Advice Please

vicky212

Hello Audiophiles,

I am new to this forum and also completely new as an audiiphile (don't know whether I am one or not). I do like to listen to various kinds of music mostly concentrating on indian string instruments like sitar, sarod, santoor etc. I am also a fan of rabindra sangeet, rock and roll, pop, country and jazz. Previously I had a good music system (Sony MiniHifi G70). However it doesn't woprk any more and I have mostly been listening to music over my phone with a pair of Bose headphones for the past few years. I really wish to have a dedicated music system at my home. My budget is around 60k. I would really appreciate if the members of this forum can offer me some advice.

Hi vicky :)

Welcome to the forum :)

We all here love spending other peoples money :D

So an opening post with a suggestion for purchase with a clearly revealed budget, makes you immediately likeable :D

And I also think you've seen "chak de" too many times, as your location shows as india :D

Iam sure lots of folks will pounce on this thread soon enough, with much better suggestions than I can ever muster . So welcome again, and do enjoy your stay here bro :)

Hi vicky :)

Welcome to the forum :)

We all here love spending other peoples money :D

So an opening post with a suggestion for purchase with a clearly revealed budget, makes you immediately likeable :D

And I also think you've seen "chak de" too many times, as your location shows as india :D

Iam sure lots of folks will pounce on this thread soon enough, with much better suggestions than I can ever muster . So welcome again, and do enjoy your stay here bro :)
Thank you Sir. Yes I am from India and it’s quite a challenge here to get a reliable stereo system with soulful rendition.

try hifimart, they have good options

Hello Audiophiles,

I am new to this forum and also completely new as an audiiphile (don't know whether I am one or not). I do like to listen to various kinds of music mostly concentrating on indian string instruments like sitar, sarod, santoor etc. I am also a fan of rabindra sangeet, rock and roll, pop, country and jazz. Previously I had a good music system (Sony MiniHifi G70). However it doesn't woprk any more and I have mostly been listening to music over my phone with a pair of Bose headphones for the past few years. I really wish to have a dedicated music system at my home. My budget is around 60k. I would really appreciate if the members of this forum can offer me some advice.
Hello
Vicky
Welcome to our forum. I am glad to know that you like Rabindrasangeet which is my favourite genre. As regards your query you can go for marantz wharefedal diamond combo in your budget. But you haven't told us about your sources apart from your mobile phone. If you have TT, CDP, tape deck this combo is satisfactory. In this pandemic situation auditioning will be a difficult task. But believe your ears, please don't hurry, rather research , read a lot about various amps, speakers and then decide . I would advise you to audition if possible, listen to more than one amp and speakers before taking the plunge. One thing more, choose your speakers according to your room first then buy an amp which can drive your speakers at ease. Please don't forget to keep us updated.
Cheers

Welcome to HFV...

A lot also depends on the Source, like Spotify/CD/Vinyl. To start with you need two Bookshelf speakers, based on your listening preference, Acoustics 3020i (Around 25K) is worth considering. Now, once you decide on your source, the next task to find a suitable DAC/Amplifier.

Welcome to hifivision. All of us have travelled through single box music system like a Sony G70 you have. I was having AIWA system with CD/ Cassette and a Panasonic music system. I was very happy with it and there was one Philips 242 player too. But now the same ears don't like even though my savings are quietly vanishing sometimes for CDs and sometimes for vinyls. Multiple amplifiers, CD players, DAC, headphones etc don't seemingly sound that great. So my suggestions for you please keep those 60k for investments in SIP mutual funds which will fetch good amount. Your good old friend i.e. your phone is however not that bad.

On a budget, second hand gear is great place to start, you can even try OLX post covid ofcourse.

Hello Audiophiles,

Hi Vickey,

Good to see you starting your journey with a similar budget (60,000) I had 2 weeks back.

The forum is very addictive ..... the more you read the post the deeper you will have the urge to increase the budget .... now I have sold my kidney. :D:D

I am no expert and have not heard any of the stuff I am going to mention but just by reading and talking to a lot of people have figured out following

If you are looking to stick to 60K or increase your budget to 70K here are some options for your listening pleasure - for sure not for the audiophile game.

- https://www.headphonezone.in/collections/topping/products/topping-mx3 - this is an AMP + DAC for a small set of the speaker - 12K

- Marantz PM5005 (only amp) under 25k / PM6007 (amp+DAC) 42K / PM6006 is an old model n I felt it made no sense as there was no much benefit to investing an additional 10K (from5005).

- If you have 60K to invest 50:50 on AMP and Speaker and add DAC in the months to come - else there will be a lot of compromises.

FM's said that Qacoutic and Wharfedale are a good fit for Marantz products.

Just to share - after spending 15 days in the group I finally ordered Marantz NR1200 and about to finalize an Indian-made brand Indiqaudio (there are more such brands) and they can be played with the smallest of amplifiers.

Gyaan ki samaapti. ;);)

All the best, Cheers.

Thank you Sir. Yes I am from India and it’s quite a challenge here to get a reliable stereo system with soulful rendition.
Now that is not quite true at least if you are in one of the bigger cities. Just spell out where you are and members will be here with you suggesting which places to visit and audition systems, of course at the moment that is a bit difficult but hopefully there is a dawn at the end of this nightmare.

It has been suggested earlier in one of the posts and it is a sound suggestion, you can get really good audio gear used and get a lot more value for money if going used, keep that in mind.

I would also suggest auditioning Norge audio products, they are an Indian brand who have been making value for money products for almost 50 years now.

Also importantly decide whether you want your system to do double duty (music plus home theatre, I know sacrilege! :)) as some members would point out. But a double duty also involves a family something you should consider and if you get their approval you may be able to up the budget!

Amp - Marantz PM 6006 or Norge Concerto Gold + Value DAC like Topping/Schiit
Speakers - India Diamond Mishra, Gold Mishra, ELac Debut 5.2/6.2, Q Accoustics 3020i/3030i, Missiol LX2/QX2.

If you can audition nothing like it.

Last edited:
You can try the group buy for Indiqaudio speakers and amp, it hase rave reviews by fellow members

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back