Advice? Complex setup with PC/TV/Projector/Soundbar

AnotherLondoner

Hello,
I'm planning to add a projector to my PC/TV/Soundbar setup, and trying to design the connectivity. :D
The PC/TV/Soundbar are next to each other.
The projector will be on the other side of the room and I can't run cables between the two sides of the room.

Current usages which are working fine :
Usage 1 : Watch DigitalTV using TV remote, video=TV & audio=Soundbar
Usage 2 : Watch video running on PC, video=TV & audio=Soundbar

Current setup :
UrRx6AC.png

New usage to setup :
Usage 3 : Watch video running on PC, video=Projector & audio=Soundbar, TV screen being off

New setup plan :
6OqvCEy.png

Already owned :
TV : Panasonic Viera TX-L42E6B
Soundbar : Samsung-HW-K450 (different inputs : 2 HDMI, SPDIF, Bluetooth etc)
PC : Intel D34010WYKH3 NUC (only one miniHDMI output)

To buy :
HDMI Duplicator : Teorder 2 Ports HDMI Splitter (1 HDMI input / 2 HDMI outputs) - 8 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teorder-Di...d-Resolutions-hdmi-splitter-4k/dp/B01G81PBSK/
Wireless HDMI Transmitter : Optoma-WHD200 - 200 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-WHD200-Wireless-HDMI-System/dp/B00BPXILY8
HDMI Audio/Video Splitter : Neoteck HDMI Audio Extractor - 13 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoteck-Extractor-Optical-Converter-Splitter-DAC-1080P/dp/B01GH4MEYC/
Projector : anything with HDMI input
Lots of HDMI cables

Does my plan makes sense ? Any better ideas ?
Is there a way to have only one box that does "HDMI Audio/Video Splitter" AND "HDMI Duplicator" ?
How can I be sure that I can switch off the TV when using the projector ?
Is there a way to spend less on the transmission of the video from the PC to the Projector ? The Wireless HDMI Transmitter is expensive.
Thanks for reading ! :yahoo:

Attachments

• current TV setup.png
    current TV setup.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 38
  • new TV setup.jpg
    new TV setup.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 38
The easiest way to run things is to run a Plex Media Server and use Chromecast.

I've 2 TVs and 1 PJ, all running via PMS and Chromecast.

However, it's audio you'll need to spend on as today's TVs don't have any speakers of measure. So you need either a soundbar with HDMI input or else an AVR.

Connect everything to an AVR and AVR outputs to TV or PJ.

Your existing PC can run PMS, Chromecast is cheap at $35 or $70 for 4K.

But the big spend will be on audio... if you already have speakers/receivers with HDMI inputs then easily done.

The other alternative is to buy Android TV, works the same and can read files locally or via USB, and can also read from a NAS.

Other than the likes of Chromecast, wireless HDMI has not been that good, still early days and too flaky most of the time.

The projector will be on the other side of the room and I can't run cables between the two sides of the room.

What is the challenge in running the cables across the room? is it appearance (or) civil work?

If you were to spend 250 pounds for HDMI solution, you may consider an AVR with dual HDMI output that can fix all your needs, but you will need to run cables..A pair of speakers might be additional.. But you can do away with soundbar..

Last edited:
The easiest way to run things is to run a Plex Media Server and use Chromecast.

I've 2 TVs and 1 PJ, all running via PMS and Chromecast.
Thanks ! but if I 'cast' to a Chromecast on the projector, I won't have sound, as you need to send sound+video to the Chromecast.

However, it's audio you'll need to spend on as today's TVs don't have any speakers of measure. So you need either a soundbar with HDMI input or else an AVR.

Connect everything to an AVR and AVR outputs to TV or PJ.

Your existing PC can run PMS, Chromecast is cheap at $35 or $70 for 4K.

But the big spend will be on audio... if you already have speakers/receivers with HDMI inputs then easily done.

Yes I already have a soundbar, next to the TV and PC, see the diagram.
An AVR could be nice but I don't have much to connect to it, as I've just got a PC/TV/Soundbar on that side of the room.
The projector will be on the other side of the room.

The other alternative is to buy Android TV, works the same and can read files locally or via USB, and can also read from a NAS.

Other than the likes of Chromecast, wireless HDMI has not been that good, still early days and too flaky most of the time.
Not sure what I would be the point of the Android TV, what would it be for ?
The reviews of the Optoma-WHD200 looked quite good, if I've got line-of-sight, which is something I have :)

What is the challenge in running the cables across the room? is it appearance (or) civil work?

If you were to spend 250 pounds for HDMI solution, you may consider an AVR with dual HDMI output that can fix all your needs, but you will need to run cables..A pair of speakers might be additional.. But you can do away with soundbar..
I could run a cable, no problems, but I won't have anywhere to hide it along the walls. The skirting board can't be removed easily to hide it under without destroying it. Or along the ceiling I would need to destroy the cornices.

For now my soundbar is OK, it's a "2.1" Samsung-HW-K450
Maybe one day I'll get fancy speakers... :yahoo:

So I've got a new version of my plan :

uctyiX3.png

I can actually use the two outputs of my PC Intel D34010WYKH3 NUC:
- miniHDMI
- miniDisplayPort

So I don't need to use an HDMI Duplicator

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back