Advice for Yamaha RX-V363

hpt999

Hi,

This is my first post on this site.

I am buying a new home theater set up for my house. I have auditioned few systems & have shortlisted the YAMAHA RX-V 363 (S$400) With YAMAHA NS-P440 Speaker(S$650)
Please suggest
1) Any other brand in the above price range (Rs13000+20000)?
2) Is this combination good?
3) What is the price in India? If cheap there so I can drop my plan to buy from Singapore.
I need advise & help

Thanks
Gaurav

Yamaha RX-V363 is pretty good among the entry level HT systems. It also comes with HDMI input not found in the entry level Onkyo's like 3100/3105 (both around 19K). Do note that the Yamaha sound while good for movies is not so much for music. If HDMI is not an issue (mind you the Yamaha does not do any processing, in fact only the very high end AVRs will do HDMI audio processing) then go for the Onkyo. Either way both are good VFM systems.

Thanks
I love listening to music and watch movies occasionally as well.
My overall budget is about up to 40K for receiver + speaker. Since music is my first priority.pls suggest me another good option too.

Thanks
I love listening to music and watch movies occasionally as well.
My overall budget is about up to 40K for receiver + speaker. Since music is my first priority.pls suggest me another good option too.

For music you are better off with a stereo amp, a HT system really will not do for music. Only music in DTS will sound good on a 5.1 or higher HT system. The other option would be getting an AVR that will support 2 sets of speakers where you can connect 2 front speakers/BS in the "B speaker" mode, while "A speaker" mode would be retained for the 5.1 HT speakers, but this will work out to be more expensive.

Since music is your priority it might be better getting a stereo amp setup with subwoofer out so you can watch movies in 2.1 instead of 5.1. If you choose to go this route then an integrated unit would not be available unless you are looking for a HTIB or a PC speaker system (not really a good idea). Getting the AVR and the speakers separately would be better off and also you can add more speakers later on to complete a 5.1 system and go with only FS/BS and a 5.1 AVR right now.

Some pioneer 5.1 Av reciever available ta reliance digital at approx 13K ...forgot the Model number

Thanks Kaushik
but i need to know is there a major diff bitwn Yamaha RX-V363 and Yamaha RX-V463 (performance wise)?

Thanks Kaushik
but i need to know is there a major diff bitwn Yamaha RX-V363 and Yamaha RX-V463 (performance wise)?

Hi Gaurav,
Here are the differences feature wise.

RX-463 has
Neural Surround
XM HD Surround Sound
Sirius-Ready
105W * 5 compared to 100W * 5 of RX 363
YPAO (w/Optimizer Microphone) with RX 463
On-Screen Display

RX-363 has Night Listening Enhancer.

YPAO is good feature(AUTOMATIC SYSTEM CALIBRATION) in 463

I see from website that rx-363 is 229$ and rx-463 is 349$. I will stick to
rx-363 and put that extra cost on good speakers and stands... :) Hope this helps...

Thanks,
Prakash.

What i can say is yamaha amps are good their budget speakkers are not upto the mark.
Fingd if you get yamaha bundled with other speakers

Hemant

Thanks Kaushik

the yam 363 is a newer version of entry level v361 [the one i have ]

with added features
# iPod compatibility via Yamaha Universal Dock
# Bluetooth (A2DP) compatibility
#1080p compatible HDMI switching

these are somehow decent for normal usage ... the recievers
DSP modes like ROCK /JAZZ/HALL sound poor

for movie DOLBY PRO LOGIC and MOVIE modes are good

But the 463 gives much better audio output as it has
Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels and has slight better power output

take my advice go for 463 if u add a little go for dennon

good luck :)

Even yamaha 363 has separate 192/24bit DAC for individual channels, but they are not burr brown.

If 6K is not of a difference then go for 463. Else stick to 363.

Thanks,
Prakash

Thanks Prakash and Kaushik
I am going to buy this set on Sunday but I am still confuse for v363 and v463 coz price difference is almost 5k so if I will go with 463 is it worth of 5k?
Is major difference on performance with burr brown?
Thanks
Gaurav

to comment on 5k difference :)..i strongly suggest u listen with some CDs with tracks which have lott of Hi-frequency notes....dvds with action sequences ..etc if you feel u hear a good enough difference ...go for 463

with burr-brown chips the sound will be more smooth....i am sure music playback will be better ...
also the audio quality is not just based on the chip ..

every passive and active component thatz in the path of sound signal matters...

the 463 will have advanced circuits with better components...

my experiments with burr-brown OPA series Op-AMPs i have verified the same..although Analog devices Op-AMPs had same specs ..they sounded a little rough...

I am going to buy this set on Sunday but I am still confuse for v363 and v463 coz price difference is almost 5k so if I will go with 463 is it worth of 5k?
Thanks
Gaurav

See the performance of both, take your favourite cd's/dvd's and finalise. 5k diff for 463 is ok.

Thanks
Gaurav

between the 463 & 363 the 5K difference will pay off in a few months due to the YPAO and speaker connection etc. I have posted a link to cnet article comparing these. Search the forums to get an idea.

Hai Gaurav,
Few days back in another thread I had informed that Yamaha-RX-V-363 is available in Oman for 190 US$ ie approximately at 75 Omani Rials as per information given by by brother-in-law who is working in Muscat. Today my soninlaw is going to Turkey via Dubai where he will have 3 hours for change of flight . I hav asked him to purchase RX-V-363 if it is available within Rs.10k to 11k. Since U hav hinted that U can also get it from Singapore U will save lots of money if purchased in singapore. However before ordering pl. make sure that your local service centre for Yamaha A/V products will honour the warrenty and service backup for Yamaha AV receiver purchased outside India. However RX-V-363 is a good entry level AV Receiver. If U have enough Bank balance think ofYamaha RX-V-863 or Denon AVR-2309,
or AVR-1909.

R.Ramamurthy

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back