A very interesting podcast on Subwoofers

Very interesting. One of the things that I agree is about is the realism of the music. The lower frequencies give you the idea of the room sizes and if that is reproduced accurately it makes the recording sound real.

The other takeaway is that the wavelenghts of the low frequency is very large and will interfere with your room by reflecting a lot. If the subwoofer is further away compared to your main speakers from the listening position, the time at which the low frequency reflections will hit your ear will be later and will muddy the sound. In my case the subwoofer is further away from my listening position. If I have to bring it closer, it will absolutely make the room look ugly. So I have to figure out a way to push my floorstanders further away. This means I have to experiment and try things out. I also have allo piano 2.1 dac which has DSP and gives a high pass and low pass filter so that I can feed my main amp (connected to foor standers) with music above a certain frequency and direct all lower frequency to the subwoofer alone.

EDIT: What interested me is this product that can help split the audio signal before the amplifier

Last edited:
One observation made at 1:35:54 which he made, I have exactly the same observation personally. I have found the speakers, the amp, preamp and the subwoofer playing a larger role than DACs in how I enjoy my music.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back