All That Jazz ...

Dave Brubeck - Take Five (Live Version)
I've heard this a million times probably but seeing it performed live is another thing.
This version has an interesting improvisation by Paul Desmond on the Sax.

For me and many others, this is what got us hooked on to jazz! My favorite album is their 'Jazz at Oberlin'
Don't miss reading the liner notes that explain how much resentment was brewing at that time between Brubeck and Desmond, and how they both tried to outdo each other in their solos!

What a pity that two legendary artistes from this video - Paul Chambers and John Coltrane both died too young. Chambers at 33 and Coltrane at 41!
I am doing a presentation on jazz legends who died too soon but left a huge legacy on 8 July as part of the Pune Jazz and Blues Club programs. https://www.facebook.com/PuneJazzBluesClub/
The first part will feature Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan, Bix Beiderbecke, Eric Dolphy, Paul Chambers and Jaco Pastorius.
All are welcome :)

Kishore,

We would be very happy if you could share the contents of your talk on here as well.
Perhaps you could copy paste your "talk notes" to a post on here.

Let me know what you think.

Regards.

Pulled out my box set of Coltrane vinyls. Todays play was the melodically rich MY FAVORITE THINGS
Cheers

Scot La Farro was another cat who died too young. His Live at the Village Vanguard with drummer Paul Motian and Bill Evans is my go to album for jazz that is effortlessly listenable and yet such great music too. It's said that Bill Evans was inconsolable when he heard the news of La Farro's tragic demise in an accident not long after their date at the Village Vanguard.

Amy Winehouse, the bad, bad girl of jazz, was another one who left us too soon.

She had a style all her own. She was all at once moody and melancholic, coquettish and naughty.

Sunday evening listening ...

R-3028237-1363166634-3249.jpeg.jpg

Virtually every re-issue these days is made from a digital source. If you’re lucky, they’ve got it from the original master tape, and, if so, they usually advertise the fact with a sticker on the packaging. Remastering of the digital copy is most often done in hi-definition, but there are some unscrupulous companies who may use a CD copy from something digitised in the 1980s. The proof is in the hearing, as you will find some reissues that sound terrible..
Luckily, my 12 vinyl BOX set of the heavyweight champion (Altlantic recordings John Coltrane) is from the original master tape.How will this digital remaster sound as compared to the analogue master tape ?The Coleman box set surely looks extremely tempting.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075K1XNFR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_FHn3AbNVFFQTS

Cheers

"Hey Laura" is my fav track from that album:)

Beautiful track that one but there are a couple of good ones in there.
"Musical Genocide" is another I like a lot apart from the title song 'Liquid Spirit"
Listening right now to "Wolfcry" which is a hidden gem.

Nikhil- Do you have the CD or the Blu Ray audio disc of the album "Liquid Spirit"? If you have both which one is your favourite?
Thanks.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back