Advice on TT, Phono and Cartridge

TaureanBull

Guys, I am starting this new thread in this section because I could not get a response in my other threads probably the title did not give an indication.

I would be going to UK in April end to begin with. I have been eyeing Technics-1200 Mk2 for some time which is disappearing from shelves pretty fast. Where can I get this TT (new) in India? Price? I assume a used one is out of question. Does it make sense to buy it from UK? Shall I go for a used TT as there are some very good deals going on UK! :licklips:

Should I be looking at another TT since its prices have shot up recently? What would be my options for an equally good TT in the same price range.

I plan to use it with Marantz PM6003 (which also I would be buying). The amp has a phono stage. Do I need an additional phonostage? Any suggestions on this?

Which MM cartridge is best for this TT? I have heard of M97XE Shure and M44-7H Cartridges.

Sorry last 3-4 days was stuck in many things

1) I am NOT expert in TTs ,I am shure there arew "Atirathis - And -Maharathis) here ,and I am beginer in front of them

2) My analysis is purely based of commercial logioc

3) As per all my readings SL 1200 is Grast turntable -but suited for DJs .I never went to any pub or disco to listen fine variations of musiuc and pick up fine differences ..Got my point ? The design philosophy is different

4) For DJ use it is overbuilt ,but that makes it heavy.It MAY eat all your weight allowance and you may be knowing OVERWEIGHT ALLOWANCE is very very high ( Expert comments?)On amazon box pack weight is 15 KG

5) Many people recommending change of cart for SL 1200 , some even change of tonearm,but again some TTs available without Cart and Arm,why not select those

6) Many brands like Pro-Ject ,Rega ,clearaudio are considered far better than SL 1200 ( Maybe some models)

7) AGAIN SL 1200 is CULT TT.PERIOD .AND IT IS DEAD NOW.SO COLLECTORS MADNESS IS SET IN! Prices are pumped like crazy. Just now I can see Price of GBP 750 ..which is equivalant to INR 54 K!1210 is more expensive @840 gbp.Claimed only 1 piece remaining . And whenyou check the prices regularly you see that these are not constant.So you may end up paying GBP 850 or more!

8) If you are brand crazy ( I am!) ,and want SL 1200 at any cost ,please go for it .

But of yOu want get most bang for bucks ,1200 is not the most logical choice.

IF YOU WANT TO SHARE CAN YOU SHARE YOUR MAX BUDGER AND WEIGHT ALLOWANCE?

MEMBERS CAN WE HELP THIS FRIEND TO SELECT BEST IN HIS BUDGET?

Hi Taurean Bull

Most turntables in the SL 1200 price range cannot be tweaked . The SL 1200 it is a little dark and closed sounding table. However changing the arm to a Rega and using the Denon DL103 cartridge can really open up the sound. Also changing the power supply to a KAB one is a highly recommended upgrade. If you are a tweaker, go for a SL 1200. Also check out KAB ELECTRO ACOUSTICS for more ideas on tweaking a SL 1200.

Thanks.

Weight no issues as I am margining that (I am travelling with family) so 15Kg can be adjusted. No issues.

What you are missing Hemant is that I would get 20% VAT off that price!!! :licklips: So, 800 would become 640 and like that. There are several used TT offers on ebay UK. There are some really good deals with twin TTs, amps, speakers and lots of vinyls for about 300-400 GBP. Just trying to rope in my friend in UK to share the spoil in which case the TT with vinyls will cost me something like 150GBP. Deal? :)

There are some really good deals with twin TTs, amps, speakers and lots of vinyls for about 300-400 GBP. something like 150GBP. Deal? :)

Such lots are from DJs who are getting out of the business or have moved to digital. The vinyl would be subjected to scratching (please ask a DJ to explain what is this) and the whole system most likely subjected to to extreme abuse.

Regards,

>>>

TaureanBull,

You haven't given any reasons for selecting the Technics. Going by your initial post, it seems you are attracted by its price.

You might like to audition other (both used and new) turntable-tonearm-cartridge combos/brands in the UK, such as the Pro-Ject. Music Hall or even the entry level Clear Audio. How about checking out the 'new' Garrard 501 from Garrard-Loricraft? UK provides many choices for turntables.

Once you spell out your rationale ( sound quality, budget, any technical preferences - unsuspended/suspended, tonearm type, after market service potential in India and so on) the experts here will be able to advise better.

Regards
issigonis

>>>
You haven't given any reasons for selecting the Technics. Going by your initial post, it seems you are attracted by its price.

You might like to audition other (both used and new) turntable-tonearm-cartridge combos/brands in the UK, such as the Pro-Ject. Music Hall or even the entry level Clear Audio. How about checking out the 'new' Garrard 501 from Garrard-Loricraft? UK provides many choices for turntables.

Once you spell out your rationale ( sound quality, budget, any technical preferences - unsuspended/suspended, tonearm type, after market service potential in India and so on) the experts here will be able to advise better.

Its all based on the reviews. If you talk about price I am not at impressed and rather I am buying it with a pinch. In India its costing about 65K now and in UK about 35-40K new piece. This is the max I can spend after stretching my budget.

I am going for a holiday to UK so I can not spend days in auditioning equipment. I will have one day to shop and there are so many other things to shop too. :)

There is no rationale and I am ready for opinions on any other TT in same price range.Let me tell you that I have been asking many times in the forum but have got no real advice. It leaves me to think that either there are n't many people who can give advice or they dont want to.

If I ask this then may be some one would say I should do my research. So I did and found it to my liking.

After all its a forum, no one is bound to reply to the threads! :p

@Taureanbull:
I would seriously recommend a Pro-ject RPM 5 table with the stock rondo red cart.
You can get it at a real good price from the UK.
It is a sub USD 1000 table that is really worth the money.

I recommend it over the Technics 1200 on various counts, the most important being:
Better SQ.

the technics 1200 TT is meant for DJ use. I find the 1200 to be very bass heavy. for home/audiophile listening we need a more refined presentation. Not that, that the 1200 won't respond to tweaks and hence allow for way better SQ, but then, that another level of monetary and time investment.

The RPM 5 would be in the same price bracket and will deliver the goods, straight out of the box. It is also very easy to set it up...

The next thing is: spare parts.

With the 1200 going out of production, i personally would not invest in a DD table. As one would be in quite a situation when one would need to replace the motor - its heart...

that's just my two bits...

here is a review of the RPM 5:
6moons audio reviews: Pro-Ject RPM-5 & Ortofon Rondo Red

I found that this one has a motor buzz sound especially when played for long times. Still it has good reviews.

How about the rega TTs? Any other TT?

the rega P series are supposed to be very good too. In fact they are very well respected all over the world. the project TT's are similar to them.

TB,

Malvai is spot on with his suggestion on Pro-ject RPM 5.1 and Rega. You can get the Rega P3-24 TT. I think they are priced comparably. The standard cartridge with the P3-24 is the Rega Exact2. However, many people do not like that cartridge. The Rega tonearm is very highly regarded for its price. In UK, dealers offer other cartridges (perhaps with a Ortofon 2M Red, Blue or Black) with the P3-24. You can also get a separate power supply unit with this TT and that enhances the performance by quite a notch, according to reports. Some dealers in UK offer a combo price.

Regards.
PS: Where did you hear about the problems with the RPM 5.1? Would you kindly let ne know? I am considering this table seriously, because I cannot spend anything more than that at the moment. The Rega dealer in Pune is very slow and unresponsive, otherwise I'd consider the Rega also.

I read it in vinylengine forum. (not sure if its ok to mention other forums here). But looks like that was the case with RPM 6.1SB. Possibly that was a freak case.

My special thanks to issigonis, malvai and you for bringing life to this thread and giving some valuable advise.

I am really considering these two TTs. I did like the technics but I was also perturbed about the long term spares and services issues.

Do you have any links to Rega and Pro-Ject TT stores and offers in UK?

Any other TT?

Hi,

Since you are going to the UK and are planning to carry the TT back have a look at this .

THORENS 125 MK2 / SME 3009 / MAPLE PLINTH / SHURE V15 | eBay UK

For the price(approx Rs. 35,0000) it is a very good package.It is a very musical combination,and in my opinion betters the Rega P3.

I must add that I have not heard the Rega P3-24, Manav has mentioned but have heard other Rega P3's and felt that the Thorens TT's (the TD 150 ,TD160 etc) were better.

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have decided to buy a new piece.

Moreover, It will cost me more than the Pro-Ject RPM 5 since I will not be able to claim VAT return on this one.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have decided to buy a new piece.

Moreover, It will cost me more than the Pro-Ject RPM 5 since I will not be able to claim VAT return on this one.

Taurean Bull. from all i have read, i would also recommend what rajiv has recommended. the thoren is a classic and a good bargain at that price. it will go up several notches with better tonearms/cartridges in the future.

Taurean Bull. from all i have read, i would also recommend what rajiv has recommended. the thoren is a classic and a good bargain at that price. it will go up several notches with better tonearms/cartridges in the future.

i agree with arj - largely. but there is something going for the RPM5.1 in terms of simplicity... and with the materials used. its a modern TT and will definitely shine in various aspects even in its stock form.

both, IMHO, have their own strengths.

Actually the motor sound problem seems to be there as I investigate further for Pro-Ject RPM 5.

I hate the pulley belt changing system for 33/45 RPMs in Rega!

Whoof! Back to square one. Again it looks like Technics.

hmmm...actually used option gives a wide variety of choices. I see some linn Sondek lp12 :licklips: being sold at 600GBP rate fully serviced and with tonearm and cartridge.

That does increase my budget. Is it really worth it. The used way opens entirely new options.

Actually the motor sound problem seems to be there as I investigate further for Pro-Ject RPM 5.

I hate the pulley belt changing system for 33/45 RPMs in Rega!

Whoof! Back to square one. Again it looks like Technics.

As far as I know most Pro-ject TTs also have this speed-change issue (the RPM may be the exception). They usually expect you to cough up extra for an electronic "Speed box"

Guys, I am starting this new thread in this section because I could not get a response in my other threads probably the title did not give an indication.

I would be going to UK in April end to begin with. I have been eyeing Technics-1200 Mk2 for some time which is disappearing from shelves pretty fast. Where can I get this TT (new) in India? Price? I assume a used one is out of question. Does it make sense to buy it from UK? Shall I go for a used TT as there are some very good deals going on UK! :licklips:

Should I be looking at another TT since its prices have shot up recently? What would be my options for an equally good TT in the same price range.

I plan to use it with Marantz PM6003 (which also I would be buying). The amp has a phono stage. Do I need an additional phonostage? Any suggestions on this?

Which MM cartridge is best for this TT? I have heard of M97XE Shure and M44-7H Cartridges.

Linn Sondek LP 12 Lingo Ittok is alltime favourite turntables
Roksan Xerexes, Michell Gyro SE are superior to TechnicsSL 1200
Clear Audio Emotion is another good choice. reg phono cartridges
look for one in Ortofon or Grado

vv rao

Back