adding a supertweeter

rupy

Hi!,
Can anyone recommend me a place to buy a supertweeter alongwith a cross-over.
Thanks.

Madison.

I recall, There is also something called L-pad for the crossover, depends on you application. What type of speakers do you have?

Speaker gurus here will advise better.

Thanks Keith,
I am looking forward to buy a good supertweeter alongwith a good efficient cross-over.This is an experiment to extend the existing speaker system response.

Madison.

I recall, There is also something called L-pad for the crossover, depends on you application. What type of speakers do you have?

Speaker gurus here will advise better.

Thanks Gobble,
I am looking forward to buy a supertweeter which has an extended freq response(say 30khz),alongwith a crossover which would allow freq over say 17khz.This is an experiment to extendend the upper freq response of my existing system.

Just the thread I was looking to start.

L-pad is for attenuation to bring the efficiency of the super-tweeter which are normally super-efficient in line with the midrange. A super tweeter should always be run with a cross over, a simple capacitor in series is usually adequate. Fostex recommends the cap value for their supertweeters when combined with a full ranger in a BLH. There are online calculators which will help you select the cap value for a given cross over frequency.

IIRC, but a simple capacitor would represent a first order crossover.

I am looking to source a pair of good tweeter to extend the frequency response of the Fostex BLH speakers I am currently running. These things are awfully easy to source in the US, but finding them here is difficult.

Is it really necessary? Can you take a hearing test before that using the following URL.

Mosquito Ringtones - Download the Mosquito Ring Tone Free

Good point. There is no point adding a supertweeter if the existing tweeters are already going upto 20 Khz.

I OTOH am already running tweeters, but I wish to upgrade those tweeters to better quality ones. I would be crossing over much lower around 12KHz. Ok, I am looking for efficient tweeters not necessarily super-tweeters.

You don't have to download it, just play it online to test. Very difficult to hear the sound after 12khz. You may need to keep your ears closer to the speaker and move your head different direction to hear the sound.

Last edited:
You don't have to download it, just play it online to test. Very difficult to hear the sound after 12khz. You may need to keep your ears closer to the speaker and move your head different direction to hear the sound.

Those sounds at different frequencies can be heard /downloaded. I was referring to the ringtone. If you click that, it takes you to a registration page. After typing in the details, you get a verification code on the mobile. The registration completes after you type in the code; The page that loads after this does not have any mention of the ringtone download and lists several offers. Even if you try to click the original link again (with fond hope to go straight to the download link) it takes you to some other site marketing games or to a page which states that you have won some price and prompts you to fill in your details. Try it and you will know.

But we want audiophile quality mosquitoes to listen on our Hifi gear. Laptop speakers will not do justice ... and usually its the mosquito that moves around the head ...
Fancy a stationary mosquito and a lunatic circling his head around it for special effects? :eek:hyeah:

Edit: I love that site!! According to its test tones, I am 25 years or younger!! :eek:hyeah: Time to ring up my girlfriends ... :rolleyes:

--G0bble:rolleyes:

Last edited:
OMG, you have girlfriends who are willing to listen to test tones? :)

No I meant to tell them about my notional age of 25 (since I can hear above 17khz) and "prove it" to them :licklips::eek:hyeah:

Strange .. they always complained I was deaf to their screeching ... :rolleyes:

--G0bble

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back