Adive: HDMI Cable length

bhprin

Advice for HDMI cable(FHD,3d) for length about 30-35 feets. I have heard there is quality degrade when length is big? how big pls clarify.
Also, Do you advice to have 25 ft hdmi cable + 5/10 ft extension cable? I am considering BlueRigger CL3 cables.
Note: Cable need STB/Player to Projector (optoma 141x).. :)

So far I've used upto 15ft max. No issues so far. One of my friends is using 35ft cable, he is getting some black lines on the screen. Both mine and his cables are non branded. So making a decision based on these examples would not be practical IMHO.

Advice for HDMI cable(FHD,3d) for length about 30-35 feets. I have heard there is quality degrade when length is big? how big pls clarify.
Also, Do you advice to have 25 ft hdmi cable + 5/10 ft extension cable? I am considering BlueRigger CL3 cables.
Note: Cable need STB/Player to Projector (optoma 141x).. :)

There are two categories of HDMI as defined by the HDMI standard, "Standard" and "High Speed".

Standard (or "Category 1") HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz or up to 2.25Gbps, which is equivalent to 720p/1080i signal.

High Speed (or "Category 2") HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz or up to 10.2Gbps, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates from the Source. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).

The HDMI specification specifies required performance of a given cable, but does not govern the length as long as the cable meets the given requirements. So the question is "How much length"

It is rare to find a HDMI cable longer than 25 feet online. 16 feet ones are easily available. I am using a 12 feet high speed category 2 cable without any issues. My friend is using a 25 feet one without any visible issues @ 1080p.

Any HDMI cable whether it is CL2 or CL3 has nothing to do with signal quality - it is related to fire safety rating, so do not get carried away by it.

Another thing to look for is the wires in the cable itself. For longer cables it should be 24 AWG atleast. Some cables have fiber optic wires.

Since your requirement is to connect the STB to projector, IMHO a HDMI Extender over Cat5/Cat6e will be a good way to go or maybe a HDMI extender / repeater. That is if you are experiencing visible issues.

Last but not the least, there are long range (40 feet to 100 feet) Active HDMI cables which are directional - meaning the ends are marked "TV" / "Display". So they have to be connected properly (in the proper direction). Connecting the other way around will not damage your equipment but it simply won't work.

Experiment practically with different lengths, who knows it might just work. Good luck. Till then cheers.

Last edited:
I am using a 12m Belkin HDMI cable with no issues. I had also tested a Chinese 12m cable with no discernible difference but went for the branded one only because this cable was to be concealed.

Thanks all your advices.
Since passive HDMI carries digital signal and HDMI ports are having limited power to propagate signals. Due to this i suppose length comes into consideration.

Extending with repeater or going with cat cables is costly since my max length of cable is not more than 30-35ft.
I suppose length would depends upon source of signals as well due to power supply for propagating signals.
As per here and there information on internet, HDMI standard shall support 50ft.

Back