AKG k371bt: VFM reference headphone?

Enkay78

B38BE2F2-B564-43C6-AB4B-93D870221946.png

I know this might be a little late.

Keeping aside the QC issues, I feel Harman did a nice one with K371bt. At the current price point on Amazon Rs 6900/- , this headphone is very very VFM with the almost reference frequency response. (It has a little more bass extension…..but I, personally am loving it).

I was hunting around for a headphone which would match with the reference harman curve. Recently a DAN CLARK STEALTH was launched which used metamaterials …. with excellent measurements and a curve with the best compliance to reference. It piqued my interest …..but the price was beyond my budget. I started searching around any other headphones which measures almost as good as the Dan Clark Stealth.

I was hoping an audeze/seinheisser/ audiotechnica would be that affordable one for me. But I was surprised each of the many models of headphones which I studied were with compromised curves. Now I am in a dilemma - I don’t have opportunities to audition. I have Amazon but returning the ones not suiting my taste would mean a lots of headphone to buy and return. So I had to rely on a objective measurement which will reflect the performance of the headphones. (Going by my experience with well measured DACs within my affordable budgets, I am convinced I would like a well measured headphone. I liked my Sabaj……and now my Topping D90se)

Then AKG K371 came into my radar from a comment in a forum. I was intrigued. I started hunting why it was popular and what were its measurements. Imagine my surprised to see it has almost a compliant curve with reference except for more sub bass extension…..and some distortion which was within acceptable level (for me)

The many reviews and issues especially QCs with this headphone was a bit downer…..but the price currently in Amazon was too good for the performance.
Compared to my Hifiman Sundara, the soundstage is little narrower. But the bass is excellent. I was checking it using my Sabaj D5, NX4 dad, D90se…..I just love how it sounds. Listened to my DSDs, and the hi-res flac - simply love how Pink Floyd sounds.

Some of forum members must have already owned this headphone. Just wanted to share my experience. For the money, it’s bang for bucks.

The BT is restricted to AAC, but it’s not bad compared to my wh1000mx3…..except for the ANC part. I use mostly in wired mode. Apple Music is currently my online source. Using the camera usb kit on my iPad Pro. My offline sources remains my flacs collection ( stored on a NAS).

B2E66428-F23F-4A32-B4F2-DD6EEF00BBFA.png
Dan Clark Stealth

23B8C7A6-F5EF-427F-B407-E17D21CA37FC.png

AKG K371 with some flaws but the best curve I could find.

8241985E-1B95-4B19-B6A3-27DF1F7809F2.png

BAB7F63E-00A4-454B-B591-F8C0187CA939.png

PS: I hope members won’t mind me share these graphs from other website. (Otherwise mods can do the needful). The graphs are of the K371 non-bt version. The k371bt have the same response.

The stock earpads and the depth is a major fault for this headphone. It suffers improper seal and finicky soundtage with stock earpads. My pinna gets painfull from contact inside from the driver 'grill'.

Changed to Brainwavz sheepskin earpads makes a world of difference - nice seal, and ears feels in a roomy space. The sonic characteristics stabilise and sounds excellent.

Listening to Apple music lossless though my iPad pro >>usb camera kit>> topping D90se >>topping A90 .......becomes a blissful affair. Compared to my Sony wh1000mx3, K371 is more refined ..true to its reference FR.

For the price, it's an excellent headphone.

For those who want their bang of bucks, I definitely would recommend this headphone.
Over the months I find these cans to be satisfying my need for sonic quality, and yes the bass extension including.

Simply using these with my iPad Pro …..and Apple Music, I cannot ask for more.

Lately I am using this more often than my Sundara (+ Topping A90+Topping D90se).

The only change that I did was use brainwavz sheepskin pad. (More cup depth than the original)

I own the younger sibling, the K361 and they sound absolutely amazing too. I did not want the BT version as I had a Fiio btr5 lying unused. The pairing of btr5 and K361 is heavenly in my view. With an SHP9500 open back and K361 closed back in my arsenal, I do not feel the need to even explore for any other headphones. Maybe a 6 series Sennheiser in the distant future.

MaSh

I own the younger sibling, the K361 and they sound absolutely amazing too. I did not want the BT version as I had a Fiio btr5 lying unused. The pairing of btr5 and K361 is heavenly in my view. With an SHP9500 open back and K361 closed back in my arsenal, I do not feel the need to even explore for any other headphones. Maybe a 6 series Sennheiser in the distant future.

MaSh
In fact I was thinking of getting focal or hifiman ananda for a 'higher end audiophile can'. That idea is shelved now :D

And the bluetooth sound is also 'not that bad' (but prefer the wired)

Apple music ....if only it can have the Spotify algorithm, can be the be-all source.

In fact I was thinking of getting focal or hifiman ananda for a 'higher end audiophile can'. That idea is shelved now :D

And the bluetooth sound is also 'not that bad' (but prefer the wired)

Apple music ....if only it can have the Spotify algorithm, can be the be-all source.
If you don’t use headphones everyday, investing on them isn’t a wise idea. I had a audioquest night owl carbon, hd 650, 660 and focal elear. But I ended up using my beoplay h6(with some eq) as I only ended up using headphones while I travelled. So, end of the day, I was only babysitting them than listening them. Then I Sold all of them. Kept the beoplay as it was a gift from my wife(not because it was anything superior). Ok carry a moondrop aria in my bag now when I travel and for 80 percent of the time, I end up listening on the first version Samsung galaxy buds now ! Honestly its a very likeable earphone, irrespective of its cost, wireless connection. It doesn’t have the detail level or speed of those headphones I mentioned, but it blocks the sound well passively and tonality is fairly neutral. I compared sennheiser momentum tws and Sony xm3 against them and I liked the Samsung more than them. Don’t know if the newer gens are better. But for the money they are sold for they are one of the biggest value for money I had in years.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back