A very informative post.
i just ordered a spray gun from UK and is shipped through DHL. I too will try keep an update on the amount of customs duty that i will have to pay. ( though its a bit off topic)
Any duty is useful info. We can add it to trend the data.

I've been on the look out for some elusive Schiit gear.
They have been out of stock for quite a while now with their authorised Indian Reseller headphone zone (HPZ) and unlikely to be restocked anytime soon due to supply chain issues owing to the pandemic.

Seeing as they are so rare to come up on pre-owned Sale By Owner threads also, I wanted to try buying them direct from Schiit.com USA

I searched everywhere for concrete breakup of whats the likely premium we would be expected to shell out in case we buy direct from the US website. But I was unable to find any actual figures anywhere, and mostly scary approximations such as 'flat 75% on total rate- including shipping' which was discouraging and I was in the brink of joining the sidelines as we are doomed to expect buying anything direct here into India. There were also doubts floating around whether we need an import export code or a GSTIN number. Again, I went in circles and couldn't find answers in terms of actual numbers.

I went ahead and ordered and have received the item. I would like to share my experience (with actual cost numbers) to help others who may be looking out to buy direct from USA ( schiit.com or any other website )

Note: These are my personal experience and reflect actual present rates as of Sep 20 and I do not know how they will fluctuate up or down in the future. But this will help you give some numbers and to evaluate IF you want to bite the bait at all.

What I wanted to buy?
Schiit Mani Phono Preamp and
Schiit Modi 3 DAC

Both of these gear are worth their asking price and are considered as very good value for their segment. I personally felt it was worth the trouble to buy direct.

What's the retail cost price at schiit.com ? (BASELINE COST)

View attachment 49921
This will be our baseline for all calculations. I have taken the rate of conversion at 73.65 INR to dollar and have maintained it in all calculations. This was what I was charged in my credit card including brokerage.
The only way you can get it at this price is if you or someone you know visits the California store SCHIITR and picks it up by hand, carries it with them and drops it at home to you here in India. If you can do that, please do, you will save big bucks. Stop reading further.

I don't have friends/family in US. But have someone in EU. Whats the difference if I buy from Europe?

The schiit europe store has also been facing supply issues but are better placed in terms of stock dispatched to them compared to India. Both the items I want are now in stock . Website schiit.co.uk is the reseller and if you have anyone in EU, this below table shows what you pay using cheapest postal service Royal Mail/ UPS to deliver to their EU address.

View attachment 49923

I have used GBP conversion at 94.01 INR per pound. So you would be paying 10,047 INR extra for landed at the EU address (compared to the baseline cost) This means you pay 60% premium over baseline cost.

What if I don't mind waiting for HPZ India to restock?

If you're not in a hurry and would be willing to wait. This is what you pay.

View attachment 49924

This is the simplest and most straight forward method to buy schiit. Please wait and buy. It would be landed at your doorstep at INR 25998/- Please note that you would still be effectively paying 55% premium over baseline cost, anyway. So import (or buying direct from USA) should actually be compared against this in your mind. This is my number to match as close as possible as I set out to buy direct from USA.
Note: The EU guys pay more than Indians to enjoy schiit landed at doorstep. Kudos to HPZ for making it available to us at nett premium lesser than UK.

I'm a ready to bite the bullet. Lets buy direct from USA.

I was charged a customs duty of INR 8865/- total. Thats a nett 57.9% of the invoice value. This is a good number to play with for your calculations if you intend to buy anything.

---> Beauty of B-Stock Consider B-Stock and Closeouts
If you are not very particular about 'fresh piece' purchase and are looking to save some money since you're already biting the bullet, I recommend considering their B stock page. It has some good savings now and then and the saving would get compounded when customs is applied on the lower invoice price. I found a 20$ discount on a B stock Mani. I took it. It saved me 20$ and customs on it nett about 31$ or INR 2406/- on our conversion rate. All standard warranties are applicable on B-Stock so its okay for me.

View attachment 49925

I ended up landing it at INR 28227/- to my doorstep. Compared against INR 25998/- I would've paid if I could wait for HPZ to restock. Ive paid an opportunity cost of INR 2280/- to have these items here and now. Which Im okay with. You can decide based on your use case.

I used Fedex International Economy which cost me $55 (INR 4k) approx. Note: This rate is fixed by weight/volume for upto two small schiit boxes (Mani and Modi for this case), so you would end up saving if you buy two items together. Or plan to combine your purchase with a friend and share the spoils. If you order a third item postage shoots to 86$ and skews the metrics. Recalculate accordingly.

Fedex was good and I could track the package on an hourly basis. They did the customs and all the clearances. All I had to do was reply to their email
1.When they picked up the package from USA, they sent me a mail asking for my id proof (aadhar) upload. I did that and thats it.
2. Once the customs cleared it here in India, I got a second email with an invoice which I had to pay the duties online. Thats it, it was delivered home safe and sound in 8 days flat.
View attachment 49926

This is still expensive. Im a maverick with risk appetite. Can i undercut your model and undercut HPZ for thrills?

Yes.you can. Choose the USPS ( United States Postal Service ) , Somewhat trackable till the parcel leaves US. But items not insured like Fedex. The item would be handed over to India Post in India who would then attempt to deliver to you. If you're a maverick, you could try this.
Note these two points though.

1. The shipping cost is half of what you pay for fedex. So would give you upfront savings about 2k.

2. The second possible advantage, (NOT VERIFIED ) is that you MAY, if you're lucky probably escape customs duties because its coming through India Post and a small parcel may get through without levy.
I don't recommend or support this but this is based on what I've read online alone. The USPS and India Post mafia also takes infinite number of days with your uninsured, untrackable high value items floating around in the ether.

This customs procedure is unlike Fedex which voluntarily submits the package for customs checks compulsorily the day it lands in India.

Great, So do I order everything direct then, its just a wee bit expensive?

Use my case study to assess your particular requirements. For example, if you wanted to order only one item, and you didn't find/want B-stock.Then you see you pay even more premium than HPZ.

View attachment 49927

Any other points you forgot to mention?

Fedex charges a handling brokerage charge to do the customs clearance for you. Additionally, it charges COVID surcharge because they are providing this service during the COVID pandemic. This is included in the customs duties invoice they charge you. So note this may go down or up in future, but has been factored in the invoice. You will pay nothing more.

Why are you doing this. Looks like a lot of effort to make tables?
I have learnt a lot of things from this forum and have benefitted from the time and selfless advice of many FMs here. This is my little way of paying it forward. I wish I had this clarity before jumping on the direct import route for the first time to boos my confidence. I hope this helps others.

Thanks

Vish.
Thank you for this. Appreciate the effort you have put in. Great work! Enjoy your purchase. Happy Listening!

Did anyone lately do any purchase from USA Schiit.com?

Planning to get a Bifrost 2. Would appreciate any update on latest custom duty etc.

Would request anyone else purchasing direct to report the customs duties paid on their product here. This would help others looking out to do the same and we can trend the duties
Recently I imported a volume control IC from Finland for my arcam amplifier.
I don't know how they calculated the custom duty but ended up with more than product cost.

Break up:-

Ics(2no) - 3200
Shipping (TNT) - 4000
Custom duty - 3750

After this decided not to import anything in future

Recently I imported a volume control IC from Finland for my arcam amplifier.
I don't know how they calculated the custom duty but ended up with more than product cost.

Break up:-

Ics(2no) - 3200
Shipping (TNT) - 4000
Custom duty - 3750

After this decided not to import anything in future
Keep in mind that customs is charged for (product + shipping) cost..
In your case it would be charged for Rs. 7200

Keep in mind that customs is charged for (product + shipping) cost..
In your case it would be charged for Rs. 7200
Yes I agree. But I don't think it's fair to charge like this.
TNT also charged 4000/- for a package weights lesser than 50gms.

:) the joy and the pain, was restricted to audio and cycle gear, now extends to tyres for two wheelers too.

for sheer fun try getting 1.7i.

oh the Fx conversion increases the joys further too

yay me !

ciao
gr

Received delivery of a Lifatec optical cable today from US. Delivered in 21 days.
On product+shipping cost, 11% Customs duty (inc surcharge) + 28% IGST. So about 40% overall.

Duties.jpg

Now the problem is, I ordered for Toslink connection for both ends, but they've sent one with a miniplug on one end :mad:

Product.jpg

According to their terms and conditions, in case of replacement, shipping cost will be on me.
May be its better to get something like this:

This is the only option I could see. Amazon delivery in 1 week, hopefully that will happen. If anyone has any other suggestion please let me know

I've been on the look out for some elusive Schiit gear.
They have been out of stock for quite a while now with their authorised Indian Reseller headphone zone (HPZ) and unlikely to be restocked anytime soon due to supply chain issues owing to the pandemic.

Seeing as they are so rare to come up on pre-owned Sale By Owner threads also, I wanted to try buying them direct from Schiit.com USA

I searched everywhere for concrete breakup of whats the likely premium we would be expected to shell out in case we buy direct from the US website. But I was unable to find any actual figures anywhere, and mostly scary approximations such as 'flat 75% on total rate- including shipping' which was discouraging and I was in the brink of joining the sidelines as we are doomed to expect buying anything direct here into India. There were also doubts floating around whether we need an import export code or a GSTIN number. Again, I went in circles and couldn't find answers in terms of actual numbers.

I went ahead and ordered and have received the item. I would like to share my experience (with actual cost numbers) to help others who may be looking out to buy direct from USA ( schiit.com or any other website )

Note: These are my personal experience and reflect actual present rates as of Sep 20 and I do not know how they will fluctuate up or down in the future. But this will help you give some numbers and to evaluate IF you want to bite the bait at all.

What I wanted to buy?
Schiit Mani Phono Preamp and
Schiit Modi 3 DAC

Both of these gear are worth their asking price and are considered as very good value for their segment. I personally felt it was worth the trouble to buy direct.

What's the retail cost price at schiit.com ? (BASELINE COST)

View attachment 49921
This will be our baseline for all calculations. I have taken the rate of conversion at 73.65 INR to dollar and have maintained it in all calculations. This was what I was charged in my credit card including brokerage.
The only way you can get it at this price is if you or someone you know visits the California store SCHIITR and picks it up by hand, carries it with them and drops it at home to you here in India. If you can do that, please do, you will save big bucks. Stop reading further.

I don't have friends/family in US. But have someone in EU. Whats the difference if I buy from Europe?

The schiit europe store has also been facing supply issues but are better placed in terms of stock dispatched to them compared to India. Both the items I want are now in stock . Website schiit.co.uk is the reseller and if you have anyone in EU, this below table shows what you pay using cheapest postal service Royal Mail/ UPS to deliver to their EU address.

View attachment 49923

I have used GBP conversion at 94.01 INR per pound. So you would be paying 10,047 INR extra for landed at the EU address (compared to the baseline cost) This means you pay 60% premium over baseline cost.

What if I don't mind waiting for HPZ India to restock?

If you're not in a hurry and would be willing to wait. This is what you pay.

View attachment 49924

This is the simplest and most straight forward method to buy schiit. Please wait and buy. It would be landed at your doorstep at INR 25998/- Please note that you would still be effectively paying 55% premium over baseline cost, anyway. So import (or buying direct from USA) should actually be compared against this in your mind. This is my number to match as close as possible as I set out to buy direct from USA.
Note: The EU guys pay more than Indians to enjoy schiit landed at doorstep. Kudos to HPZ for making it available to us at nett premium lesser than UK.

I'm a ready to bite the bullet. Lets buy direct from USA.

I was charged a customs duty of INR 8865/- total. Thats a nett 57.9% of the invoice value. This is a good number to play with for your calculations if you intend to buy anything.

---> Beauty of B-Stock Consider B-Stock and Closeouts
If you are not very particular about 'fresh piece' purchase and are looking to save some money since you're already biting the bullet, I recommend considering their B stock page. It has some good savings now and then and the saving would get compounded when customs is applied on the lower invoice price. I found a 20$ discount on a B stock Mani. I took it. It saved me 20$ and customs on it nett about 31$ or INR 2406/- on our conversion rate. All standard warranties are applicable on B-Stock so its okay for me.

View attachment 49925

I ended up landing it at INR 28227/- to my doorstep. Compared against INR 25998/- I would've paid if I could wait for HPZ to restock. Ive paid an opportunity cost of INR 2280/- to have these items here and now. Which Im okay with. You can decide based on your use case.

I used Fedex International Economy which cost me $55 (INR 4k) approx. Note: This rate is fixed by weight/volume for upto two small schiit boxes (Mani and Modi for this case), so you would end up saving if you buy two items together. Or plan to combine your purchase with a friend and share the spoils. If you order a third item postage shoots to 86$ and skews the metrics. Recalculate accordingly.

Fedex was good and I could track the package on an hourly basis. They did the customs and all the clearances. All I had to do was reply to their email
1.When they picked up the package from USA, they sent me a mail asking for my id proof (aadhar) upload. I did that and thats it.
2. Once the customs cleared it here in India, I got a second email with an invoice which I had to pay the duties online. Thats it, it was delivered home safe and sound in 8 days flat.
View attachment 49926

This is still expensive. Im a maverick with risk appetite. Can i undercut your model and undercut HPZ for thrills?

Yes.you can. Choose the USPS ( United States Postal Service ) , Somewhat trackable till the parcel leaves US. But items not insured like Fedex. The item would be handed over to India Post in India who would then attempt to deliver to you. If you're a maverick, you could try this.
Note these two points though.

1. The shipping cost is half of what you pay for fedex. So would give you upfront savings about 2k.

2. The second possible advantage, (NOT VERIFIED ) is that you MAY, if you're lucky probably escape customs duties because its coming through India Post and a small parcel may get through without levy.
I don't recommend or support this but this is based on what I've read online alone. The USPS and India Post mafia also takes infinite number of days with your uninsured, untrackable high value items floating around in the ether.

This customs procedure is unlike Fedex which voluntarily submits the package for customs checks compulsorily the day it lands in India.

Great, So do I order everything direct then, its just a wee bit expensive?

Use my case study to assess your particular requirements. For example, if you wanted to order only one item, and you didn't find/want B-stock.Then you see you pay even more premium than HPZ.

View attachment 49927

Any other points you forgot to mention?

Fedex charges a handling brokerage charge to do the customs clearance for you. Additionally, it charges COVID surcharge because they are providing this service during the COVID pandemic. This is included in the customs duties invoice they charge you. So note this may go down or up in future, but has been factored in the invoice. You will pay nothing more.

Why are you doing this. Looks like a lot of effort to make tables?
I have learnt a lot of things from this forum and have benefitted from the time and selfless advice of many FMs here. This is my little way of paying it forward. I wish I had this clarity before jumping on the direct import route for the first time to boos my confidence. I hope this helps others.

Thanks

Vish.
Truly appreciate the meticulous effort for sharing this information. Many thanks!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back