Alienware X51 R2 with Nvidia GTX 670 2gb for Triple monitor setup? Help!

Eddierockks

Hi everyone, hope all of you are doing just fine :)

First up, I'm not a pro gamer at all, just an enthusiast trying to get your expert views on getting a triple screen setup for my recently purchased Alienware x51 end 2013 model. Currently, it's attached to my samsung 51" plasma tv. I want to move it to my 9x6 feet studio (attached to the bedroom; previously planned for a mini-store :eek:hyeah:) where I have an iMac, and some other computer stuff. I've always liked the YouTube videos featuring triple monitors. I am pretty much fantasised by the idea of it. But I have trying to ignore it for long thinking about budget issues. Like I said, my Alienware has a GTX 670 2 Gb nothing phenomenal. Should I get 3 screens or it would be impractical/overkill for this system? Also, I would like to share that I don't intend to play heavy games on it, just some racing games, a lil bit of fps as well. I don't expect this card to perform exceptionally well, but can it handle a triple 22" or 24" monitors at full hd x 3 times? Please share your input.

The specs are of my system are:
Core i7 4770
16gb ddr3 at 1600 MHz
2tb 64mb cache 7200 rpm
2gb gddr5 nvidia GeForce GTX 670
WINDOWS 8

I only want to play racing games on it primarily with a little exception of FPS games. The system would only be used for that. Additionally, I have a 2008-PS3 (Original system) as well as XBOX 360 Modern Warfare edition lying idle in my storage dresser. My current bedroom HT can't spare any more free HDMI's. So I can hook them up here in my studio with any of the monitors. Not exactly thought about it.

1. 22" vs 24" vs 27" monitor for my setup? I would not have to sit too far. It's a small 9x6 feet space.

2. 60 Hz vs 120 Hz vs 144 Hz, do I really need to worry about all of this stuff (given the not very high end specs of my alienware)?

3. The overall budget for either One 27" or THREE 22" is 35-40k. I can fork out maybe 5-10k more but the
difference should be really really awesome.

4. 22" Triple monitor setup vs 27" Single monitor for this setup?

5. The Alienware is just 2-3 months old. So don't want to mess up my 3 year warranty by trying to upgrade parts. Therefore, please do not suggest to upgrade the stock graphics card. For example, my last Dell XPS 12 (RED) laptop. I wanted to upgrade the Ram once and got the Dell technician to do it. After that, in few months, the laptop started creating so many problems with display going bad, then motherboard was replaced twice, speakers had to replaced, etc etc. Almost everything was replaced in that laptop, phew!

6. There's another thought crossing my mind now which says to get a real nice 27 incher for Alienware for the time being and game at high settings (not entirely sure if it will be possible but I hope so). I am thinking that in about 9-10 months, I can save more money to assemble a semi-pro gamer pc with a real good graphics card that can actually/literally support 3 screens with no problems whatsoever. Therefore, if I go this route, I would have a 2009 iMac 21.5", 2010 MBP 13", Pioneer DDJ ERGO, Alienware + 27" and the NEW GAMING tri-screen setup (expected purchase end-2014, one that can actually do it! :D ) in my private studio (has a door thru my bedroom; small 9x6 feet space). I think that this might make more sense. What are your thoughts on it?

7. I can see that Dell doesn't make great gaming monitors. Out of all the info I could find on the internet, I have seen that gamers really recommend Asus or BenQ primarily. Which one would you suggest?

Thanks in advance, cheers! :)

Last edited:
Any suggestions guys?

Ps have I posted this in the wrong section, please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

Have you considered getting a large screen TV instead? Firstly, you would get a lot more screen for your money. Secondly, you said you mainly wanted to game on this.

Basically, what I am saying is that why don't you treat your Alienware like a console?

Valve's Steam Machine effort is targeted at precisely that. The idea is that you can run Steam in Big Picture mode. For controls, you can easily use a wireless keyboard for racing (with an integrated touchpad for navigating Windows or a separate wireless mouse). But you should also be able to use other console controllers. Valve is also coming out with a Steam Controller that will even let you play fps games.

I use a 3 monitor setup at work, but don't play games on it :)
I would like to say that a single large display might be better. Large enough for a decently immersive experience, and still not too much in your peripheral vision. There are many relatively cheap Korean panels coming out too at 4k resolutions and 27" and above. Here's a 37" example with decent reviews.

More than the number or the size, you should look at the quality of the panel. IPS based screens should be preferred - especially the 8-10 bit IPS variety. The GTX 670 can handle a resolution of 2560x1440. Anything higher would not be enjoyable.

However if you are doing pure competitive gaming on this machine and nothing else, get the 144Hz Asus VG248QE. These are not great displays in terms of quality but have the fastest response time. Also they can be modified to support G-Sync from Nvidia.

Last edited:
Have you considered getting a large screen TV instead? Firstly, you would get a lot more screen for your money. Secondly, you said you mainly wanted to game on this.

Basically, what I am saying is that why don't you treat your Alienware like a console?

Valve's Steam Machine effort is targeted at precisely that. The idea is that you can run Steam in Big Picture mode. For controls, you can easily use a wireless keyboard for racing (with an integrated touchpad for navigating Windows or a separate wireless mouse). But you should also be able to use other console controllers. Valve is also coming out with a Steam Controller that will even let you play fps games.

I use a 3 monitor setup at work, but don't play games on it :)
I would like to say that a single large display might be better. Large enough for a decently immersive experience, and still not too much in your peripheral vision. There are many relatively cheap Korean panels coming out too at 4k resolutions and 27" and above. Here's a 37" example with decent reviews.

Hi Arun, thanks for your input. Currently, I am using the Alienware with my Samsung 51" Plasma. One major problem is, as my viewing distance from the tv screen is approximately 12-13 feet, I am unable to browse the internet without straining my eyes. Therefore, I want to place the Alienware separately and do it justice by giving it a proper monitor. I am pretty much ignorant about the Steam machines but I googled some info. Those products are not out at this moment and my idea currently is to shift the Alienware to a small room that I intend to make a small personal studio (adjoining my bedroom; earlier planned to be a small store). For it's replacement, I wish to get a small decent looking factory made HTPC, to be hooked up with my TV. When I checked on the internet about it, the only product I could find was Zotac Zbox pc's or the Asus Vivo PC. I liked the Asus more but it's expensive. Anyways, I can buy it later sometime. ;)

I liked the 39" 4kTV but sorry I usually don't buy from brands who I have not heard of. A friend has suggested Asus VG238QE as excellent. He has not used it himself but recommended it based on internet reviews. I checked the availabilty locally but in vain. None of my known IT dealers had it in stock and they can't even guarantee the delivery date as well. Rather they suggested my to buy online if I could find it. It is around 28k-29k at primeabgb. Does anybody have an idea if this is the correct price? I shall be more than thankful to you all :eek:hyeah:

Also, would you recommend this model?

More than the number or the size, you should look at the quality of the panel. IPS based screens should be preferred - especially the 8-10 bit IPS variety. The GTX 670 can handle a resolution of 2560x1440. Anything higher would not be enjoyable.

However if you are doing pure competitive gaming on this machine and nothing else, get the 144Hz Asus VG248QE. These are not great displays in terms of quality but have the fastest response time. Also they can be modified to support G-Sync from Nvidia.

Thanks for sharing your input @reignofchaos. I read that IPS screens are the finest screens but they have high response time. Would that be noticed in the day to day mixmatch usage?

I am considering two options like I said before, and I would appreciate if you could help me picking one up for myself.

OPTION 1:
Get a single 22-27" IPS display and do occasional gaming on it. I think for normal racing games when played on an IPS display, there shouldn't be too many problems. What do you think? If that is the case, I would enjoy the screen a lot with movie watching and gaming ofcourse.
+
Get a proper gaming pc assembled sometime soon with a pro level graphics card and then install triple screens to do proper justice to the experience. Additionally, this could take approximately 2-6 months (budget issues;)).

OPTION 2:
Get 3 screens (don't know which ones!) hooked up to the existing Alienware and see how that goes because there's not much info on the internet or users with same model and same requirements/experiences.

I checked the Asus model and infact, I just mentioned above this post that one of my other friends has also recommended the same model. But the cost is around 29k x 3 pcs. = 87k!!!!:indifferent14: So should I just get one of these right now and add more as the budget permits? Or get cheaper models like ASUS VS247H (listed at 10,900 at Snapdeal)?

As far as gaming is concerned, guys I am occasionaly moody gamer. Yes I do want to enjoy triple screens and if I would have them, I think I would take out more time for gaming. But at the moment, I am not a pro level gamer by a mile. Are IPS displays best for movie watching as well? Just curious.

I cannot make specific monitor recommendations. I have personally been using Dell monitors for many years (various models) and do feel they set the benchmark for quality. However not sure for gaming - although I got the sense that you are looking for an all-rounder and not necessarily for pure gaming.

I would agree with ROC.

Get a 27" panel with 2560x1440 resolution. You only need IPS if you need wide viewing angles. So to answer you question, IPS is not necessarily better for movies (compared to TN), but is better if you are going to watch it from far away where you might not be viewing the monitor dead center. Typically, from a desk, you would be watching your monitor dead center. 8 bit panels are actually sufficient - 10bit is probably overkill for you (really only useful for pro photographers who do black and white photography and want to see good grayscale). In fact, good refresh rates, good backlighting (LED backlit) and good contrast levels, and decent color gamut are more important (in that order, IMO).

G-Sync technology that comes with your video card is really promising, and I would suggest getting a monitor that supports it. Variable refresh rates are a nice thing to have, especially since tearing and frame drops are so common in games and in video.

Last edited:
For movies the best screens are the va panel based screens. They have the highest contrast ratios. However they are hard to get. As for IPS and response time, personally I do not have an issue but a gamer who plays in competitions might. I use a pair of displays - dell u2412 and an old dell 2005fpw both of which are IPS. I only game on a single display though with an amd 7970 ghz edition graphics board. More than does the job for me.

Thanks for sharing the info guys, I just am not able to set my mind on single 27" monitor. Looking out for 3 24" monitors still. Any more recommendations guys? Much thanks.

Hi, Eddie have you considered this, LG WIDE SCREEN 21:9 IPS LED MONITOR 29EA93 - Buy Online @ Rs.36024/- | Snapdeal.com,

Check out "video" reviews about it, there are lots.

All the games don't support this monitor's resolution though.

Instead of having bezels sticking out, consider a single big monitor like this.

Hi, you know what, I had actually been considering this model or the Asus MX299Q. But, I found out that, like you said, all games don't support it's resolution. Therefore, I decided to stick to the 3 monitor theory again. Thanks again. :)

Dell u2412 or u2312. Either is good.

Hi ROC, how do like the Asus MX239H or the Benq2411T? I know one is IPS and the other is for gaming but I can find only these two options which I kind of like online. Like previously said, the local dealers have nothing. So I have to rely on the options in hand, i.e. online retailers like infibeam, snapdeal and theitdepot.com .

I understand that Asus MX239H isn't height adjustable which is a major flaw for me. I would want height adjustable monitors, as I have realised in the course of research. Can't find any other problem with it. Completely confused at the moment.

Please do share your views on the same.

I'd not buy either since neither has decent reviews. Check with dell directly. They should be able to ship a display to you.

If you want a 120Hz display, then the Benq is okay, otherwise not.

Guess what, I think I never checked out Dell at infibeam.com . Dell U2412 is for 18,581 and U2312 is for 15,285. How do you find the pricing? I'll check further details till then.

How is the antiglare hard coat on both of these? I was checking out it was referred to as a negative by various users. Is it really that bad? In the same price range, I can get the BenQ XL2420 or XL2411 as well. I was also thinking that if I get the mentioned BenQ panels in a triple monitor setup, would it spoil the viewing pleasure as it's not an IPS? I mean two screens on either side inclined a few degrees towards where I will sit. Please suggest.

The difference in color purity between IPS and non IPS is quite stark when compared side by side. The anti glare coat has never bothered me. Its something similar to a matte screen guard in a phone.

Ok. For now, I have gone ahead with BenQ XL2411T from Snapdeal at Rs 19,400 approx. I should receive it soon. If I don't like it, I will buy the Dell IPS or otherwise would order 2 more of the BenQs'. Cheers for all the guidance guys, Good day!

Bump!

I ordered one Dell U2414H today! :D

The Benq is yet to ship tomorrow. Do you guys think that I should cancel the Benq? Dell will take 3 weeks to deliver the monitor. Afaik, it comes with a very light version of the anti glare coating. So it should be fine for me. But it has dual hdmi, mini display port and display port. Which ports and which cables should I use if I plan on dell u2414h triple monitor setup? Quick replies would be highly appreciated because if you guys would suggest me to cancel the benq, then I need to do it in the morning first time!!

Much thanks.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back