Advice for bookshelf speakers for Marantz PM 7200

soundseeker

Hi there,

I am a newbie on this forum and belong to the neighboring Bangladesh.

So, first thing first, Namaste, Salam and Adab to All of you.

"Towfa Kobul Kijiye, Maharajo":clapping:

Found about this forum while surfing the net for the right kind of speakers as I am thinking to upgrade my system.

I have been running a Marantz PM 7200 amplifier with a pair of decades-old Sharp speakers. Sounds well, but HELLO!!! not great. :D

However, was looking to upgrade the system with a pair of bookshelf speakers. I'm on a very tight budget that is, maximum US $ 200-250. :eek:hyeah:

Can anyone advise what should I get??

I listen to all type of music ranging from classical (both western and eastern) to hard rock, pop and old (till the 90s) metal songs.

Another thing, the user manual that comes with the Marantz says "at least 8 ohms speakers" should be connected for one set of speakers and each speakers should be "at least 16 ohms" if two sets of speakers are connected.

Does it mean that I have to change 8 ohms speakers to 16 ohms ones if i want to attach another pair???

Would really appreciate your expert opinion on this matter as well.

Regards,

Soundseeker, welcome to the forum!

Where will you be purchasing the speakers from? What all brands are available?

I am a newbie on this forum and belong to the neighboring Bangladesh.

Welcome, have a great time.

I have been running a Marantz PM 7200 amplifier

The first speaker brand that comes to my mind for Marantz is Wharfedale speakers, excellent synergy between them. For your amp, I might lean more on the Diamond 9.1/9.2.

:)

Salaam Miya.

Anngo ektu koriya zanaiben ki kon kon foreign speaker brands paowa zai aapnago okhanaey?

We should be able to guide you after you let us know of the brands available at your end.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum! I have the Marantz PM7001 paried with Monitor Audio BR2 and it sounds great. It should work well with the 7200 and the type of music you hear, though may be not fit your budget and may not be suited to some kinds of music as it is on the brighter side.

Wharfedales do pair well with the Marantz and apart from 9.1/9.2, another option worth considering is the Diamond 8.2 which is a good speaker and will also easily fit into your budget if you get hold of one at your place.

Needless to say, do audition all speakers with the choice of music you routinely hear before you make your purchase decision! :)

Regards
Shriram

Thanks for all the advice..

I see most of you people have advised to go for the Diamonds...well I was actually considering the 9.2s.

Have to check whether the Polk Audio RTi A3 is available (ready stock) in the handful number of shops here in Dhaka.

Answering the query of what brands are available here, actually you can get hold of any speakers here in Dhaka,:eek:hyeah: but the problem is it's not readily available.:eek:

However, popular brands like JBL, Bose, Wharfedale etc are readily available. actually there's a dealer for Bose, who maintain two showrooms in Dhaka.

@avidyarthy: "Dada, anner prosner uttor disi.... ohon ektu poramosrho den j konta bhalo hoibo" :)

Other ones, offer different brands.

Auditioning before buying is limited to the products that the shops can offer right at this moment.:mad:

In case of a specific model you have to wait for at least 15 to a max 30 days,:sad: and only if you pay a portion of the money beforehand to the shops.

The shops here in Dhaka procure from usually Singapore.

However, I am lucky at this moment, cause just the other day I saw 9.2s are available now a days. So got the chance to at least listen to before buying.:yahoo:

Thanks again :D

With a budget of @ $250 for the speakers ..... 9.2s should be about the best buy for the Marantz.

Eibaar tara tari kinieya moza koorun ...... wharf guno shotti VFM.

Hi,

All the way from Dhaka huh? welcome here.:) At the budget you have mentioned and with Marantz driving it, the Diamond 9.2s are hard to beat at their price point.Audition them and buy them if you like the sound.Alow them some weeks of burn in time.You will never regret your decision.

cheers,
sri

Thanks for all the advice.

With a budget of @ $250 for the speakers ..... 9.2s should be about the best buy for the Marantz.

Eibaar tara tari kinieya moza koorun ...... wharf guno shotti VFM.

And bhai, It seems you have mastered the dialect of the greater Mymensingh region of Bangladesh.

But, alas I am not that good in Hindi....I can go "thora thora" ;)

"Shukria..apse jan-phchaan hoke bohut achha laga":D

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back