"A TUESDAY" - Starring FM Prem, EMT 950, Thoress EHT and JBL 4343

Fiftyfifty

Music needs to be experienced, not just heard - that's the big takeaway for me after listening to Prem's set up earlier this week. I don't want to go into the sq characteristics - how deep was the bass, how good was the imaging or how natural were the instruments. Irrespective of where you stood in the room, there were 'live' musicians playing from the general direction of the equipment.

I have had the privilege of spending decades listening to live music and assisting bands set up on stage. And I have had the privilege of listening to systems costing upwards of USD 200K in dedicated listening rooms. Nowhere have I heard such a complete presentation of the music. Albums from a variety of genres, from Bollywood to Rock to Indian Classical to Western Classical, conveyed the same lush, natural and live atmosphere. The background vocals by Ladysmith B M on Paul Simon's Graceland, the rub of Zakir's left hand heel on the Bayan in 'Making Music', the crispness of the conversation between Dilip Kumar and Amitabh on the Shakti soundtrack - all brought out the beautiful tonal balance and the feeling of being 'right there'! And all the while, the deep deep bass from the 15 inchers that go so so deep without sounding artificially tight or thumpy! It is magical and incredible, leaving you in a daze.

All that I can recommend is that, if you desire to set a direction in which this hobby should take you, or if you just wish to immerse yourself into a world of good sound, plan a trip to Prem's place in Mumbai, it will be worth every mile travelled.

PS - An equally outstanding feature of my visit to Prem's place was his gracious hospitality. We spent a good 5 hours that evening despite his busy schedule. The warmth of his company, his depth of knowledge and the intensity of his passion for music added to the perfection of the overall experience.

Great and shortest review ever on Prem system... Yes we all know Prem's passion on music and the money for upgrade he spent is worthy and moreover in right direction .. No wonder he could bring the musicians live thru his setup.

Regards

Music needs to be experienced, not just heard - that's the big takeaway for me after listening to Prem's set up earlier this week. I don't want to go into the sq characteristics - how deep was the bass, how good was the imaging or how natural were the instruments. Irrespective of where you stood in the room, there were 'live' musicians playing from the general direction of the equipment.
Lovely name for a thread :D

I have had several visits to prem over the last so many "ears" and even from the days he had Digital+Rethm amps and speakers I have always marveled at his setup in a room anyone else would consider a nightmare to work with , and still the sound about as real sounding as it can..

The proof that well chosen equipment + room all work as one system is far greater than the sum of individual equipment .

Jls001, the 15 watt Thoress surprisingly puts out even better bass than any of the previous amps I have used with the JBL.

Ah, what a beautiful write up. This justifies the audio experience.

During my multiple visits to Prem's place on business trips, the late evening sessions are to cherish for. To supplement, his way of understanding music and elucidating the same to a non-audiophile like me is truly unputdownable.

Look forward to listen to Thoress on my next trip Prem. And above all, his warm hospitality touches the heart..

Great write-up, as always, 50/50!

Having followed Prem’s posts over the years, it’s quite clear that he’s someone who wants to get to the soul of the music. I feel that, for him, the equipment is just a means to that end; not an end in itself.
Judging by your beautifully articulated experience, it’s obvious that Prem has an ear for real music. As do you!

I should seriously start planning a trip to B’bay, and Goa :)

Prem's 15 inch woofers

In the immortal words of OK sabun, “Sachmuch, kafi bada hai!” :)

Great write-up, as always, 50/50!

Having followed Prem’s posts over the years, it’s quite clear that he’s someone who wants to get to the soul of the music. I feel that, for him, the equipment is just a means to that end; not an end in itself.
Judging by your beautifully articulated experience, it’s obvious that Prem has an ear for real music. As do you!

I should seriously start planning a trip to B’bay, and Goa :)

In the immortal words of OK sabun, “Sachmuch, kafi bada hai!” :)
Thanks @coaltrain , it will be a pleasure to have you come to Goa - for a drink and some live jazz, but for home audio, there's no place like Prem's :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in Mumbai at the same time Fiftyfifty visited Prem.
In fact, after checking my notes, I happened to visit on the Thursday after!

It was a relatively short visit but what a fantastic session it was.

Prem cued up Jagjit Singh & Gulzar to get things started - Zindagi Kya Hai and then Aap Agar In Dinon Yahan Hote. Jagjit SIngh's voice was just unbelievably lifelike and present in the room. This was followed by Shreya Ghoshal's Mohe Rang Do Laal. Again just fabulous on the vocals but I couldn't help but observe that the bass on the music was a little lacking. Still the vocal range and presence was stunning. Prem and I discussed this later. Turned out that the sound had not yet opened up and of course the recording itself was exactly what it was.

Prem then played a gem of an album - Paul Simon's Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes (Graceland). Those familiar with this album will know that Paul Simon had featured singers from South Africa who are just incredible in their range and intonation. Hearing their singing through the JBLs was a real treat. As good as this was, the best song for me was Dave Brubeck's Take Five. This is just an amazing number which almost everyone on here must be familiar with. Joe Morello's drumming at the crescendo of the song is something to be heard on Prem's setup. Absolutely visceral. The massive attacks on the snare drum and clash of cymbals were so sharp yet so natural and easy on the ears. This was easily one of the best listening I've had of Take Five anywhere. After that we listened to some of Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue which came on like a soothing balm after the earlier onslaught.

Prem then cued up the Shalimar soundtrack from which we listened to Usha Uthup's One Two Cha Cha Cha and Kishore Kumar's Hum Bewafa. These songs are etched in our memories and listening to them in a setup with this scale was an absolute delight. There are sounds of instruments and "special effects" which you hear in a completely new way when you listen on Prem's setup. If you listen to these songs on Youtube you are most likely to get a blurred out sound. Not so in Prem's setup. The EMT just seems to dig deeper into the vinyl to reveal detail and texture in spades.

I have been listening to Prem's setups for a couple of years now and I have to say it's amazing how much he knows about music and audio in general. I would have been more than happy with whatever he has had in his room in the past but Prem keeps constantly pushing the envelope. His recent move to the Thoress amp is something so typical of Prem. His move to the JBL speakers are another amazing addition. They just sound right and absolutely marvelous with whatever is thrown at them.

I can easily vouch for the sound at Prem's room as being one of the best I've heard anywhere. Put simply this is a tremendous setup which has been put together by a guy who has been around the music scene for a long time. If you are lucky enough to get an invite to listen his setup just grab it. You will not be disappointed.

Systems can be tuned only to the finest level only some knowledgable visiting members who are willing to comment openly... If they just visit and praise the system and leave we cannot climb the next step.. Glad that Nikhil could put his observation upfront. Here we have Rajiv and other few members in chennai who gladly help others to climb the ladder.

Systems can be tuned only to the finest level only some knowledgable visiting members who are willing to comment openly... If they just visit and praise the system and leave we cannot climb the next step.. Glad that Nikhil could put his observation upfront. Here we have Rajiv and other few members in chennai who gladly help others to climb the ladder.
+1 to this. @prem have been very generous to visit on most occassions driving 30+ km on a weekend only to review my DIY speaker and give his critical reviews. He may sound very critical about how they sound, but those inputs have helped me always to climb one or two steps in the ladder. Other FMs who have given critical reviews are ex-FM @mpw, @jls001, @bhagwan, @audipro to name a few. A big thank you to all of them is the least I can say.🙏🙏

My current OB speakers project which started around 2018 is not yet listened by any FM till date. Thanks to the pandemic, listening sessions have stopped compltely. I don't know even today if I have completed my build after 3.5+ years, but nevertheless Prem and @captrajesh have a plan for critical review later in the year.

Last edited:
Great and shortest review ever on Prem system... Yes we all know Prem's passion on music and the money for upgrade he spent is worthy and moreover in right direction .. No wonder he could bring the musicians live thru his setup.

Regards
sir
if possible plz share photos for altec a7 speakers
very excited

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back