A western classical collector from Kolkata

pindranil

Hi all,

My first post on this forum…although I have gone through threads often enough. I listen mostly to Western Classical and have a sizeable collection of CDs and a smaller number of LPs. Looking forward to my first new TT…either a Direct Drive one (Technics SL-1200G/GR) or a PTP next year.

My system is modest - Marantz 8005 series Network Player and Amp and a 6005 CD player with Concept 20 speakers and a Yamaha subwoofer.

cheers,
ip

Hi all,

My first post on this forum…although I have gone through threads often enough. I listen mostly to Western Classical and have a sizeable collection of CDs and a smaller number of LPs. Looking forward to my first new TT…either a Direct Drive one (Technics SL-1200G/GR) or a PTP next year.

My system is modest - Marantz 8005 series Network Player and Amp and a 6005 CD player with Concept 20 speakers and a Yamaha subwoofer.

cheers,
ip
Very nice system

Hi all,

cheers,
ip

Hello,
Welcome to the forum. Good to see another Kolkata person here.
You choice of genre is interesting. Would like to know more about your LPs and CDs.

Regards,
Bhaskar

Hi all,

cheers,
ip
I'd say you're being too modest about your system. Welcome aboard.

Hello,
Welcome to the forum. Good to see another Kolkata person here.
You choice of genre is interesting. Would like to know more about your LPs and CDs.

Regards,
Bhaskar
Hi Bhaskar,

Great to be here. To be honest, I am something of a nut case as my CD collection is approaching 15,000 with about 1700 LPs. Almost 95% of my collection is Western Classical. In the pre-COVID times, I also ran a monthly Listeners’ Club at the Calcutta School of Music. Ran that for over 12 years now. I have pretty much Th entire classical repertoire in my collection and I have made British Romantic Music from Parry and Elgar as my area of special interest along with Czech music.

of late I have been listening to the complete Beethoven string quartets in multiple versions. And also over the past year dipped my feet into World Music and Jazz. So Afro-Cuban music like the Buena Vista Social Club and the like. Enjoying a lot of Kora music as well as part of the griot tradition of Mali and The Gambia (Diabate, Sona Jobarteh, etc. as well as Ali Farka Touré of course though he comes from another tradition).

Most of my classical stuff comes from online purchases as well as second hand trawls during overseas work trips. A friend has lent me a couple of second hand record players a JVC LA-31, and a Sansui which I later gave away (he has 2 sl-1200s and a Pioneer PLX-1000). I am listening via a second hand Shure M80E cartridge which is surprisingly good and the Schiit Mani phono box. I have still not figured out if the Mani is superior to the inbuilt phono card in the PM8005. After over 100 hours of active listenin….hoping to keep trying!

Meanwhile, this is my first real RSD experience. Never really bought anything as not much classical was on offer. Have ordered some on Juno (Jazz and OSTs) and TRC (Jazz).

Have tons to write and share and learn of course from fellow FM. Great to be here.

regards,
IP

Please share your favourites…would love to know. And should posts about music be in a separate group?
I am a beginner/novice compared to you :)

I was recently exploring the Baroque composers - Corelli, Telemman, not to mention the more well known ones Bach, Handel and Vivaldi (specifically his concertos for violin).

There is a section for music -

There are a few threads specifically on Western Classical too -

Hi all,

cheers,
ip
Welcome to the forum. There are quite a number of western classical listeners on board.

I am a beginner/novice compared to you :)

I was recently exploring the Baroque composers - Corelli, Telemman, not to mention the more well known ones Bach, Handel and Vivaldi (specifically his concertos for violin).

There is a section for music -

There are a few threads specifically on Western Classical too -

Thanks a ton for these…the cello repertoire is fascinating in this age. Try and listen to the Vivaldi cello sonatas as also his bassoon concertos (he wrote 27 of them). And if vocal music is your thing then this age is golden. That is where all the great composers of this era found inspiration (for Bach and Vivaldi it was the Church, while Handel was principally a man of the theatre). Of course the 6 cello suites of Bach are just beyond greatness.

Thanks a ton for these…the cello repertoire is fascinating in this age. Try and listen to the Vivaldi cello sonatas as also his bassoon concertos (he wrote 27 of them). And if vocal music is your thing then this age is golden. That is where all the great composers of this era found inspiration (for Bach and Vivaldi it was the Church, while Handel was principally a man of the theatre). Of course the 6 cello suites of Bach are just beyond greatness.
Thanks for the recommendations. Bach's Cello Suites are an old favourite.

If you get a chance do watch a documentary on some of the inspirations behind Vivaldi's compositions and how his works were lost and rediscovered. https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/now-hear-this-about/9810/ It's part of a series and I especially liked the the parts where the presenter talks about how Vivaldi used the sounds of the Italian countryside in the Four Seasons.

I've also started discovering Haydn and was reading about his life (Jan Swafford's The Vintage Guide to Classical Music has a section on him). Yet to listen more closely to him.

@pindranil

15000 cds and 1700 lps!!!

Ummm
Any tips for us folks on how to pacify the home ministry??

On a serious note. That is seriously a H U G E collection. Looking forward to more posts regarding the music in your collection.

And welcome aboard.

Regards

@pindranil

15000 cds and 1700 lps!!!

Ummm
Any tips for us folks on how to pacify the home ministry??

On a serious note. That is seriously a H U G E collection. Looking forward to more posts regarding the music in your collection.

And welcome aboard.

Regards
Hi it has not been a easy journey to be sure. And an extra studio apartment has not solved any problem, just provided more space to fill. Since my wife, my daughter and I have all different music tastes…it adds to the conundrum. I am into almost every repertoire of western classical music except possibly organ music after Bach, which to my ears, depends on the sound of the organ itself to be appreciated fully.

Thanks for the recommendations. Bach's Cello Suites are an old favourite.

If you get a chance do watch a documentary on some of the inspirations behind Vivaldi's compositions and how his works were lost and rediscovered. https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/now-hear-this-about/9810/ It's part of a series and I especially liked the the parts where the presenter talks about how Vivaldi used the sounds of the Italian countryside in the Four Seasons.

I've also started discovering Haydn and was reading about his life (Jan Swafford's The Vintage Guide to Classical Music has a section on him). Yet to listen more closely to him.
This looks interesting…thanks again. You will love Haydn…he is an obsession for me. As you may read he is called the Father of the modern symphony (he wrote 107 of them of which 104 are numbered) and I have all cycles recorded thus far (a cycle typically takes 33 CDs)…Maerzendorfer on Scribendum and Dorati on Decca, the pioneers of course, the Naxos cycle, Adam Fischer on Nimbus, the period instruments cycle cobbled together on Decca mostly under Hogwood and the Dennis Russell Davies one. What is important about this genre is that Haydn traces the movement in music from classical (and it’s emphasis on form) through what is called the Sturm und Drang (Storm and Stress where feeling threatened to overcome form) and the late works written for an orchestra that we recognise today. The late works start with the “Paris” set (82 to 87) written for performance by a standing orchestra with over 40 string players in Paris. And of course the final 12, the so called “London” set, written at the invitation of the London-based impresario Salomon…all of which you will find in the book you are reading)…

There is so much to write about Haydn but suffice to say that Haydn was Beethoven’s role model when he started composing his symphonies. He was the bridge that led to Romantic movement in music.

IP

I also ran a monthly Listeners’ Club at the Calcutta School of Music. Ran that for over 12 years no
Wow, what a great service that is! Such clubs are really needed to enhance our understanding and appreciation of music, especially the classical versions.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back