Adagio: Initial impressions

rsjaurr

I received their top model Adagio couple of days to pair with recently bought Focal Electra 1038 BE and Parasound Halo A21. I played the songs from my Android phone via USB Audio player which I use in my car, via foobar2000 on my surface pro 2 and CDs on my 8 year old Panasonic DMP BDT110.

As soon as I played a song in FLAC format via phone connected to Adagio by USB cable I was blown away by the quality of music I was listening. this is far far better than my car audio system comprising Helix P six DSP, Audison LRX amp outputting 1000w to Morel 12" Sub-woofer in sealed box, HAT L1pro R2 tweeters, HAT L3 Pro mids, Exodus Anarchy woofers and of course high end wires.

My initial impressions regarding the sound are very satisfying. The whole system seems to have welcomed other components. The sound is rich, very dynamic not at all fatiguing and analog type sound. As I read in other reviews its on the warmer side with upper frequencies seem to be rolled off. I prefer this of sound and can hear it for long time. My car system sounds bit on the brighter side and I have to either lower the volume or switch it off after 15-20 minutes of listening.

The mid range is excellent too and bass is very and controlled and seems to go very low. I was planning to add two Infinity 10" sub-woofers lying unused at home since 2007 but I can delay it now. The sound stage is excellent and me being standing just two feet away from rack with eyes closed I could feel the vocals coming from rack and instruments on the sides. Here the credit should also goes to Focals. I was able to hear few instruments first time which I never heard in my car system.

I am planning to later add a pre amp which will be fully balanced like ARC, Aesthetix, Atma-Sphere etc, a source like Aurender N100 and a good quality CD player like Rega or similar.
I will post full review when Adagio has fully completed 100hours "burn in" period. BTW I am using stock wires so far and will add big brands wires in Feb which my FIL will bring from states. I am hoping it will be fun after that.

I received their top model Adagio couple of days to pair with recently bought Focal Electra 1038 BE and Parasound Halo A21. I played the songs from my Android phone via USB Audio player which I use in my car, via foobar2000 on my surface pro 2 and CDs on my 8 year old Panasonic DMP BDT110.

As soon as I played a song in FLAC format via phone connected to Adagio by USB cable I was blown away by the quality of music I was listening. this is far far better than my car audio system comprising Helix P six DSP, Audison LRX amp outputting 1000w to Morel 12" Sub-woofer in sealed box, HAT L1pro R2 tweeters, HAT L3 Pro mids, Exodus Anarchy woofers and of course high end wires.

My initial impressions regarding the sound are very satisfying. The whole system seems to have welcomed other components. The sound is rich, very dynamic not at all fatiguing and analog type sound. As I read in other reviews its on the warmer side with upper frequencies seem to be rolled off. I prefer this of sound and can hear it for long time. My car system sounds bit on the brighter side and I have to either lower the volume or switch it off after 15-20 minutes of listening.

The mid range is excellent too and bass is very and controlled and seems to go very low. I was planning to add two Infinity 10" sub-woofers lying unused at home since 2007 but I can delay it now. The sound stage is excellent and me being standing just two feet away from rack with eyes closed I could feel the vocals coming from rack and instruments on the sides. Here the credit should also goes to Focals. I was able to hear few instruments first time which I never heard in my car system.

I am planning to later add a pre amp which will be fully balanced like ARC, Aesthetix, Atma-Sphere etc, a source like Aurender N100 and a good quality CD player like Rega or similar.
I will post full review when Adagio has fully completed 100hours "burn in" period. BTW I am using stock wires so far and will add big brands wires in Feb which my FIL will bring from states. I am hoping it will be fun after that.
Congratulations..welcome to Metrum family of NOS R2R dac.
Rgds
Sanj

Congrats! I just purchased a Metrum Pavane DAC and my initial impressions are similar to yours. Metrums reputataion is well deserved. A period of burn in is definitely recommended. SQ will improve daily as you play more.

Congratulations! A burn in will definitely make a difference. Since you are using it as a DAC /preamp, instead it is possible to introduce a analog preamp (preferably tube based) and check out the difference...
But you'd need a Equally good one to make a difference.

And some good quality pictures of your setup are sorely missed.

Congratulations! A burn in will definitely make a difference. Since you are using it as a DAC /preamp, instead it is possible to introduce a analog preamp (preferably tube based) and check out the difference...
But you'd need a Equally good one to make a difference.

And some good quality pictures of your setup are sorely missed.

Thanks Dr Krithik.
Very soon I am going to add either something like Aurender N100 or preamp and a CD player. If I decide to go for preamp rather than Aurender then it will be most likely a tube preamp but which is more on neutral side e.g. ARC. One ARC LS26 got sold for 1.2lacs few months back which was a steal at that price. I would love to buy one at that price.

I am attaching few pics but at present my system could find only this corner of our home and even this will be temporary. We are going to build new home and will start demolishing it very soon. Everything right now about this system is not perfect as can be seen in the pics but it will have dedicated room next year I hope.:)

IMG-20190101-WA0028.jpgIMG-20190101-WA0031.jpgIMG-20190101-WA0032.jpg

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back