Advice needed for newbie regarding type of system

vivekecm

This is my first post in the audio components section. The forum helped me to buy my first TV Sammy PS50C6500. Now i need help and advice regarding the audio section. I am not even sure this is the right place to start my thread and seek help.

In my newly constructed home in Bangalore, the living room was fitted with branded speakers in ceiling itself. Though i am not sure what the brand is, I was assured by my dad that its a good one ;). I can see 4 speakers at the corners of room except for one corner towards left of TV since staircase comes up there. Instead the fifth speaker was fitted in adjacent kitchen which more or less makes up as the corner. I can post a picture to make the speaker setting clear.

The problem is, apart from speakers there is nothing set up. No control section nor any box to which the speakers can be connected. I like to watch movies and rest of viewing time would be channels from hathway STB. Being a newbie, i am not sure what has to be purchased if i want 5.1 surround (Not even sure if that is possible with current ceiling speaker setting if its possible). Will i need AV receiver or amplifier ? I would like the box whatever i intend to buy to give audio output from TV through speakers. Also need to connect WD TV live and blu ray player in near future. My budget is around 10k which can be stressed by few thousands. I am totally blank as to is required for my needs :sad:

I live in Bangalore and any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

vivek, Your ceiling speakers may do the job for providing mood/ambience music/ pa system in your home. Other than that, I dont see much scope for such a set up. For TV viewing it might do. But I would rather prefer a proper 5.1 HTIB/AVR with speakers.
So the big question, how much are you willing to spend on this?

I am posting the pics here to get idea of ceiling speaker setting in my hall.

Thanks iaudio, I dont get any sound from the ceiling speakers as there is not yet any control box. The speaker wires are not connected to anything. I think the speakers are supposed to be connected to something and then given the audio output from TV. But i am not sure to what the speakers can be connected to get sound. Also i intend to use the digital audio port present in my TV to the control box so that audio can be sent to speakers. For this control box, i am ready to invest 10k to 15k.

My original intention was to buy HTIB Onkyo HT-3300 but i did not realise the speakers were already purchased and fitted. Now i cannot spend the original amount which i kept aside. It will be ok for me if i get good ambiance for movies i watch on Sammy since as of now i am listening only from direct TV audio.

Attachments

• 1-TV Front.jpg
    1-TV Front.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 2-TV right side.jpg
    2-TV right side.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 3-TV Backside.jpg
    3-TV Backside.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 4-TV Right Far Corner.jpg
    4-TV Right Far Corner.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 6-TV back far corner and Kitchen speaker.jpg
    6-TV back far corner and Kitchen speaker.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 39
What you need is an amplifier to connect input from your tv. Then you will have to use speaker wires to connect your amplifiers output to the speakers.
Your speakers are not even placed on the left and right of your TV. Else move the TV to a position below the fan in the second picture(first row).
IMHO, I would dump the speakers and get a Logitech z5500 for about 16k, it has amp and speakers all together. It would serve you well for TV veiwing as well as good 5.1 for movies.

This is my first post in the audio components section. The forum helped me to buy my first TV Sammy PS50C6500. Now i need help and advice regarding the audio section. I am not even sure this is the right place to start my thread and seek help.

In my newly constructed home in Bangalore, the living room was fitted with branded speakers in ceiling itself. Though i am not sure what the brand is, I was assured by my dad that its a good one ;). I can see 4 speakers at the corners of room except for one corner towards left of TV since staircase comes up there. Instead the fifth speaker was fitted in adjacent kitchen which more or less makes up as the corner. I can post a picture to make the speaker setting clear.

The problem is, apart from speakers there is nothing set up. No control section nor any box to which the speakers can be connected. I like to watch movies and rest of viewing time would be channels from hathway STB. Being a newbie, i am not sure what has to be purchased if i want 5.1 surround (Not even sure if that is possible with current ceiling speaker setting if its possible). Will i need AV receiver or amplifier ? I would like the box whatever i intend to buy to give audio output from TV through speakers. Also need to connect WD TV live and blu ray player in near future. My budget is around 10k which can be stressed by few thousands. I am totally blank as to is required for my needs :sad:

I live in Bangalore and any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What you are trying to achieve is called "MultiRoom Home Audio" which is not a 5.1 or theater setup, though you can connect the spks in that config. A multiroom audio usually require a multizone amp, but in your case you have only one zone that is your living room so all you need is a conventional 2 channel amp, which would drive your 4 speaks in 2 front and 2 rear stereo mode. You can purchase any low cost 2 channel amp for this purpose which should not cost you more than 5-8K max.

For input you can use the casual RCA cable for the audio (from your TV)and connect any 2 spks for left and the other 2 for right (or vice versa) to the amp.

Now coming to WD Live and Bluray player, when these come in to the picture, things becomes different, I am sure after an investment of min 15-18K on a BRp and a Media player, you would not like to play them on a multiroom ceiling speakes. Multiroom configuration is always only for some casual listening like TV or Online/FM radio or some casual music that can act as background listing. For a proper movie experience with a BRp or a Media player a proper 5.1 setup like Onkyo 3300 or 5.1 spks with an independent AVR is a must.

Hope this helps

Regards
Sammy

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back