All That Jazz ...

Hello, long time no post. Been listening to lots of "other" music - soul after getting inspired by "Harlem Shuffle" from the movie Baby Driver, repeated playing of "Bell Bottoms" by Jon Spencer Blues Explosion from the same movie, back to Mahler and pondering about death (influenced by Birdman and a random family emergency that worked out OK), Debussy to let the mind drift (like Inception, a dream within a dream within a...). Aphex Twin also as I wanted to descend into an electronic haze (brilliant).

And then Birdman inspired me to listen to an album by Antonio Sanchez which is really very good - Migration. For an album by a drummer, he does not overwhelm you with chops and keeps the music flowing all the time. I somehow don't listen to much modern jazz (barring exceptions like Brad Mehldau), but this is really up my street.

Also features Chic Corea and Pat Metheny - here is a link that I found - check it out. Old souls like Moktan can apply :)

Since there is a bit of a discussion about it in the 59 thread .., here is a great version of Little Woman .. with Haden , Paul Motian and the incomparable Geri Allen on piano ...

Soundtrack to Elevator to the Gallows.
Composed by Miles as he watched rushes projected on the wal.

Don't see too many Vibists these days. The instrument also sounds great in the audiophile sense of listening.Would I be correct in saying, the vibraphone in a way does things a piano would do? Have been hearing a bit of Milt Jackson and Bobby Hutcherson.20190413_120058.jpg

Don't see too many Vibists these days. The instrument also sounds great in the audiophile sense of listening.Would I be correct in saying, the vibraphone in a way does things a piano would do? Have been hearing a bit of Milt Jackson and Bobby Hutcherson.View attachment 34958
That's a great album! The audiophileness is probably to the credit of Pablo records - their pressings are really good. True, vibists are rare these days and i guess always were.

@sushant
Good point about vibe players being rather scarce today. Can’t think of any major ones besides Stefon Harris.
I’m a big fan of Bobby Hutcherson, too. Might have posted this one before, but here it is anyway:

@sushant
Good point about vibe players being rather scarce today. Can’t think of any major ones besides Stefon Harris.
I’m a big fan of Bobby Hutcherson, too. Might have posted this one before, but here it is anyway:

wow..beautiful performance. Thanks Coaltrain. great solos by all three and Brian Blade was busy the whole time. Didnt know the upright bass could do all that.This is going to play on my daily list.

Most welcome, Sushant.
FYI, the original African Village is from a Tyner album called Time for Tyner. There’s also a BH album called Happenings which features the two of them.
Also, do check out two Grant Green albums that feature BH: Idle Moments and Street of Dreams.
Finally, The Kicker, Stick Up and Components are my favourite albums of his as a leader.
I’m always ready to point people towards Hutcherson. It’s a shame he’s not as well known as some of the other jazz giants.

Most welcome, Sushant.
FYI, the original African Village is from a Tyner album called Time for Tyner. There’s also a BH album called Happenings which features the two of them.
Also, do check out two Grant Green albums that feature BH: Idle Moments and Street of Dreams.
Finally, The Kicker, Stick Up and Components are my favourite albums of his as a leader.
I’m always ready to point people towards Hutcherson. It’s a shame he’s not as well known as some of the other jazz giants.
Thanks again coaltrain. I only have a record or two of tyner, hutcherson and wes Montgomery. familiar with the guitaring of Grant green. these are good leads and I will remember when on my next record buying expedition. :) somehow I sample this era of music on digital but want to own records of these guys.

Listened to this wonderful album last night.

R-2377877-1368439712-1437.jpeg.jpg

“I played three different ideas, but they were the same notes.” Ornette Coleman. There is more conversation here than jazz though. Nevertheless an interesting insight into the private life of a great musician and a good human being.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back