All That Jazz ...

Dear friends,

This is such a great thread, showcasing diverse tastes of such a broad genre. I wonder why none of us have yet posted (or have we?) about this most wonderful of instruments - the human voice? Let me kick this off with this 3 minute preview of a film on Abbey Lincoln "The Music is the Magic"
Wonder if the full film is available somewhere.

Cheers

So, I started keeping a list of albums and sidemen.

Speaking of sidemen, do hear Keith Jarrett's European quartet (on ECM label). Sax man Jan Garbarek almost always takes centerstage. Some consider him loud and brash, but I personally consider him one of the greats. Of course Garbarek has his own ensemble and many collaborations, including those with artists from the Indian subcontinent, and most famously with the Hilliard Ensemble.

I am not much into nuanced classical listening but I do have the 9 discs of Chopin by Rubenstein . These include the Piano Concertos , Nocturnes, Mazurkas, Preludes , Impromptus, Waltzes, Scherzos , Ballades, Polonaises).

Prabin, do give Piano Concerto No 1 a serious listen (I know this thread is about jazz, but:)).

It's my current favourite piano concerto. And I have been having a running fued with Vivek on this choice;) He disagrees rather vehemently.

Prabin, do give Piano Concerto No 1 a serious listen (I know this thread is about jazz, but:)).

It's my current favourite piano concerto. And I have been having a running fued with Vivek on this choice;) He disagrees rather vehemently.

We all have our favourites. But each of these great artistes, be it Rubenstein or Moravek, has his own unique style. The differences are like differences between gharanas in Hindustani classical. As a listener, one cannot be a Gwalior guy or a Kirana guy, need to appreciate both!

JLS I heard the full Daversa album. While it had moments, it didn’t come through to repeat playing (I hear a new album many times as sometimes the mood you are in makes a difference)

I have now, thanks to Nikhil’s link, downloaded two albums of Mehldau- After Bach and Seymour reads...I really like that cerebral pianist. After Bach is also stereophile recommended (cough cough)

Got to listen to Flannagan.

Good point on vocalists. My favourites are Sarah Vaughn and Johnny Hartman. And I really like Madeline Peyroux’ “Secular Hymns”.

And I don’t like many audiophile breathy voice heart on sleeve audiophile female vocals that pass for jazz. Go on flame me!

Please allow me to rant when we meet.

Listening to “Seymour”. Oh no. One more cd to buy!!

Brad Mehldau is a genre bender. Radiohead, Bach, Beatles, Beach boys...all played out in an idiom that is his own. It’s no “fusion, confusion”...just great jazz.

Thank you Nikhil.

Clapton: "I'm just doing this (playing the blues) till I get a gig in a jazz band."

Regarding the Daversa Big Band, I find very fascinating the way they have transposed (in a manner of speaking) out and out rock tunes into the very different dialect of jazz.

Another fascinating interpretation of classic Beatles tunes is by the Italian duo of Petra Magoni and Ferruccio Spinnetti (check out their sparse yet powerful version of Eleanor Rigby).

JLS I heard the full Daversa album. While it had moments, it didn’t come through to repeat playing (I hear a new album many times as sometimes the mood you are in makes a difference)

I have now, thanks to Nikhil’s link, downloaded two albums of Mehldau- After Bach and Seymour reads...I really like that cerebral pianist. After Bach is also stereophile recommended (cough cough)

Got to listen to Flannagan.

Good point on vocalists. My favourites are Sarah Vaughn and Johnny Hartman. And I really like Madeline Peyroux’ “Secular Hymns”.

And I don’t like many audiophile breathy voice heart on sleeve audiophile female vocals that pass for jazz. Go on flame me!
I thought Madeline Peyroux sounded like a feminine Dean Martin. One of my favorites is her rendition of Desperado Under the Eaves. Or perhaps it's just the profoundly evocative lyrics that tell the sad story of an alcoholic off the wagon.

Regarding the Daversa Big Band, I find very fascinating the way they have transposed (in a manner of speaking) out and out rock tunes into the very different dialect of jazz.

Another fascinating interpretation of classic Beatles tunes is by the Italian duo of Petra Magoni and Ferruccio Spinnetti (check out their sparse yet powerful version of Eleanor Rigby).[/QUOTE]
Clapton: "I'm just doing this (playing the blues) till I get a gig in a jazz band."

Another fascinating interpretation of classic Beatles tunes is by the Italian duo of Petra Magoni and Ferruccio Spinnetti (check out their sparse yet powerful version of Eleanor Rigby).
some more transposition of rock into the dialect of jazz...Herbie Hancock ...The New Standard.

R-783641-1376734196-5765.jpeg.jpg

Was never the biggest fan of Chet Baker, but this album is making me reconsider...

Chet Baker in Europe, a Jazz Tour of the Nato Countries

51ONkd3KMeL._SX425_.jpg

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back