All That Jazz ...

For Sunday evening, to wind the week down -

Moanin' - Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers

R-4345204-1404548537-2576.jpeg.jpg

Some recent CD acquisitions - mix of amazon.co.uk and amazon India
Special thanks to @vivek_r for introducing me to the Ahmad Jamal and Trifonov
Just rediscovered my interest in Leonard Cohen and this is the fourth album I've picked up in the last couple of months
Aretha Franklin was ordered after listening to a couple of albums online. The Dave Brubeck ones were a longstanding item on the CD wishlist
The rest were largely impulse purchases

Edited.jpg

Marciac Jazz Festival 2016

R.I.P... Aretha Franklin the One and ONLY Queen of soul.

TAKE FIVE - Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis perform Dave Brubeck

Charles Lloyd & Jason Moran: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert

Yesterday I was surfing... chanced upon this video; listened to and I liked it.
classic James bond like...
Hooverphonic - Mad About You (Live at Koningin Elisabethzaal 2012

Some recent CD acquisitions - mix of amazon.co.uk and amazon India
Special thanks to @vivek_r for introducing me to the Ahmad Jamal and Trifonov
Just rediscovered my interest in Leonard Cohen and this is the fourth album I've picked up in the last couple of months
Aretha Franklin was ordered after listening to a couple of albums online. The Dave Brubeck ones were a longstanding item on the CD wishlist
The rest were largely impulse purchases

View attachment 30201

Of late, I've noticed that multiple-album boxsets have become quite the rage. Amazon US and U.K. both carry quite a few of the Dave Brubeck style set you've picked up.
As most of these sets are very reasonably priced, it's a great way for new fans to dig in. Will post here if I come across other deals.

Right, so here's a box set that combines two of my posts: an earlier one regarding CTI Records, and the one above:
CTI: The Cool Revolution

Unfortunately, I have too many of the individual albums to justify this purchase. But it looks like a nice package for CTI newbies and good vfm, to boot.

PS: Don't forget to check out the other deals on the same page.

Last edited:
The Cadenza Collective are the pioneering jazz act in Kathmandu. Nabin the band leader , vocalist and drummer is from Darjeeling and hails from a family with deep musical roots. The music of Cadenza is eclectic , bluesy , funky and full of humour. If you understood the lyrics they come with a deep empathy for the travails of the common man. In this one here they explore a folk motiff and give it their own quirky jazzical twist. The video is equally vibrant. Hope you enjoy...

Moktan, I wish I could give 2 likes for this. Hello Fela Kuti, meet Nepal-Darjeeling. So fun, so funky. And what a nice video!

Now if they mix some social (although non preachy) messages, let’s start a revolution (of sound)!!

Superb. Let me know if they will hit Bombay!

Vivek

Ps normally I don’t like the “Bol” of a percussionist (have you seen fusion concerts where the audience goes nuts when the tabla player calls out the beats and that is the focus of a bit of crowd pleasing gimmickry - drives me up the wall), but here it was charming.

Moktan, I wish I could give 2 likes for this. Hello Fela Kuti, meet Nepal-Darjeeling. So fun, so funky. And what a nice video!

Now if they mix some social (although non preachy) messages, let’s start a revolution (of sound)!!

Vivek

Ps normally I don’t like the “Bol” of a percussionist (have you seen fusion concerts where the audience goes nuts when the tabla player calls out the beats and that is the focus of a bit of crowd pleasing gimmickry - drives me up the wall), but here it was charming.

Vivek

They have couple of albums. Groove for Shiva and Back to the Roots. There is definitely an Afrobeat influence to their music. But I guess they take their inspiration from acts like Trilok Gurtu too. Their Deusi Bhailo in Back to the Roots sounds uncannily like the song Mumbai Shuffle in Massical.

Dr Subramanyam , Ponty and none other than Billy Cobham at Gateway of India.
Cheers

Miles Davis with what many consider his first ‘modal jazz’ title. Terminologies apart, this is great bluesy and bouncy jazz that really swings. After that diversion with afrobeat and funk, normal service is resumed by the Prince of Darkness and his awe inspiring sextet. A must have album for any jazz enthusiast or aficionado.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back