A/V Receivers with HDMI pass-through function?

jain1980

Any budget A/V receivers below 30K which has the HDMI pass-through function so that I can use the TV for the sound even if the receiver is off ?

Yamaha 473 has this feature and you may get it for around 30K. I too had researched about this feature as one of the 'must haves' while finalizing my AVR, but till date have not used it!

My Tatasky is connected to the TV via HDMI and to the AVR via an optical cable. This would give me regular stereo sound via HDMI while watching standard programming without the AVR being swiched on. If the AVR is switched on, I can get the 5.1 sound on HD channels via the optical through the AVR. I've never come across a scenario where I have had to keep the AVR switched on for regular tv watching.

IMHO buy receivers based on major functionality....not the minor ones.

Well for me its a very important function for my HT setup. I am planning to set up my HT in my living room where our whole family watches TV and they are not technical enough to switch ON the receiver everytime to change the HDMI setting from my Tata Sky to a Blu Ray player or vice versa. I will be switching ON the receiver only when I am there and using to watch movies.

Or is there any other simple way to make this work?

Yamaha 473 has this feature and you may get it for around 30K. I too had researched about this feature as one of the 'must haves' while finalizing my AVR, but till date have not used it!

My Tatasky is connected to the TV via HDMI and to the AVR via an optical cable. This would give me regular stereo sound via HDMI while watching standard programming without the AVR being swiched on. If the AVR is switched on, I can get the 5.1 sound on HD channels via the optical through the AVR. I've never come across a scenario where I have had to keep the AVR switched on for regular tv watching.

Thanks..I will check out this model..By the way, if I let go the HDMI pass through feature, which of the budget receivers from Yamaha or Pioneer sounds best with Music as well as movies?

Well for me its a very important function for my HT setup. I am planning to set up my HT in my living room where our whole family watches TV and they are not technical enough to switch ON the receiver everytime to change the HDMI setting from my Tata Sky to a Blu Ray player or vice versa. I will be switching ON the receiver only when I am there and using to watch movies.

Or is there any other simple way to make this work?

If your TV supports multiple HDMI inputs, connect your set top box directly to the TV via HDMI and to the AVR via optical. That should solve your problem. I've done exactly that and my family can watch regular TV without switching on the AVR.

right,That should solve your problem. I've done exactly that and my family can watch regular TV without switching on the AVR.
SShln1

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back