acoustic portrait pre- power combo

nagurum1974

Iam willing to order the pre power combo.i was informed the price 51000 +vat+shipping.i think total will come around 55000.its a blind purchase.i was also informed that they got only 1 piece in stock . i am thinking to pair it with serenta villinos. My source is laptop . dac will be yulong mark ll .

Iasking fms that whthere i go for this combo.or i will get better than this in above mentioned price. Sereneta villinos cost 45000+vat + shipping i think.

Is any better choice than this.

Thankz for your valuable replies

It must be future.iam not willing to upgrade later

Dont think anyone would have heard this combo to advice. the amp/pre is good. but no idea if the speaker will go with it

suggestion is to buy the amp/pre and then go around with it to different speakers to hear for yourselves as to what you like.

buying both blind is not advisable...

I have the pre-power combo for around a year now and have been pretty happy with them. (Especially after I tried some different interconnects and speaker cable combinations)

Some pointers:
1. I find the pre to be really good for Indian music (think classical/semi classical/ghazals) and western music. It excels in finer music if that is what you are after. The pre has capacity to produce excellent sound staging - creating good depth (holographic imaging if we may say). Also I personally find it to be one of the more "musical" pre rather than being clinical. Goes well with Indian music which gives a smooth and refined rendition to music. Ideal to turn off the lights and relax and play it along.

2. My initial feeling was that the power amp was bit under-powered but it was my wrong impression due to another component in my chain (My interconnect length between pre and power was long and also a change in speaker wire really made the amps shine) The amp is powerful enough to drive my paradigm monitor 7 speakers very easily at 10 O clock volume level.

I did get a chance to compare it with some other power amps (a norge power amp and even a pass F5 amp) The power amp can be characterized with following:
a) The sound is very refined and high resolution for a class A/B amp
b) Sound is well rounder (which goes well with vocals/etc)
c) I find the sound to be just a hint on the warmer side but overall it is very very transparent. I have even paired it with my Pass B1 pre amp and it performs really really well.
d) I found that good speaker cables can make a huge difference to this power amp (I tried a different speaker cable and I was completely blown away by the pre-power combo when its full potential was unlocked.) Needless to say I have become a believer in cables/interconnects

What these amps are not:
1. Don't expect them to "Rock" as in with Hard Rock and metal music. They are far from that. They are more suitable for a subtle taste of music and more towards refinement. Fortunately I am not in Rock and those genres of music so did not care much about that.

Speaker matching is always such an important part. So that is left best to auditions. :)

Just thought of sharing my thoughts since you were seeking for it. :)

Disclaimer: I like to call an ace of spade an ace of spade and think at the current price it may be a worth consideration. Also I am concious of the fact that sometimes it is very easy to get biased to something since we own it but have tried to keep it as objective as possible and my honest opinion :) But since it is music all our tastes are so very different. I think the best way to look at it is to be unbiased and just go by our own hearing. If possible try to listen to it and see if you like it. :) Some of us like to listen to music as a whole and some like to pin point the instrument separation and sound staging. You are the best judge. It all comes down to ones own taste as you may be already aware of :)

IMP: This is my listening impressions based on my setup and so have no idea how it will sound with the speakers you have mentioned. So YMMV :)
Also since I am currently not tracking the amp prices so no idea if any better combo available. One BIG advantage I find with pre-power amps as compared to getting an integrated in similar price range is able to swap the pre amp or power amp which is really fun and amazing how much we can tweak the setup.

Best of Luck & Kind Regards!

Last edited:
I have the pre-power combo for around a year now and have been pretty happy with them. (Especially after I tried some different interconnects and speaker cable combinations)

Some pointers:
1. I find the pre to be really good for Indian music (think classical/semi classical/ghazals) and western music. It excels in finer music if that is what you are after. The pre has capacity to produce excellent sound staging - creating good depth (holographic imaging if we may say). Also I personally find it to be one of the more "musical" pre rather than being clinical. Goes well with Indian music which gives a smooth and refined rendition to music. Ideal to turn off the lights and relax and play it along.

2. My initial feeling was that the power amp was bit under-powered but it was my wrong impression due to another component in my chain (My interconnect length between pre and power was long and also a change in speaker wire really made the amps shine) The amp is powerful enough to drive my paradigm monitor 7 speakers very easily at 10 O clock volume level.

I did get a chance to compare it with some other power amps (a norge power amp and even a pass F5 amp) The power amp can be characterized with following:
a) The sound is very refined and high resolution for a class A/B amp
b) Sound is well rounder (which goes well with vocals/etc)
c) I find the sound to be just a hint on the warmer side but overall it is very very transparent. I have even paired it with my Pass B1 pre amp and it performs really really well.
d) I found that good speaker cables can make a huge difference to this power amp (I tried a different speaker cable and I was completely blown away by the pre-power combo when its full potential was unlocked.) Needless to say I have become a believer in cables/interconnects

What these amps are not:
1. Don't expect them to "Rock" as in with Hard Rock and metal music. They are far from that. They are more suitable for a subtle taste of music and more towards refinement. Fortunately I am not in Rock and those genres of music so did not care much about that.

Speaker matching is always such an important part. So that is left best of auditions. :)

Just thought of sharing my thoughts since you were seeking for it. :)

Disclaimer: I like to call an ace of spade an ace of spade and think at the current price it is a good buy. But since it is music all our tastes are so very different. I think the best way to look at it is to be unbiased and just go by our own hearing. If possible try to listen to it and see if you like it. :)

hey this a great review of the combo, could you put some more light on the comparison with pass F5.

I was not knowing that the combo cost abt 55k or so, i thought their pre-power combo was costlier.

I heard accustic portrait set up few days back at one FMs place, consisting of their dac, pre amp, two power amplifiers and their floorstanding speakers. The music was so pure, i just felt that i should close my eyes and keep listening to the music.

Regards, Amit

Last edited:
Dear Amit,

I have been off HIFI for some time now thanks to my kid who has just turned 1 now. So my setup is packed up and kept for some time as my family has learnt that kids dont go well with wires and all HIFI gear. I just happened to stumble upon this post and so replied as it was seeked and thought it may help.

Yes, I did get a chance to do a side by side comparison of the AP amp to the pass F5 amp at one of my close friends place. The Pass sound is COMPLETELY different and it follows a puristic approach (I do have a Pass B1 pre amp) Basically it does not modify anything and hence it is very true to original sound. So some people will like and some may find it clinical (and that is not the problem of Pass F5 but our conditioning over so many years how music is presented and consumed by us). I personally dont mind different presentation styles as am not a rigid audiophile ;) I like to listen to different presentations. So I also have a pass B1 with me. I just hook up what I feel like.

I am sure there are other qualified experts on our forum to comment on same but my general observations between the two power amps were:
1. AP Power amp (75 watts one) sounded more rounded than Pass F5. Pass F5 sounded leaner.
2. I personally found Pass F5 to be very clean(ical? :) ). Since I am conditioned by the class A/B sound so it is a different sound for me. At first I found it clinical but like I said I like different presentation styles and so like that as well. Pass F5 gives a very true to source presentation as per true "Pass" philosophy. I really like that way of thinking and appreciate it. It is a completely different way of listening to music. I find it to be more puristic in a good sense.
3. compared to Pass F5 the AP power amp sounded just a little warmer yet very transparent

I would put it this way:
If I was a purist then I like pass sound but when it comes to emotions it has to be tube and AP sound. Does that sound sensible? I am still not able to figure it out. The more different amps I listen to the more I question myself.
So go figure it out.. ;)

P.S: So you were at Venu's place. :) No wonder your reaction! I have heard similar such reactions before many a times :)

Last edited:
hey Rohit,

thanks a lot for this detailed explanation.

You guessed it right, i went to Venu's place just about 2 weeks back.

regards, Amit

I have heard AP gear at Venu's place and liked it, his MTM speakers also from AP were also excellent. You should audition the gear if possible and decide if you like them, aftre all spending55K is not an everyday occurrence, right?

I have heard AP gear at Venu's place and liked it, his MTM speakers also from AP were also excellent. You should audition the gear if possible and decide if you like them, aftre all spending55K is not an everyday occurrence, right?

Right sir .thats why iam waiting for almost ayear searching and variius options.the main drawback what i got is audition.i got new place to auditikn the combo or time

I too have been very keen to try out the AP pre-power combo. However, I have been unable to audition it in this part of the country (Ahmedabad/Mumbai), which has held me back so far. I have talked to some folks who own them (gvenu, nikhil etc), and they have very high praise for AP gear. But I firmly believe that you should not plonk your hard earned money until you hear the system at least once.

Last edited:
Hi,

As ARJ has mentioned the AP pre/pwr combination is good. I have heard them with different AP speakers and the combination sounds very good.

How they sound with the Sereneta Villinos will be known only if you try the amps with the Sereneta's.

Is any better choice than this.

I think the Lyrita DHT pre with either the Lyrita 2A3 or GM70 amps will be a better choice with the Sereneta's.

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/46444-birth-new-speakers-serenata-audio-violoncello.html

From the reveiw.

Associated gears that were part of the chain
Serenata Audio Violoncello Speakers
Lyrita Audio 2A3 Integrated Amp
Pro Audio CDP
Custom ICs & Cat5 Speaker cables (Serenata Audio)

A few FM's in Madras have Lyrita amps and speakers that you should be able to listen too. You are welcome to listen to mine.

Regards
Rajiv

Dont think anyone would have heard this combo to advice. the amp/pre is good. but no idea if the speaker will go with it

I Heard the pre/power combo at Nikhil's place , with PSB Fs and my AP BS speakers ... it was really a great exp ....

He has very nice AP Pre/power and the cables too are very nice...

the combo of AP Speakers with AP pre/power was the best ...

All the best for your purchase

Tanoj

Hi Nagurum1974,

First of all congrats on your decision to purchase the Serenata Audio Violino's. They are really lovely speakers :)

I'd advise you to rethink on the amp front, by looking at this amp:

Dared VP300B
dared1iu7.jpg

Contact Byju chacko
[email protected]
Analog Audio Labs India | Best Valve(Vacuum Tube) Amplifiers in India | An audiophile enterprise from Cochin(Ernakulam) Kerala | High-end audio systems made-in-India

I have listen to lyrita harmony one with set amp i think in one of our fm s place vortex. I did like the sound but but iam not satisfied but its sound great.but its not my kind.

around last year i bought a new system...i was incliend to buy blind...but was advised by soem forum members (especialyl Shanti/Bhagwan) to demo as many as possible, and im glad i did. what i learnt was, there is so much i "dont" know about what i really like :)

you are bordering an investment of 1 lk. the joy of travelling to new place for demo's will open up your mind and give much better ideas.

luckily for me, im based in mumbai...so could demo, the psb's, focal, maggies, martin logans, revel, b&w and one more brand which i dotn recollect...

i miss not making an effort to try out audire, lyrita, morel, proac, ATC and such...

prior to these auditions, i was invited to suresh lalwani's den, which set the yardstick for me...his system.. Magneplanar 3.4 i think + cadence canasya to begin with...once i have tht kinda money, thats the exact system i would want too :) Magneplanars are truly divine..

ultimately i went to pune to audition cadence and that was it! i realized i liked system which gives music a "live" feel. and well that was it!

pls do demo!

nagurum1974,

For Rs 55,000 you will not get a better brand new Pre Power combination.

You mentioned future (proof) and I would say a reasonable yes to this as well. You are based in Chennai - Bangalore is not far away. If you do buy the amps, AP will help you take care of them long after you buy them. You might even be able to upgrade to something better with a friendly exchange - that's future proof to me.

Don't try to do this in one shot. I would recommend buying the amps and use them along with your Diamond 10.1s - you will be very happy with that alone. As you already know how they sound you will be able to appreciate the difference the AP amps will make. You will have plenty of time to buy your speakers with auditioning.

Don't let the price fool you. These are some of the best amps you will listen to.
You will not get anything better from many imported brands costing up to Rs 2 lakhs (just to give you an idea)

Hi Nagurum1974,

First of all congrats on your decision to purchase the Serenata Audio Violino's. They are really lovely speakers :)

I'd advise you to rethink on the amp front, by looking at this amp:

Dared VP300B
While I really don't know much about dared..will suggest not going for most chinese amps .
There are chinese amps and then there are chinese amps...while those like LM audio seem to be making a mark and also trying to build a brand , there are others which are not really making the mark and are a hit- miss

I would any day prefer going for Virens amp over this.. Or else pay the premium for the more expensive ones. Again nothing against dared.. It could be good..but please do your due diligence well if you choose to buy.

While I really don't know much about dared..will suggest not going for most chinese amps .
There are chinese amps and then there are chinese amps...while those like LM audio seem to be making a mark and also trying to build a brand , there are others which are not really making the mark and are a hit- miss

I would any day prefer going for Virens amp over this.. Or else pay the premium for the more expensive ones. Again nothing against dared.. It could be good..but please do your due diligence well if you choose to buy.

Well, have heard this amp & will continue to do so as it is bought by one of my friends - no, not from china but from Byju chacko of analogaudiolabs.in
I always try to suggest gears that I have heard personally, otherwise I do not suggest.

Yes, Virenji has some good amps to offer, but that does not mean that one looks only at Lyrita audio for tube amps. No offense but just saying as I see it.

Yes, due diligence is of utmost priority but at the same time it is best left to the OP to decide what he wants. The rest of us posting in his thread can just give him some pointers, thats all.

Hope the OP is not getting further confused by 'tug-of-war' taking place in his thread :rolleyes:

i did not mean the sound..Most MICs do usually sound good, it is the quality as usually they start giving problems in a year from what i have read

Anyway..this is not about Dared, i dont know it and have not heard and dont doubt it sounds good.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back