All That Jazz ...

@SachinChavan
On the point of whether jazz musicians just had great sense of music and performed without knowing or paying heed to any of these terminologies etc, I dont know.

Below are 2 pages from Jazz Styles by Mark Gridley (Kindle link below)
I have an ancient copy, but I’m sure the fundamentals are the same.

97668EBD-B54E-45C7-AAF9-4A0F54FEA2FE.jpeg3930E73C-6B04-4513-A932-7E49F1BA6B76.jpeg

If you're in Bangalore, I'm showing up at your home with a mini truck when the lock down eases up :D
I'll be just as happy to come browse through your treasure trove and sponge up more Jazz gyan.

If the truck is chock full of chilled beer, you’re more than welcome! :)

View attachment 45356View attachment 45357

The entire first page could be written addressing Hindustani classIcal by changing a few terms - eg chord progression with pakad. No wonder that musicians from the two genres have collaborated to create seminal albums over the years! BTW, the third para resonates well with Herbert Simon’s statement.

The second page has a disclosure at the top: “most jazz musicians“. And then there’d be some born geniuses who never learnt to read/write music but nevertheless instinctively create/play excellent music. One such as KL Saigal - never formally trained, but could sing classically based film songs and ghazals more adeptly than most that were. Any Jazz artists that similarly proved exception to the norm?

@coaltrain

@coaltrain Another great recommendation, will read up on it. And, that's on the point. And if I paraphrase the text on the pages, most of these guys are accomplished in music. And basically if you didnt tick all the boxes mentioned in these two pages as a jazz musician e.g. do not know how to read or notate music, you had so much else in your armory (referring to all the other things mentioned in the 2 pages, be it playing the effing daylights out of your instrument, gaining real time experience playing with other members and basically immersing yourself in all things music ) to compensate for the lack of that one thing.

Last edited:
The entire first page could be written addressing Hindustani classIcal by changing a few terms - eg chord progression with pakad. No wonder that musicians from the two genres have collaborated to create seminal albums over the years! BTW, the third para resonates well with Herbert Simon’s statement.

The second page has a disclosure at the top: “most jazz musicians“. And then there’d be some born geniuses who never learnt to read/write music but nevertheless instinctively create/play excellent music. One such as KL Saigal - never formally trained, but could sing classically based film songs and ghazals more adeptly than most that were. Any Jazz artists that similarly proved exception to the norm?
Three of the biggest names in jazz had no formal training and were self taught from a very early age - Thelonious Monk, Louis Armstrong and Dizzie Gillespie! Gillespie did get piano lessons but self taught trumpet and trombone when he was 11 or 12 years old.

Inspired by @Fiftyfifty's fantastic Gone Too Soon thread!

R-1146247-1577972367-7989.jpeg.jpg

TIDAL: https://tidal.com/browse/album/94414778

Errol Garner too it I am not mistaken could not read sheet music ...

Three of the biggest names in jazz had no formal training and were self taught from a very early age - Thelonious Monk, Louis Armstrong and Dizzie Gillespie! Gillespie did get piano lessons but self taught trumpet and trombone when he was 11 or 12 years old.

That thread was actually inspired by you Nikhil, because it was your suggestion a year ago.

I was listening to this album 'Study in Brown' that you posted and the beautiful piano solos grabbed my attention. I looked up the line-up, and was shocked to find that it was Richie Powell, who died in that same car crash with Brown. What a tragedy!
One of the biggest reasons I treasure the two albums I own. Both have Ritchie Powell in the lineup with Brown and Roach. The piano playing is so effortless and tight...was such a terrible tragedy :(

My listening to both jazz and Indian classical
Points towards the same.
Especially the Drupad connection.
Modal jazz of the Miles and Coltrane kind is the most similar and hence I never had any issue in grasping the extended improvisations of Coltrane, Miles and Holdsworth.
Free jazz of the Coleman and Archie Shepp kind was the next step and is also within extended grasping limits.
This explains the connection by none other than the master

What a delight to hear McLaughlin share his musical evolution!
Thanks a ton, Himadri, for this amazing video :)

Geoffrey Keezer of Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers whom Golson calls “the only contemporary pianist whose genius approaches that of Art Tatum”
Here is Its Only A Paper Moon from the Geoffrey Trio album World Music. Only it’s not world music but hard , advanced bop.
For a sample of ‘world music‘ it’s worth listening to his collaborations with the Okinawan singer Yasukatsu Oshima .. beautiful , haunting.

Last edited:
Geoffrey Keezer of Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers whom Golson calls “the only contemporary pianist whose genius approaches that of Art Tatum”
Here is Its Only A Paper Moon from the Geoffrey Trio album World Music. Only it’s not world music but hard , advanced bop.
For a sample of ‘world music‘ it’s worth listening to his collaborations with the Okinawan singer Yasukatsu Oshima .. beautiful , haunting.

This is just superb! It's a challenge for me to detect Paper Moon hidden inside this improvisation.
Hadn't heard him before - there's so much undiscovered music!!
Did Art Blakey get this guy too to get hit, like he did with many others (Lee Morgan, Paul Chambers, etc.) at the cost of their careers?

Back