Advice on TT, Phono and Cartridge

thanks to all of you for a healthy discussion and suggestions. I finally bought a Thoren TD 125 Mk II and SME 3009 tonearm. I am yet to buy the cartridge so I seek your advise once again.

Congrats!!!! A long and considered search ends in a classic table and an arm. Both highly rated. As to cartridge, why not a DL103 if your phono stage supports an MC? May be the Zu version. I am seriously toying with this idea, too. BTW, how's the condition of the plinth? Some photos are in order!
Joshua

Congrats!!!! A long and considered search ends in a classic table and an arm. Both highly rated. As to cartridge, why not a DL103 if your phono stage supports an MC? May be the Zu version. I am seriously toying with this idea, too. BTW, how's the condition of the plinth? Some photos are in order!
Joshua

Thanks. As of now I would pait it with Marantz PM 6003 MM jacks. However I hae head that there are some high output MC cartridges which can be paired.

The plinth is in very good condition. A service may be needed and some aesthetic work like polish would be most welcome.

Yeah. I hope to put pics soon.

thanks to all of you for a healthy discussion and suggestions. I finally bought a Thoren TD 125 Mk II and SME 3009 tonearm. I am yet to buy the cartridge so I seek your advise once again.

>>>

Terrific choice TaureanBull.
An MC is the way to go- will depend upon your downstream system specs.
Hope you find a network of friends who have Thorens here, for finetuning.
Enjoy the swirls.

Regards

Ok guys i am back with discussion on the choice of the cartridge.

Tonearm
: SME 3009 Type II Improved
TT : Thorens TD Mk II
Amp : Marantz PM 6003 (inbuilt MM phono stage). Its the one which is going to be used for some time at least.

I have homed on to the following:-

AT 440MLa MM : $200
Ortofon 2M Red MM : $90
Denon 110 MC : $160

Can some one guide me as to what should be my choice for my setup to get the best performance? I am not considering the Shure V15 series as all of them are used ones and demanding a premium which I believe is undeserved.

I am open to more suggestions MM/MC. My maximum budget is $200.

Guys, I am starting this new thread in this section because I could not get a response in my other threads probably the title did not give an indication.

I would be going to UK in April end to begin with. I have been eyeing Technics-1200 Mk2 for some time which is disappearing from shelves pretty fast. Where can I get this TT (new) in India? Price? I assume a used one is out of question. Does it make sense to buy it from UK? Shall I go for a used TT as there are some very good deals going on UK! :licklips:

Should I be looking at another TT since its prices have shot up recently? What would be my options for an equally good TT in the same price range.

I plan to use it with Marantz PM6003 (which also I would be buying). The amp has a phono stage. Do I need an additional phonostage? Any suggestions on this?

Which MM cartridge is best for this TT? I have heard of M97XE Shure and M44-7H Cartridges.

uk IS A HOTBED FOR TURNTABLES you may find it in ebay uk, you may try audi-technica LP 120 direct drive tt it has the same specifications and is in production costs $ 120 in USA, the MM catridge is good, dont think of using Shure 44-7 it is not meant for Hifi it is for DJs, you may try goldring or grado instead

uk IS A HOTBED FOR TURNTABLES you may find it in ebay uk, you may try audi-technica LP 120 direct drive tt it has the same specifications and is in production costs $ 120 in USA, the MM catridge is good, dont think of using Shure 44-7 it is not meant for Hifi it is for DJs, you may try goldring or grado instead

Too late. Read posts above. I have already bought a Thorens TD125 MkII. Hunt for cartridge. Looks like I would settle for AT440MLa.

Ok guys i am back with discussion on the choice of the cartridge.

Tonearm
: SME 3009 Type II Improved
TT : Thorens TD Mk II
Amp : Marantz PM 6003 (inbuilt MM phono stage). Its the one which is going to be used for some time at least.

I have homed on to the following:-

AT 440MLa MM : $200
Ortofon 2M Red MM : $90
Denon 110 MC : $160

Can some one guide me as to what should be my choice for my setup to get the best performance? I am not considering the Shure V15 series as all of them are used ones and demanding a premium which I believe is undeserved.

I am open to more suggestions MM/MC. My maximum budget is $200.

AFAIK Denon carts go well with SME tonearms. Go for Denon DL-103 .
Regards
Vasu

Hi,

AFAIK Denon carts go well with SME tonearms. Go for Denon DL-103 .

The Dl-103 will work in the in the SME 3009 Type II Improved (fixed headshell if I am not mistaken) tonearm that
TaureanBull has, but it is not the ideal cartridge for this arm. The Denon is low compliance and the SME 3009 Improved is a low mass arm (6.5gr mass) and not the best match at all.

There are mods/ workarounds to use the DL103 in this arm but then one would be better off getting the SME 3009 non improved version

This arm has plasic knife edge bearings and was designed for high compliance cartridges.

The DL 301 is high compliance and will work,but still not ideal.The MC carts put out a lot of energy and the plastic bearings of the improved 3009 do not handle this well.

It is best to use a high compliance MM type that this arm was designed for.

From the other posts I see that TaureanBull has shortlisted the AT 440 .This is a good cartridge and will work well.

@TaureanBull, try changing the original Thorens mat for a thicker rubber mat,or a cork mat to damp out the ringing of the TD125 platter.

I have a rubber mat from Mayware (the guys who used to make the Formula IV tonearm) and it works well.I am using it on my TD124 now.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv,

Would it help Taurean bull if he changed the plastic knife edge bearings to metal after market ones that are available? Would that make the arm a match with the DL 103?

regards

Hi ,

Hi Rajiv,

Would it help Taurean bull if he changed the plastic knife edge bearings to metal after market ones that are available? Would that make the arm a match with the DL 103?

regards

@Steven,The 3009 uses nylon bearings not plastic as I mistakenly posted in my previous post.:eek:

Yes he can change the bearings to original SME metal or the aftermarket bronze ones,but in my opinion he will better off keeping the arm as is and using a high compliance cartridge.

The SME 3009 improved is a good arm and used with an appropriate cartridge is capable of making very good music.

Regards
Rajiv

Guys, I have a Cosmic make TT, model BD 2000. I want a new cartridge for it. What model of Shure cartridge will fit? Or are there any places in India where I can procure it?

Makarand

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back