Akai AP-D30C

Thank you for the cart suggestion, Saket.
Fully agree that most OEM carts would not stand up to the tonal abilities of decent replacement cartridges. This TT too had cart as an optional extra.
Since Mr. Kuruvilla suggested that the original cart is pretty decent, it might be worth a look..

It might be a decent cart, but I will be really amazed if it outperforms even an average Shure or AT cart:)

And yes, as Reuben says, FM Record Player is an expert in getting dustcovers fabricated through his 'sources'. I dare say that his dust covers may give a good run to the original ones for their money!

It might be a decent cart, but I will be really amazed if it outperforms even an average Shure or AT cart:)

+1 to this, the stock OEM Japanese carts on these mass-manufactured units are definitely not up to the mark. I still have the original stock cart of my Technics SL3200 and I must say, it is absolute junk :mad:

I dare say that his dust covers may give a good run to the original ones for their money!

+1 again, I dare say that they are better looking and sturdier. The advantage of a fabricated dust cover is that you are allowed some level of customization and artistry on it, if you really want to indulge.

On another note, dust covers are available with some international dealers online. Not sure about Akai but Technics dust covers are readily available. However shipping will be a challenge (especially if you want your dust cover to reach you in one piece :eek:hyeah: )

Thanks much for your valuable inputs, Saket and Reuben :)
Will PM RecordPlayer regarding the dustcover.

Thanks much for your valuable inputs, Saket and Reuben :)
Will PM RecordPlayer regarding the dustcover.

Reuben / Saket - Thanks for your complements however the key here is to get a good fabricator, getting the dimensions exactly right and your design.

@pathakajit - As suggested by the others, get a new dust cover fabricated. You just need to find yourself a good fabricator. The good ones are usually into making trophies, acrylic boxes etc.

Ensure you get the inner and outer dimensions right for the cover before placing the order. Or just carry the TT along and let them measure. Use 3mm or 5mm. 5mm is thick and may not hold onto the hinges. Plan for some engraves as well :). I don't use hinges for all my dust covers, just simply take it on and off when in play. I believe the dust cover attached to the TT will add vibrations when in play.

Cheers...

Last edited:
Reuben / Saket - Thanks for your complements however the key here is to get a good fabricator, getting the dimensions exactly right and your design.

@pathakajit - As suggested by the others, get a new dust cover fabricated. You just need to find yourself a good fabricator. The good ones are usually into making trophies, acrylic boxes etc.

Ensure you get the inner and outer dimensions right for the cover before placing the order. Or just carry the TT along and let them measure. Use 3mm or 5mm. 5mm is thick and may not hold onto the hinges. Plan for some engraves as well :). I don't use hinges for all my dust covers, just simply take it on and off when in play. I believe the dust cover attached to the TT will add vibrations when in play.

Cheers...

Thanks much Record player!
Will go looking for some good acrylic fabricators in the coming weeks..
I also plan to consult them regarding the existing dustcover and see whether the imperfections can be polished out satisfactorily. The hole in the cover will still remain a concern.. Can probably be covered with some vinyl stickers from both sides with an Akai logo on top...

The original dust cover has a metal akai logo embedded in the center. I value originality.. Probably vainly so :lol:
Since it does not add to the tonal aspect of the gear but definitely adds to the feel good factor for me.

Thanks again for the valuable guidance.. You may hear more from me regarding this if I do not find the right people for the job. :)

Edit: can you also shed light on whether your acrylic fabricators 'fold' the sheet or use separate pieces ( sides and top) and 'weld' (for lack of a better word) them together?

Last edited:
Hi Anil Kumar,
Please let me know the size of your TT's tonearm weight.

Hi pathakajit, could not upload the pictures via PM. Hope this helps.

Akaicounterweight01_zpsede75a8b.jpg

Akaicounterweight02_zpsad346441.jpg

Hi pathakajit, could not upload the pictures via PM. Hope this helps.

Akaicounterweight01_zpsede75a8b.jpg

Akaicounterweight02_zpsad346441.jpg

Thanks Anil.
Apologies! I used the term 'size' insted of 'weight'.
I need to know the weight of the tonearm counter weight for your Akai 40D. I suspect it would be 4 or 5 gms.

:) size and weight are 2 totally different terms when it comes to tonearm calibration :)

Hi Reuben, I always thought the counter weight was for merely adjusting the tracking force of the stylus- moving the weight towards the tonearm pivot would increase the tracking force and vice versa..
Please elaborate how the 'size' of the counterweight comes into play.

The original cart for this TT - Akai PC-90 supposedly had twin magnets. can anyone suggest whether this implies better tonal qualities or if this is just a marketing gimmick? would it be worth it to pursue the original cart or go for a decent replacement such as an AT95E?
Please find out who is the OEM of the PC-90. If it was ACUTEX then it is a pretty decent cart. It will require significantly higher money today to get a better cart. You will probably need a new replacement stylus to regain original spec.

As you select a new cart it is important to keep in mind its interaction with the tone arm. I believe your AKAI has a mid-mass arm which will better suit a cart like AT95E than M97XE. Check the compliance rating and then match.

This AKAI TT doesn't seem to have been made by CEC. At least the ARM doesn't scream CEC.
Hi Reuben, I always thought the counter weight was for merely adjusting the tracking force of the stylus- moving the weight towards the tonearm pivot would increase the tracking force and vice versa..
He meant the moving mass of the tonearm+cartridge ;)

The bigger the size of the counter weight, the more heavier its likely to be :eek:hyeah:

For advanced tonearm customization, it is common for people to extend the length of the tone arm. In such circumstances, the counter weight may also need to be made heavier.

The bigger the size of the counter weight, the more heavier its likely to be :eek:hyeah:

For advanced tonearm customization, it is common for people to extend the length of the tone arm. In such circumstances, the counter weight may also need to be made heavier.

Effectively then size is a reference to the weight :)

I got confused when you suggested that 'size and weight are 2 totally different terms when it comes to tonearm calibration ' :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back