All That Jazz ...

The Youtube playlist is now a remarkable 279 videos!
For those who are interested here is the thread playlist.

Hi How about recomending a few Jazz innternet radio stations too please. Many Thanks

@ Sushant Sharma
Great question! I’ve often been asked why I love jazz, but no one has questioned where it all began. To be honest, I’m not so sure myself!

This is what I was listening to at age 5:

Now, one might assume that my parents were jazz connoisseurs, but nothing could be further from the truth! These were just 2 of the LPs they picked up from a consulate sale in Delhi, when I was growing up. While I can’t recollect the tunes themselves, I can still vividly remember dancing along the patterns on the carpet, in time to the beat of these albums.

Over the next decade or so, I was introduced (by my mother and friends) to Santana, Jim Reeves, Ajit Singh, Usha Uthup, ABBA, Pink Floyd, Boney M, Booker T & the MGs, George McCrae, Bee Gees, Beatles, Kishore Kumar, Hemant Kumar, Giorgio Moroder, Blondie, Kraftwek, Steely Dan, Chic, Police, and many many more. Note: not much jazz, though.

It was only in college that I got my first proper taste with Weather Report, Dave Brubeck, Yellowjackets, Grover Washington, George Benson, Al Di Meola, and others. A bit on the lighter side, but, perhaps, preparing me for things to come.

As with all the finer things in my life, I was introduced to John Coltrane by a woman! The first time I heard his Giant Steps album, I was simply blown away. It was unlike anything I’d ever heard before, and the craving for more was insatiable. Soon, I had Coltrane’s entire Atlantic catalogue, and then moved on to his Impulse years. I was also simultaneously discovering his peers from the same era: Miles, Mingus, Monk, etc. This was also the time that I got hooked onto the Blue Note catalogue.

Today, jazz forms approximately 60-65% of my total collection, but not because it sounds ‘hi-fi’. I could hear Naima on my father’s prehistoric Telefunken radio and I’d still go weak in the knees. No, jazz is a voice that speaks directly to my soul, and moves me in the most profound way.

But, then again, so does rock, soul, electronica, alternative, house, reggae, classical, pop, blues and disco! :)

Hi How about recomending a few Jazz innternet radio stations too please. Many Thanks

I don't listen much to internet radio much as I stream with TIDAL and Amazon Music.
But straight off here are a few ...

www.jazzradio.com

WBGO Newark

WHYR Jazz : DrJazz

Hope you like them!

Note: You can get a lot of stations via online search but many are Blues or Funk which is similar but not true jazz.

Last edited:
Sharing a video that went viral some years ago of the Korean tourist playing upright bass on "Autumn Leaves" with street musicians in Florence. This is everything that an intimate live performance should be.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back