Advice on buying active speakers

skroderider

I am a beginner - to owning and playing my own turntable, but not to listening (grew up listening to my dad's collection). I just bought a Rega RP1 after looking at the helpful advice in this forum's threads. I have bought a Pro-Ject Phono Box-E also, with it. Next for me is to buy the amp + speakers. Since I'm a bit constrained on budget I thought it might be a good idea to buy active speakers without an amp for the moment. Is that a good idea? What would you suggest I go for ? My budget is around 20k.

I am a beginner - to owning and playing my own turntable, but not to listening (grew up listening to my dad's collection). I just bought a Rega RP1 after looking at the helpful advice in this forum's threads. I have bought a Pro-Ject Phono Box-E also, with it. Next for me is to buy the amp + speakers. Since I'm a bit constrained on budget I thought it might be a good idea to buy active speakers without an amp for the moment. Is that a good idea? What would you suggest I go for ? My budget is around 20k.
Aufioengine A5+. Someone has put it up on sale on this forum. Excellent active speakers!

No harm checking with them

Thanks, I'll do that.

Btw, what do you think of these options (I understand from reviews that the A5+ is far better than any of these)

• Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers
  • Wharfedale Diamond 220 Bookshelf Speakers
  • Polk SP 15 (around 21.5k)

Thanks, I'll do that.

Btw, what do you think of these options (I understand from reviews that the A5+ is far better than any of these)

• Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers
  • Wharfedale Diamond 220 Bookshelf Speakers
  • Polk SP 15 (around 21.5k)
Sorry but i don't have experience with the products mentioned by you.

You can also look for a used integrated amp and speakers. The separate amp will give you the flexibility to attach multiple sources simultaneously.

Best wishes

Go for separates, will serve you way better long term. Save up and increase the budget.

The problem with actives is you'll need to throw everything away even if one component breaks down.

Finally, the AudioEngines are ok... really good actives are from Mackie and JBL. The JBLs are excellent speakers for what they cost, read the online reviews, lots of praise for them. If you plan to go the route of actives then the JBL or Mackie make the best sense, and also the JBLs are in your budget.

https://bhaleraoenterprises-proaudio.in/products/jbl-lsr305

Go for separates, will serve you way better long term. Save up and increase the budget.

The problem with actives is you'll need to throw everything away even if one component breaks down.

Finally, the AudioEngines are ok... really good actives are from Mackie and JBL. The JBLs are excellent speakers for what they cost, read the online reviews, lots of praise for them. If you plan to go the route of actives then the JBL or Mackie make the best sense, and also the JBLs are in your budget.

https://bhaleraoenterprises-proaudio.in/products/jbl-lsr305

Thank you for the suggestion. Regarding the JBL LSR305, I was looking at the online specs (not bought anything yet) and it says it has TRS/XLR inputs, whereas the phono I have has RCA output. I could find RCA->TRS/XLR converter cables online, but I'm not sure which one to buy. Each LSR has two inputs - says "Balanced Input" on top and one socket each for TRS and XLR (https://icdn2.digitaltrends.com/image/jbl-lsr305-spkrs-jackpanel-625x625.jpg).

The phono I have has two output slots - just Left and Right, and they are both RCA (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0730/1451/products/PJ-BD-PhonoBoxE-back_1024x1024.jpg?v=1423514533)

So am I right in thinking that I need two separate RCA to XLR cables or two separate RCA to TRS cables? Also I'm not sure if one is preferable over the other.

Sorry about all the newbie questions - I've never done this before.

Truthfully at the budget youre not going to get anything that does justice to a turntable esp when youve bought something like the rega. Imo you should buy a really good 2.1 computer speakers and save up for a good amp and speakers at a later stage

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back