All That Jazz ...

In the lead up to our Paris vacation, mrs.coaltrain googled ‘dinner cruise on seine’ while my search had the words ‘cd’, ‘store’ and ‘jazz’.
The two I shortlisted for a visit were O’CD and Paris Jazz Corner. Both were pretty disappointing; smaller shops with a mediocre selection of used CDs that were around 10-12 euros each. Both stores had a decent quantity of vinyl, though I didn’t check the quality.
Then, a few days before leaving for home, I decided to take a different route from our hotel in Saint Germain. That’s when I hit the jackpot with Gibert Joseph. Very large store with a great selection of CDs and vinyl, with some amazing offers to boot. The jazz section, in particular, was loaded with some good stuff.
Some of the albums I picked up were recommendations I received in this thread, so ‘Merci Beaucoup!’ to all here :)

View attachment 70509View attachment 70510View attachment 70511View attachment 70512View attachment 70513
Great haul! See a couple of Lou Donaldson albums. Enjoy.

In the lead up to our Paris vacation, mrs.coaltrain googled ‘dinner cruise on seine’ while my search had the words ‘cd’, ‘store’ and ‘jazz’.
The two I shortlisted for a visit were O’CD and Paris Jazz Corner. Both were pretty disappointing; smaller shops with a mediocre selection of used CDs that were around 10-12 euros each. Both stores had a decent quantity of vinyl, though I didn’t check the quality.
Then, a few days before leaving for home, I decided to take a different route from our hotel in Saint Germain. That’s when I hit the jackpot with Gibert Joseph. Very large store with a great selection of CDs and vinyl, with some amazing offers to boot. The jazz section, in particular, was loaded with some good stuff.
Some of the albums I picked up were recommendations I received in this thread, so ‘Merci Beaucoup!’ to all here :)

View attachment 70509View attachment 70510View attachment 70511View attachment 70512View attachment 70513
Awesome picks! With the upgraded CD playback chain, double the listening pleasure :)
I've seen rave reviews about that "Saturday night..." album

Great collection, congratulations @coaltrain
Don't miss the dinner cruise though. And remember you can always prepay excess baggage ;)
Yep, the Seine cruise was amazing, especially the food. Plus we had a live band belting out Sinatra and Louis Armstrong, so even better!
No excess baggage as Parisian prices are way above my tax bracket :)

What a coincidence, I was in the Saint Germain area last week
That Indian guy you saw drinking like a fish at the roadside cafe was probably me!

Then I highly recommend checking out the Wamono series
This thread is seriously injurious to my wallet. Stunning album art!

See a couple of Lou Donaldson albums.
Still no sign of Alligator Boogaloo, though! Ah well, one day…

New album out from GoGo Penguin!

wy7xxz-betweentwo-preview-m3.jpg

Some new age jazz worth listening 🎧
Love the Japanese instrument "wagakki"

Sean Smith Hi Sean, TOKYO GROOVE JYOSHI is a female groove band formed in 2018 in Tokyo by three Japanese session musicians, Emi Kanazashi (keyboard,vo), Juna Serita (bass. vo) and Yuriko Seki (drums,cho). Based on 60' & 70' style jazz.

Thanks for posting this. Never head them before, but I like what I've heard here. To me the one who stole the show was Shinobu Kawashima on the Tsugaru-jamisen. Rally nice arrangement there where she becomes the center piece (to me).

Hiromi - Seeker

Plus+1 for Seeker 👍

I'm a huge Hiromi fan and love all here stuff, some of my other favorites - Rhapsody in Various Shades of Blue off Spectrum, and 11:49 PM off of Move. But there's so much more. Brilliant musician :)

Hiromi CDs.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Never head them before, but I like what I've heard here. To me the one who stole the show was Shinobu Kawashima on the Tsugaru-jamisen. Rally nice arrangement there where she becomes the center piece (to me).
Ur welcome...good music is to be shared always. This was unique for me too.

I'm with you on Shinobu part man, i love the wagakki sound.

Check out "Wagakki Band" too & Babymetal

Last edited:
A film on one of the finest backing band in Rock music , which turns out to be a Jazz band . Kudos to Sting and RIP Kenny Kirkland.

Friday night in Bangalore was spent listening to Saturday Night in San Francisco. I’ve been spinning the original FNISF album since 1990 so, naturally, I was looking forward to more from the trio. And, for the most part, they don’t disappoint.
Some of the tracks feel like alternate versions from the original; ’Splendido Sundance’ is pretty similar to ‘Mediterranean Sundance’ and ‘El Panuelo’ has shades of ‘Short Tales of the Black Forest’. Paco, in particular, seems to regularly fall back on his trademark runs.
Nevertheless, each musician is at the top of their game. McLaughlin’s ‘One Word’ solo spot will knock your socks off, and the interplay on the trio pieces is breathtaking.
My biggest complaint is with the crowd noise. I’m not sure if it was intentional, but they’re too loud in the mix. Occasionally, they’ll drown out the quieter bits, and the roar at the end of each track will have you lunging for the volume control.
Still, if you’re a fan of the original, this is an essential purchase. And if you’ve never heard the first one before, are you kidding?!? :)
Fyi: from what I’ve read online, there are 3 versions of the album:
- the vinyl and US cd have 7 tracks
- the European cd has a bonus track ‘Orpheo Negro’
- the sacd has a bonus track ‘Soniquete’

PS: Since it’s not stated anywhere, here’s the positioning of the trio - Paco on left channel, John in the centre and Al on the left.

BD0554D2-652F-4264-BCF7-29FECA8C13A3.jpeg

Apologies for the brain fade in the last bit above!
Correct order: Paco on left, John in centre, Al on right.

Talking of guitar albums , this one is hugely under the radar , but a classic nonetheless.My regular go to album.

1658074199081.png

Two superb guitar-led trios:

Bright Size Life was Pat Metheny’s debut album as a leader, at the ripe old age of 21. Jaco was way older at 24.
You can sense the excitement of these young guns as they show off their incredible chops, in a bid to outdo each other. Metheny’s guitar sounds like a guitar; very different from the electronic sound generator of later years. Jaco sounds like Jaco, which is to say, spellbinding.

Valentine is Bill Frisell’s umpteenth record, and has quickly become my favourite. At 69, Frisell is a master of tone, texture and subtlety. And the telepathic interplay between guitar, bass and drums make this record truly special. Less frenetic than BSL, but no less potent in its ability to transfix you.

B440D647-0394-4BAB-98A7-18BBFB0A3FFB.jpeg

Q. What do Van Helen’s ‘Jump’, Madonna’s ‘Material Girl’ and Michael Jackson’s ‘Billie Jean’ have in common?
A. They’ve all been transformed into ‘Jazz Vocal’ tracks, if you can believe it!

If you’re a fossil like me, chances are 80s pop is one of your guilty pleasures. In which case, do check out the album below, available on Apple Music and Spotify. You haven’t heard it all until you’ve heard ‘Hungry Like the Wolf’ in a jazz setting :)

91383DB5-942B-438E-AD10-720D80745722.jpeg

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back