Advise on Speakers primarily for Music

Venkat,
Not just me, there were so many people who desperately wished that it should compete with 740C or above. As at $400 it looked it will be as good as $1200 740C. However, that didn't seem to have happened. Technically though close, the output stage and power supply are different and I think are causing this difference. Also, there is no guarantee that the implementation of the same chips are actually same. As much I wanted it to sound good, every other report including Asit, seems to show less enthusiasm when compared with high end. When coming from a no DAC or cheap DAC there is a lot of enthusiasm from the user while the high end users typically comment that its good value for the money.

I think the original question was posed by a non-audiophile user who simply wants to listen to his mp3s or ALC format music loud and thumpy nice :)

We should not pose expensive dilemmas and confuse him further. If hes not happy with an iPOD <> AVR connection he can spend $$$ on a seperate transport/DAC later after a few months. To begin with this simple setup might actually satisfy him :)

cheers

gobble, I am surprised you assumed that the OP wanted it just loud and thumpy. Atleast I didn't think so. Anyway, these are options that he has to listen for himself and decide.

I think the original question was posed by a non-audiophile user who simply wants to listen to his mp3s or ALC format music loud and thumpy nice :)

cheers

Err when one is spending over a lac on a setup it better be something better than simply "loud and thumpy" :p. That is serious money.

A really nice and serious option is the recently launched Peachtree Audio Nova which is quite well reviewed by 6moons recently.

Its a DAC+Tube Pre+Solid state power+USB input all in one. The DAC section is based upon a Scott Nixon design and might be especially good. I remember Sridhar tell me the original version was around 75000 or so which is well within the budget. Might be a super option for a person like him who listens to music on a computer.

Last edited:
Gopi, ROC. This is getting really funny. Jagdish wants a simple way of playing his MP3s through an AVR. He wants to enjoy music and movies. That is all.

This thread would be getting more and more confusing for me, if I were wearing Jagdish's shoes.

Cheers

Gopi, ROC. This is getting really funny. Jagdish wants a simple way of playing his MP3s through an AVR. He wants to enjoy music and movies. That is all.

This thread would be getting more and more confusing for me, if I were wearing Jagdish's shoes.

Cheers

Err he hasn't bought any AVR yet. Infact he hasn't bought anything yet. If the speakers are primarily for music, I don't see a reason why he'd want to buy an AVR in the first place.

Venkat,
I was actually replying to gobble's comments without seeing yours.
As for your suggestion, I think there are couple of things to think here:
1. ipod + wadia + dac
or
2. PC + Wifi Transport + DAC -- this is the option that I favor and I am myself onto.
The reason primarily is that ipod and Wadia, though can techincally give the same sound quality, we are seriously limited by what ipod does.
Secondly, we are restricted by the Hard Disk size and I have to say that is some serious limitation. I recently converted 4 Movie CD's to lossless files and 1GB was gone. That to me means, that even a 160GB ipod cannot hold more than 600 albums. This might seem a lot, but it is still a limiting factor, when you think that in the second option you can actually have it limitless. Also, regarding the formats that can be played is endless with PC vs ipod. You are stuck with iTunes for organizing as against ipod, though I really like ipod. Last, but the best thing is that you actually have the beautiful computer as your user interface, instead of that of ipod. Searching by typing in is awesome and quick. You can form dynamic smart lists and even listen to online radio's etc.
The options are limitless to me with a PC + Wifi Transport. So, thats my favourite. Now, if the user has the mp3's in quite some lossy formats, then still we can go for the second option and buy a cheaper DAC.

So, for his budget my recommendation will be, assuming he has a PC and a hard disk:
1. Apple Airport Express for 5k
2. Beresford for 8k or Cambridge Audio DACmagic 24k
or
1. Squeezebox Duet for 20k
+
NAD C355bee or Marantz PM7003 or Cambridge Audio 640A - 30k
+
Monitor Audio RS6 or Dali Ikon 6 - 70k
+
Cables and interconnects - 5k

Thanks to all of you once again for the suggestions. This is now entering the real Hi Fi area and part of it is going over my head.

Here is what I have decided after reading the thread and also I have added some additional queries.

a) Speakers: Dali Ikon 6 or MA RS6. Yet to decide. Further inputs welcome.
b) I will not go for a separate DAC and instead go with Venkats suggestion of NAD T 755. I am not sure of the price and would welcome inputs.
c) I see merits in both Venkats and Gopis suggestions for the source feed. IPOD/Wadia vs. PC / Wi Fi Transport. Yet to decide. Probably both in the long term.
d) I have few queries addressed to Gopi on connectivity: My PC does not have an inbuilt wireless and I use a Dlink- Wireless router for connecting to my Lap top. Will the Apple express connect to the router or do I need to buy an additional Apple base station for connecting the PC? (I do not want to use the lap top). Also do I need to buy any special 3.5 mm Jack cable for connecting the digital output of the Apple express to the NAD?
e) Why is the squeeze box so expensive compared to Apple Express. The basic function seems to be Wi Fi transport of music files. Are there any other advantages?

We should not pose expensive dilemmas and confuse him further. If hes not happy with an iPOD <> AVR connection he can spend $$$ on a seperate transport/DAC later after a few months. To begin with this simple setup might actually satisfy him :)

cheers

You got it bang on. I will start with a simple set up intially.

Err he hasn't bought any AVR yet. Infact he hasn't bought anything yet. If the speakers are primarily for music, I don't see a reason why he'd want to buy an AVR in the first place.

Definitely I do not want my music loud and thumpy. My preference is on clear tones at low volumes. (not sure if this is the correct Audiophile's terminology).

Regarding why an AVR - I am not a real audiophile and am not sure that i will be able to differentiate / perceive a slightly lower quality music from of AVR compared to an Amp.
Also want to have the Movie - HT option for teh future.

I am really getting educated in the process and wont mind additional options/ conflicting views.

Definitely I do not want my music loud and thumpy. My preference is on clear tones at low volumes. (not sure if this is the correct Audiophile's terminology).

Regarding why an AVR - I am not a real audiophile and am not sure that i will be able to differentiate / perceive a slightly lower quality music from of AVR compared to an Amp.

I am really getting educated in the process and wont mind additional options/ conflicting views.

If you buy either of the speakers you said you wished to purchase, you'd end up noticing differences even between integrated amps. To be completely blunt, any AVR will sound like dog p00p with a good speaker. If your system is going to be purely for music, you'd want it to do the best possible in that domain. Don't restrict yourself to a mediocre AVR thats neither good with music, nor with video.

If you buy either of the speakers you said you wished to purchase, you'd end up noticing differences even between integrated amps. To be completely blunt, any AVR will sound like dog p00p with a good speaker. If your system is going to be purely for music, you'd want it to do the best possible in that domain. Don't restrict yourself to a mediocre AVR thats neither good with music, nor with video.

OK noted . Thanks for being so direct. I will try and listen with both set ups. Though not sure if any of the dealers in Hyderabad will have both readily.

I agree here. An AVR will not do for music. You will be better served with an amp stereo setup.

In Hyderabad start with Babukhan Mall and Prasads for the demo. Also, Onkyo authorized dealer at Ameerpet, Vector at Nagarjuna Circle. You can check out Yamaha at X-Cite at Ashok Metropolitan Mall. Reliance Digital and E-Zone do not stock high end models, more entry level.

I have heard the Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 and you would not go wrong with them.

Jagadish,
Regd the connectivity questions, Airport express can be connected to DLink.
You do need a 3.5mm special adaptor for connecting to a DAC and a normal 3.5mm to 2RCA/3.5mm for connecting to amps directly. Squeezebox is costlier because of 2 reasons : The DAC inside Squeezebox is very good compared to Airport express and you can use that standalone instead of adding a DAC seperatly. Also, squeezbox comes with a seperate software with lots of features on handling music or internet radio etc;

Jagadish,
Regd the connectivity questions, Airport express can be connected to DLink.
You do need a 3.5mm special adaptor for connecting to a DAC and a normal 3.5mm to 2RCA/3.5mm for connecting to amps directly. Squeezebox is costlier because of 2 reasons : The DAC inside Squeezebox is very good compared to Airport express and you can use that standalone instead of adding a DAC seperatly. Also, squeezbox comes with a seperate software with lots of features on handling music or internet radio etc;

The NAD c325BEE has a 3.5mm input jack for MPs/iPODs. No need for a RCA cable.

Cheers

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back