Acoustic Advice for my 5.1.4 Room Theatre

Kartiknibjiya

Hi friends,

I am setting up a 5.1.4 home theatre in a dedicated room in my new flat with Dolby Atmos.

Room layout is attached alongwith this post
Room size is 14.5ft x 10.5ft and height till false ceiling is 8.5ft.
Screen will be on wall measuring 10.5ft.

On this 10.5ft wall, 7.75ft x 4ft window is also there, that why I am going for motorised screen. Screen and front floor standing speakers will come in front of this window and centre speaker below screen. My purpose for home theatre is for viewing 70% movies or live sports screening and rest 30% music.

Speaker system will be PSB X2 T - Floor Standing TOWER (PAIR)
PSB XC - CENTER
PSB XB - REAR SPEAKERS (PAIR)
PSB SUB 200
PSB CW 80 R (2 PAIRs) In Ceiling

I want to setup floor carpet matt and acoustics wall panels for getting the best sound.

Please advice me on the same.

How should i go about to get the best sound experience ? I also want a good aesthically looking room.. Do I need Complete Absorbption in the room with Bass Trappers / partial Diffusion etc etc..

One of the acoustic consultant told me that only absorption will be required for your home theatre room as your room is not long enough but just 14.5ft. So he said 2" absorption with glasswool covered with foam covered with fabric will do fine. Is it true ?

Regards
Kartik

Attachments

• Home theatre room plan.jpg
    Home theatre room plan.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 226
Can you flip the room 180-degrees, so that the large window is behind you rather than in front of you?

First advise would be to block the window. Everything else, would be incidental.
Also, if screen is against the window wont the sunlight make it difficult (unless darkened).

Pure absorption wont work esp. with 2" panels.

Dont know too much, but the standard options are
1. Bass traps in the corners.
2. Diffusors at the back wall
3. Not sure how the 10 sound sources would react in a room of this size so not sure if the typical absorption panels at first reflection will make sense.
4. Thick carpet for the floor

Normally, people would recommend ceiling absorption but they tend to make it expensive. Same with side walls at he first reflection but not sure how it works in an atmos setup.

Window is getting blocked by default using thick curtains, thats for sure

Bass traps are coming on rear wall

Carpet is coming on floor

Other than this, my query is that whether diffusion is needed in back wall ??

Also one of the acoustic consultant said we will do absorption in whole room as it is lengthwise not big enough, so diffusion not needed, is it true??

While another said, we wil do absorption in only reflection points and corners and not the whole room..

So 2 different opinions and hence i am confused ... friends plz give your advice

Also one of the acoustic consultant said we will do absorption in whole room as it is lengthwise not big enough, so diffusion not needed, is it true??

While another said, we wil do absorption in only reflection points and corners and not the whole room..

So 2 different opinions and hence i am confused ... friends plz give your advice

If you plan to add 4 inch thick panel as bass trap, then it is waste of time and money. I learned this in wasting my time and money.
Super chunk (at least 2 feet depth and 1.5 feet wide ) will really work but it ill not do nothing under 100hz and it ill take more space also.I have added super chunk in two of my corners from floor to ceiling (http://www.hifivision.com/diy/63966-super-chunk-bass-traps.html) and my room is 10 x16, result was awesome but my listening space become very small and i loosing some roar effect also .If you add basstraps ,panels and diffuser ,think about your listening area space . My advise is just treat your first reflection point with 2 inch panel , it ill give you significant result .For HT experience you should leave room dynamics as it is, if you treat your whole room as one of your consultant said , then your system efficiency will be reduced. Another point here is dont use rockwool as i did , it is health hazardous . I m replacing mine one by one with foam.
If you dont like foams then try woodwool.

In my view, your window will be the biggest problem. Thick curtains are not a solution.

Adding too much treatments in one go will make the room dead.

Carpets at the floor and absorption panels at the ceiling are a good start. Everything else, do it based on how it sounds/measures.

In an audio listening room, the first reflection points are easy, in an HT, it can be all over the place with so many sources of sound.

Originally Posted by Dj Suketu View Post
I have just hooked up acoustic curtains on my windows in the studio and the sound has dropped tremendously.. i'd suggest acoustic curtains for sure

Maybe something of this kind would be helpful in your case.

Hello
When I started my search for acoustic treatment for HT with atmos 5.1.4, I got varied opinions about acoustic treatment.
First was to treat whole room with 2" 500gsm fibersynth covered with cloth. But this method tends to make room dead acoustically n demand for high investment.
Second idea was to treat only first reflection points but it works best for 2 channel setup with single listener. It is technically difficult to decide about first reflection points of 9 sources for at least 4 viewers.
Read lots of site including Ethanwiner.com which gives excellent information. Searched for various calculators for measuring room response. Found amroc - the room mode calculator which gives you various parameters of room including room modes, dimensions. Most important is this calculator gives you area of absorption and avg absorption coefficient needed to get required Reverb time according to Eyring and Sabine calculators.
Depending on this I am planning to use Armstrong wall panels with 0.9 NRC and ceiling tiles of .9 NRC with carpet
Let's hope it work well and this information may help you to decide.

Hello

Depending on this I am planning to use Armstrong wall panels with 0.9 NRC and ceiling tiles of .9 NRC with carpet
Let's hope it work well and this information may help you to decide.

I dont think Armstrong ceiling panels are available in colors other than white, atleast when I researched them. White ceilings are a no-go if you are planning a HT.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back