All That Jazz ...

This is beautiful

“"When I was with Dizzy Gillespie we went to Cuba. They asked us to do an interview together. One of the questions was "what is jazz?" Dizzy said, "it's the search for truth. In this case truth is who one is at the moment. The truth of who one is at that moment. The past is gone, the future is left to come and we are only left with the present. The present is the only thing that's real. At the moment is the search for truth within a group context. It means that all of us are expressing ourselves on the bandstand and at the same time maintaining respect for each other's right to express oneself and have conversation and not become overbearing."

By Chico Freeman

The 10 record set - BEAUTY IS A RARE THING, the complete atlantic recordings of ornette coleman is available for preorder on Amazon. Is it a digital cut? Amazon doesn't mention anything.

The 10 record set - BEAUTY IS A RARE THING, the complete atlantic recordings of ornette coleman is available for preorder on Amazon. Is it a digital cut? Amazon doesn't mention anything.

Link please. Don't see it on Amazon

Virtually every re-issue these days is made from a digital source. If you’re lucky, they’ve got it from the original master tape, and, if so, they usually advertise the fact with a sticker on the packaging. Remastering of the digital copy is most often done in hi-definition, but there are some unscrupulous companies who may use a CD copy from something digitised in the 1980s. The proof is in the hearing, as you will find some reissues that sound terrible. Fortunately, these are few. Most reissues sound pretty darn good these days, as remastering technologies have improved considerably over the years. The analog-digital debate will continue forever, but anybody purchasing LP re-issues these days has to come to terms with the market realities.

There are a few re-issue companies - like Analogue Productions - that continue to source copies from the original master tapes, and press LPs in an all-analog chain, and they will always advertise the fact on the packaging. There are also some boutique labels - like Newvelle Records for contemporary jazz - that issue new music that is recorded on to magnetic tape and go through the full process with no digital intervention whatsoever.

Jazz paintings by Habib Haddad

A pleasure to watch accompanied by Habib's band playing Herbie Hancock's 'Dolphin Dance' in the background

Great thread!
Thank you, all, for some amazing links and some great recommendations, too.

Since no one has mentioned Blue Note records so far, here's a shout out to my favourite label. So many great artistes, playing at their peak: Bobby Hutcherson, Andrew Hill, Hank Mobley, Joe Henderson, Jackie McLean, Grant Green, Stanley Turrentine, Wayne Shorter... the list is never ending.

And, you could hang those gorgeous album covers on your wall :)

http://i.xomf.com/zswjy.jpg

Last edited:
http://i.xomf.com/zswjy.jpg

Beauty is a Rare Thing was originally released as a 6 CD set in the 90s.
Very similar packaging to the Coltrane Heavyweight Champion box.
I'm guessing they would've just transferred the digital to vinyl.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back