Active/ passive speakers DIY with Genelec drivers?

Santy

Happened to stumble upon this. It may be of interest to any of you.
GENELEC 8030A, woofer & tweeter set, PAIR, NEW IN BOX | eBay

Its a 'pair' of Genelec 8030a drivers (woofer + tweeter)
Not cheap exactly but quite attractive price.
If someone is planning for DIY of a serious speaker with a serious design, they can consider it. Both are 6 ohm drivers.

genelec1_zpscb00b908.jpg

genelec2_zps198ed6e6.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not promoting the item and I assume no risk arising out of its purchase

Happened to stumble upon this. It may be of interest to any of you.
GENELEC 8030A, woofer & tweeter set, PAIR, NEW IN BOX | eBay

Its a 'pair' of Genelec 8030a drivers (woofer + tweeter)
Not cheap exactly but quite attractive price.
If someone is planning for DIY of a serious speaker with a serious design, they can consider it. Both are 6 ohm drivers.

genelec1_zpscb00b908.jpg

genelec2_zps198ed6e6.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not promoting the item and I assume no risk arising out of its purchase

IMHO, Genelec's quality comes not so much from the driver quality (which it does), but more from the complete integration of amplification, enclosure, equalisation that works so seamlessly together).

that tweeter, by design, needs a wave guide, which is built into front baffle of the genelec. similarly that woofer must have been pretty optimised for the genelec enclosure size, alignment and equalisation.

also not overly efficient --> 100dB at 40w means a sensitivity of 84dB/w

it's almost 100% likely to come out inferior to the original. :) and thats a tribute to genelec engineering.

but a fun thought none the less

Santy,

Why not buy it and try it yourself first and let us know about the outcome after comparing it with your original genelacs :D

Last edited:
Santy,

Why not buy it and try it yourself first and let us know about the outcome after comparing it with your original genelacs :D

it's almost 100% likely to come out inferior to the original. :) and thats a tribute to genelec engineering.

but a fun thought none the less

Did I ever say you can make your own Genelecs? Or did I say you can make a Genelec 8030 just with their drivers?

I really wish you both understand that I am not a fool to suggest someone to do a genelec at home and do an A/B with the original. :D

The post was to just to highlight that these drivers can be an option just like many drivers out there for DIY and may sound better if carefully designed/matched.

Did I ever say you can make your own Genelecs? Or did I say you can make a Genelec 8030 just with their drivers?

I really wish you both understand that I am not a fool to suggest someone to do a genelec at home and do an A/B with the original. :D

The post was to just to highlight that these drivers can be an option just like many drivers out there for DIY and may sound better if carefully designed/matched.

and i was making a converse point. that it's unlikely, since these are optimised for a particular alignment / baffle size / electronic equalisation, so your best bet would be, as i think kanwar implied, make copies of genelecs, and even then, they are likely to fall flat.

the beauty of DIY is that you can pick the drivers for the application.

but like I said, it's a nice idea to try, if one has the spare cash, and who knows, once measured more applications could be found

edit: it is not too expensive, as far DIY is concerned, less than 10k for a a midbass and tweeter pair. might be worth biting for someone.

Last edited:
as i think kanwar implied, make copies of genelecs, and even then, they are likely to fall flat.

edit: it is not too expensive, as far DIY is concerned, less than 10k for a a midbass and tweeter pair. might be worth biting for someone.

Yes.. That was the purpose of my post!

Kapvin,

Plz, Don't put your words in my mouth:)

I am against making copies of Genelac, what i actually mean to say was that whatever diy design Santy/any other diyer has in his mind for such speakers, they should give it a try and later they can compare it with originals regarding the degree of difference does it makes using the genelac drivers, if any[Provided it should an active system, passive system has literally no value whatsoever] :D

Last edited:
Kanwar
I am still not understood right I guess.
I am not advocating a duplicate DIY copy of Genelec.
Let us forget about Genelec for a moment and consider I am suggesting a high quality driver set at a reasonable price for DIY speakers. Should DIYer consider it or not? That was the thought. Why not benefit from Genelec drivers which I think could contribute atleast 30% of its performance ESP when it's available at a competitive price.

We can compare the finished speaker with a similar DIYed speaker of some regular brand drivers of similar cost. The one with Genelec drivers 'may' sound better. Idea is not to compare with originals please. :)

OK now that we are not comparing with originals and also willing to look at things with a 'open mind' without pre-conceived notions, how do you guys think they will score against drivers normally used for DIY worth around this price range?

OK now that we are not comparing with originals and also willing to look at things with a 'open mind' without pre-conceived notions, how do you guys think they will score against drivers normally used for DIY worth around this price range?

need the T/s parameters for a start to see what kind of box the woofer prefers.

then the FR and HD plots and CSD plots to get a sense of how it stacks up.

i googled briefly, could not find any specs published online.

but looking at the build quality - its all topnoth- though 1 photo in the link did not look like it was the same woofer as the others. mounting the woofer on the baffle will be a pain though, might need a rear mount.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back