Airtel xtreme box and 5.1 channel issue

kiranjoshi7

I have LG C8 OLED. Purchased airtel xtreme box recently. Airtel DTH is attached to LG TV via HDMI cable. HDMI ARC carries audio from LG TV to Pioneer AVR. I can enjoy 5.1 channel experience when I watch OTT via LG C8 directly or via Fire tv 4k stick. But I am unable to get 5.1 channel audio on airtel DTH OTT (Android interface) as well as airtel cable channels (Star, Sony so on).
How to resolve this issue?

I have LG C8 OLED. Purchased airtel xtreme box recently. Airtel DTH is attached to LG TV via HDMI cable. HDMI ARC carries audio from LG TV to Pioneer AVR. I can enjoy 5.1 channel experience when I watch OTT via LG C8 directly or via Fire tv 4k stick. But I am unable to get 5.1 channel audio on airtel DTH OTT (Android interface) as well as airtel cable channels (Star, Sony so on).
Check if Airtel STB is set to put out 5.1
Cheers,
Raghu

On my Airtel DTH box, under User/Audio settings, there is an option for Audio to be output in LPCM/DD/DD+. You should find this setting and enable the desired one.

I am also planning to buy Xstream 4k Box from Airtel. Does this box support surround sound? Please let me know your feedback so I can decide.
I am looking for surround sound for audio output like DD/DD+ and DTS.
Also to use the OTT content in this box, Do I need to subscriber to their DTH packages ?
Any feedback ia appreciated!!

I am looking for surround sound for audio output like DD/DD+ and DTS.
Also to use the OTT content in this box, Do I need to subscriber to their DTH packages ?
Only Stereo/DD/DD+ (DD+ including compressed DD Atmos) are supported on OTT services currently, there is lot of room for improvement I would say, even in these 3 limited formats.
Except the packages that Airtel bundles in its offer, you need to subscribe to all other providers.

i recently bought a mi box 4k impulsively from a fellow-member here, but now thinking to move over to something that supports surround sound audio streams, like the firestick 4k & airtel xstream box. am already a user of airtel xstream fiber & landline, so to me the xstream box would cost only 1500/- deposit and that too is refundable. should i buy it?

i heard from a friend that the UI of the xstream box is not very responsive or smooth. is that true?

i dont watch dth except some news channels sometimes. however we have a tata sky hd+ at home since years as my mother watches dth channels. so the xstream box will take its place. a recorder is must for me & i got to know from airtel that the xstream box does have it. my mother doesnt live in india but since the lockdown has been stuck here. she'll move back in a couple of months' time, & then i'll use the xstream box solely for OTT-viewing (amzn prime usually). till now before getting the mi box, i had been using my xbox one to watch this. but using a remote supplied with mi box/xstream box/firestick is anyday better than using the xb1 controller i thought, and indeed found it so too.

so can anybody pls tell whether the UI of xstream box is responsive and gives good user-experience, as well as about surround-sound support?

Hi Kiran,

Even im using Xtream Box, initial days i was worried for the same 5.1 o/p for few channels. later after doing out the search i found it the channel streaming from satellite o/p is 5.1 or not . as Zee streams 2.1 & star stream 5.1 dolby sound so on check the channels u r looking for sattelite streaming with 5.1 dolby audio or not..

Have you tried connecting Digital out of your Airtel box directly to AVR? I use Tata Sky and Sony TV, in my case I couldn't get 5.1 output from TV but when I connected toslink out to processor , I could get 5.1 output.

i recently bought a mi box 4k impulsively from a fellow-member here, but now thinking to move over to something that supports surround sound audio streams, like the firestick 4k & airtel xstream box. am already a user of airtel xstream fiber & landline, so to me the xstream box would cost only 1500/- deposit and that too is refundable. should i buy it?

i heard from a friend that the UI of the xstream box is not very responsive or smooth. is that true?

i dont watch dth except some news channels sometimes. however we have a tata sky hd+ at home since years as my mother watches dth channels. so the xstream box will take its place. a recorder is must for me & i got to know from airtel that the xstream box does have it. my mother doesnt live in india but since the lockdown has been stuck here. she'll move back in a couple of months' time, & then i'll use the xstream box solely for OTT-viewing (amzn prime usually). till now before getting the mi box, i had been using my xbox one to watch this. but using a remote supplied with mi box/xstream box/firestick is anyday better than using the xb1 controller i thought, and indeed found it so too.

so can anybody pls tell whether the UI of xstream box is responsive and gives good user-experience, as well as about surround-sound support?

Mibox is way better than xstream box...
Xstream box disadvantages
1.u need to recharge dth atleast with minimum (153 per month) to use the ott apps.. Else ur box will b totally blocked.
2. It sends all audio in the highest surround format supported by ur AVR. Dolby digital+ encoded signal even for 2 ch stereo. Problem is it pads blank 3.1 channels with stereo audio so ur avr thinks it receives dd+ but is is actually stereo with blank center,surround and subwoofer channels and avr just passes it thru.
3. HDR is also a issue if ur tv supports it. Distorted hdr output for non hdr content.

U can look for downgrading mibox to 8.0 (true hd and all surround formats) or 8.1 (pcm 7.1 for true hd / other 5.1 like dd+/dts work fine) ...there r dedicated telegram channels with guides/help.

Alternates do not give advantage as of now... Both firestick 4k and xstream box do not support truehd... Only atmos over DD+ (prime app supported but not in netflix in firestick AND viceversa in xstream dd+atmos on netflix but not on prime)

Nvidia shield pro is the only device with all format support and ott support.

Mibox is way better than xstream box...
Xstream box disadvantages
1.u need to recharge dth atleast with minimum (153 per month) to use the ott apps.. Else ur box will b totally blocked.
2. It sends all audio in the highest surround format supported by ur AVR. Dolby digital+ encoded signal even for 2 ch stereo. Problem is it pads blank 3.1 channels with stereo audio so ur avr thinks it receives dd+ but is is actually stereo with blank center,surround and subwoofer channels and avr just passes it thru.
3. HDR is also a issue if ur tv supports it. Distorted hdr output for non hdr content.

U can look for downgrading mibox to 8.0 (true hd and all surround formats) or 8.1 (pcm 7.1 for true hd / other 5.1 like dd+/dts work fine) ...there r dedicated telegram channels with guides/help.

Alternates do not give advantage as of now... Both firestick 4k and xstream box do not support truehd... Only atmos over DD+ (prime app supported but not in netflix in firestick AND viceversa in xstream dd+atmos on netflix but not on prime)

Nvidia shield pro is the only device with all format support and ott support.

thanks a lot! have thought to keep the device.
i checked the sound-settings and found the 'digital audio format' option. set it on 'auto' mode, & can now see DDP activated for sound/signal. the sound is good, so have decided to keep using the box. :)

Attachments

• photo_2020-12-25_22-20-07.jpg
    photo_2020-12-25_22-20-07.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 45
this xstream.box outputs only 8bit HDR signal at 4k 60hz
Hdr requires atleast 10 bit signal. I find no option of outputting 10 bit signal at 4k60hz.
We have to turn the frame rate down to 30hz then it sends the signal at 12 bits.

thanks a lot! have thought to keep the device.
i checked the sound-settings and found the 'digital audio format' option. set it on 'auto' mode, & can now see DDP activated for sound/signal. the sound is good, so have decided to keep using the box. :)
Ho did you get to this setting in the box ? I have connected the HDMI out of the box to the TV and the optical out of the box to the receiver but with no luck.

Ho did you get to this setting in the box ? I have connected the HDMI out of the box to the TV and the optical out of the box to the receiver but with no luck.
I have connected xstream box to avr and output to tv. There is a option in sound settings to change audio output to Dolby but its not that much great. I am using airtel internet tv and xstream both but internet tv is much better in audio than xstream.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back