Advice Needed: Is it possible to connect 3 sources to a Stereo premp with 2 inputs

john_k_antony

Hi,

This would rather sound like a strange question. Here is my situation.

Lets say I have a stereo pre amp with 2 line level inputs. I need to connect minimum of 3 sources to this pre amp. They are

1. TT
2. CDP
3. Digital STB

At any given point of time, only one source will be playing and other 2 will be powered on, but will be on standby mode.

Now can I use a RCA "Y" splitter to connect 3 sources into 2 inputs of the pre amp? I thought of connecting the TT to one input of preamp and then use a RCA "Y" splitter with 1 male and 2 female to connect the CDP and STB to the second input of the preamp. I am planning to use this splitter - AudioQuest - Flexible Y- 1 Male RCA to 2 Female RCA's-Audio Advisor

Please let me know if this setup will work or I am looking at something totally impossible.

Thanks,
John.

Re: Advice Needed: Is it possible to connect 3 sources to a Stereo premp with 2 input

When any device is on stand-by, the outputs have 0V. So you are fine as long as you play only one source. But if you accidently switch on both sources connected to the "Y" splitter (combiner), one or both may blow out (the transistor at the output circuit). I am not sure, but that is my hypothesis.

Re: Advice Needed: Is it possible to connect 3 sources to a Stereo premp with 2 input

Ok I get it now. So there is a high risk involved with just using a splitter without a switch because if someone switches on both the devices connected to the splitter at the same time.

Thanks,
John.

the switch nSinghal posted is available locally at most electronics stores, though odds are higher that you would find it at SP road. else ebay should be fine.

Though I have had this problem once that the three devices had different grounds, and refused to work together - I suppose it's rare - you won't run into it usually

What are the possibilities of the switch degrading the sound signal ?

In my case I have not noticed any degradation in sound quality.

In my case I have not noticed any degradation in sound quality.

Hi,

So did you use the cheaper RCA switch mentioned earlier in the thread or the Audiophile grade ones that are $200+ ?

Thanks,
John.

I presume that your TT has line level outputs by that I mean that has an in built phono stage otherwise I do not see how you can connect the TT to the line level inputs off the stereo preamp

I have a phono stage connected to my TT. When I said connecting my TT to the preamp meant connecting the output of phono stage to the preamp. Sorry if I confused you guys :).

Hi john,

You can make a relay based switch, which sachu888 is having, it has 5 inputs, and one output. Pl PM him for details.

N.Murali

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back